Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Improved domestic F catering ex-Seattle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

A new press release appeared on Delta.com today announcing catering updates ex-Seattle. Looks like Delta is doubling down on Seattle-based brands for catering here... a nice match to Alaska's offerings.

http://news.delta.com/seattle-s-famo...ch-new-heights

Some of the new menu items sound pretty good:

Delta’s chefs partner closely with the suppliers to craft menus. Sample menu pairings include:
  • Pappardelle’s lavender fettuccine with Pike Place Fish Market’s wild Alaskan coho salmon and Northwest Seafood Seasoning
  • Uli’s Famous German bratwurst and smoked bacon sausage with German potato salad and sauerkraut with sautéed apples
  • Garden vegetable salad with Pike Place Fish Market candied salmon and Beecher’s Flagship cheese with lemon vinaigrette
They've also partnered with Fremont Brewing for beer onboard on west coast shuttle routes - would love to see that expanded further, as they are my go-to brewery for camping (as they produce a high-quality product in cans).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I'd love it if they started catering the beer on some of the international routes out of Seattle. That would make me really happy.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
This is perfect, flying to a wedding in SEA this weekend with my mother who will be in F for the first time ever with me. Get to try out some of this out on our flight back home sunday night.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Drat. I never seem to win with these special features. Here, flying SEA-MCO on 10 August in F.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL
Does anyone else find it strange that they give you beer in a bottle on these flights? Not complaining but kind of defeats the purpose of TSA taking away my tweezers...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yikes, as much as the Midwesterner in me will like the bratwurst and sauerkraut, I can't imagine that smelling too good throughout the planes when the ovens are turned on.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've got a SEA-HNL flight in December. Any chance this catering will extend to Hawaii from Seattle?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
When I see this kind of 'improved catering' on these highly specific routes, I feel like DL is basically telling those of us who fly their other (bread and butter) routes that we aren't worth the 'good stuff'. Am I the only one who feels this way? I've seen the same meals (the same breakfast omelet with a slightly different filling for example) on routes I fly for so many years I couldn't even venture a guess as to how long.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
What they dont tell you in the public press release but is posted internally on the new menu is that they are still employing the same one hot, one cold menu options. And all of the salads sound....less than desirable. I believe one comes with a side of cold baby shrimp.

Remember to check your FEBO on these flights
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by inthecloud
What they dont tell you in the public press release but is posted internally on the new menu is that they are still employing the same one hot, one cold menu options. And all of the salads sound....less than desirable. I believe one comes with a side of cold baby shrimp.

Remember to check your FEBO on these flights
Hey, I actually like the cold shrimp cocktail from the SEA-APAC economy dinners
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
When I see this kind of 'improved catering' on these highly specific routes, I feel like DL is basically telling those of us who fly their other (bread and butter) routes that we aren't worth the 'good stuff'. Am I the only one who feels this way? I've seen the same meals (the same breakfast omelet with a slightly different filling for example) on routes I fly for so many years I couldn't even venture a guess as to how long.
Mostly they are saying "These are highly competitive routes and the passengers are a demographic we think might choose us over the competition as a result of this." Nothing personal, but it's not much solace when flying ATL-LAX or MSP-LAX every week and getting nothing new.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yuck...I don't eat fish so am happy I am not a SEA traveler.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
I thought that I was the only one. Thanks for letting me admit this.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Originally Posted by BenA
I had something like that on MSP-NRT a year ago:
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yuck...I don't eat fish so am happy I am not a SEA traveler.
Definitely not ideal for those who don't enjoy fish, for sure - this topic came up in the office as we were discussing the new Delta menu. They may find the catering quantities between their meal choices are different for these than some others, and may want to ensure a non seafood option is always available as the other meal.

I will say, though - as someone who grew up in the South and moved to Seattle as an adult, the seafood really does taste different to me here. Fresh Alaskan salmon in particular is much less "fishy" than elsewhere, and I was really surprised I enjoyed it when I sampled some at a work event soon after making the move. I steadfastly avoided all seafood until that point, too - turns out that growing up inland I never got to try the good stuff when it was fresh.

Not saying Delta's onboard catering will change anyone's mind, but if your only experiences with seafood have been inland or with the species common in the Atlantic, I'd encourage you to try some well prepared salmon if you ever find yourself in Seattle. Worst case, you can at least be confident you'll be able to wash it down with a great beer or wine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.