Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Upgrade Priority Email today from Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Upgrade Priority Email today from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by LBJ
You guys are late to the party. Most of this was announced and discussed way back in April --

Delta Simplifies Clearance Priority for Comp Upgrades
Agree we are already talking about this months ago

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ion-level.html
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I hope you are correct. I have been finding myself further and further down on upgrade lists and been wondering why.
Except the policy for Y fares has been in place since April 30th. If it was going to have an impact, it should have already been noticable.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
As long as it is for a single companion I don't have any issue with this. If somebody is traveling often enough that they are taking advantage (and take up an upgrade) on a regular basis then they're going to earn status on their own anyway.

I am interested in the "fare grouping" language though. Is that a change so instead of going by each fare class you instead have something more like "Full fare", "discounted", "Deeply discounted", etc, with each grouping having any number of fare classes included?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I hope you are correct. I have been finding myself further and further down on upgrade lists and been wondering why.
And I have been holding at 90% or so. And the only two I have missed in the last few months I was squarely number 1 on the list.
Originally Posted by LBJ
Except the policy for Y fares has been in place since April 30th. If it was going to have an impact, it should have already been noticable.
You aren't going to notice these changes....certainly not with any certainty.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
It's all somewhat speculative as to the numbers, but this is somewhat, if not more than, offset by Platinums no longer losing upgrades to Silver and Gold Medallions on Y fare tickets.

If the Diamond does is lower priority than the DM with the companion. Note that the companions must be on the same reservations, and if the companion is on a T-class ticket, so would the DM, and that's the main criteria for priority after Medallion level.
No. I buy my Y fare and just call the Diamond line and give them the record locator of my buddy on the T fare and have them add her to my reservation. The other poor schmuck diamond who doesn't have a reserve card will be enjoying that C- seat and pretzels while my buddy enjoys all the bananas, and pita chips & hummus she can get from the snack basket
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:56 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jimrpa
No. I buy my Y fare and just call the Diamond line and give them the record locator of my buddy on the T fare and have them add her to my reservation. The other poor schmuck diamond who doesn't have a reserve card will be enjoying that C- seat and pretzels while my buddy enjoys all the bananas, and pita chips & hummus she can get from the snack basket
no, your buddy will not be on the same PNR and thus won't clear with you.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
I think good news for DMs and most PMs. I think there are a lot more Y FOs and GMs out there than people think there are.
I'd much rather see a Y FO or GM clear than some DM"s no-status "companion".

For people in relationships, I'm sure the relationship can survive a few hours of separation. If it can't and if the relationship is that important that you must be together for those few hours, either decline the upgrade or pay to upgrade the companion.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Outside of gov't fares, are there really that many full Y fares sold? It's often (even just before the flight) cheaper to buy an UP fare to get First, and the premium for full Y is so large, that you'd have to have a LOT of cancellations to make it worthwhile.

Just took a quick look at a flight LGA-ORD that leaves in two hours. You can get non-refundable coach for $208, refundable coach for $338 (FLEX), refundable FIRST for $446, and a Y fare is $945.

Even if there weren't the $338 or $446 options, you'd have to think that the odds of cancellation were around 80% to make the Y fare a good bet.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by 355F1
Is this the first time DL has been so utterly transparent on this????? Or anything? LoL
This. All jokes aside, this is the clearest outline of how upgrade priority is supposed to work that I've ever seen DL publish.

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
They forgot to include the fine print

Due to aggressive and idiotic FCM pricing non-status members will be purchasing a cheap G fare on the redeye to SDC to your flight and leave 0 seats available at the gate
I'd venture that very few non-status pax would know to do that, even fewer would actually take the risk, and even fewer would be willing to pay the $50 required (each way).

Like it or not, DL's new FC pricing is resulting in more people just buying FC seats on ALL flights. As long as you're not bound by a corporate booking engine like Concur (and even sometimes when you are), you also have the opportunity to buy those same FCM fares if it's that important.

That's my question (aside from companions): now that Comfort + is considered an "upgrade", it's unclear as to what class/seats you can upgrade into if traveling on an award ticket. At least anything in writing from DL.

For the awards you booked, was this after mid-May, when Comfort+ became a new class?
Mrs. Lee has no status anymore. Anytime I'm booked on an award ticket with her, neither of us is eligible for an upgrade. She decided not to go on one trip, and after cancelling her out of the PNR, I was able to request the upgrade and immediately moved into WU. I was on the UG list for FC but nowhere close to getting it.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
This all assumes that there are any seats available for comp UGs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/bu...e=sectionfront
The answer to the question as to what prompted today's Delta email.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta - GM
here is my question:
DM plus companion on a Y fare
DM on a Y fare (alone)

only one seat left is first:
who gets the upgrade the single PNR DM or give to the DM with companion but companion out of luck??
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JKPFlyer
here is my question:
DM plus companion on a Y fare
DM on a Y fare (alone)

only one seat left is first:
who gets the upgrade the single PNR DM or give to the DM with companion but companion out of luck??
I'd image that it would be the same all or nothing approach as before.

The better comparison would be DM w/+1 on a Y fare, vs a solo DM on a B fare, for one seat left. The DM on the B fare would get the upgrade, AFAIK. DL's announcement didn't include a change to that section of the rules.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Outside of gov't fares, are there really that many full Y fares sold? It's often (even just before the flight) cheaper to buy an UP fare to get First, and the premium for full Y is so large, that you'd have to have a LOT of cancellations to make it worthwhile.

Just took a quick look at a flight LGA-ORD that leaves in two hours. You can get non-refundable coach for $208, refundable coach for $338 (FLEX), refundable FIRST for $446, and a Y fare is $945.

Even if there weren't the $338 or $446 options, you'd have to think that the odds of cancellation were around 80% to make the Y fare a good bet.
Maybe this doesn't happen often but I just returned from a trip to CPH. I bought a $2K DL YWW ticket 9/15 with all but OKC-ATL-OKC on AF medal.

In January of this year, this was a huge AF time change so I moved the outbound to DL medal. That changed OKC-ATL from confirmed FC to C+. I did clear at the five-day mark but obviously would have preferred to keep the original (immediate) upgrade which stayed on place on the return since that stayed on AF medal.

I average about one such ticket a year and will be distracted by this change regard Y segments.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GoCanes
I agree that this change is quite annoying.

I am also going to assume that most diamonds are business travelers and more likely than not are flying without a spouse. However, I do see Diamonds now not being concerned about booking a ticket with a colleague or someone else traveling with them knowing it will not impact their upgrade chances and now give a chance to bring their companion up front ahead of other medallions.

I could have tolerated this with a spouse or family member - not Johnny from marketing.
"Tolerate?" I have brought many co-workers, friends, and family members into exclusively flying DL due to my recommendation, and them having positive experiences with DL when flying with me. Recently, a flight was delayed 45 minutes, many F passengers changed flights, and my companion who was on the F upgrade list (he was last, and everyone ahead of him cleared) resigned himself to sitting in his exit row seat.

Everyone else boarded, and the GA came on board with his new BP for 4D. I was very appreciative, and told her such, and said this is exactly why I continue to fly DL. Why should the most loyal people, who also likely bring in a lot of business from other travelers, not be awarded when traveling together and doubling the airline's revenue with one reservation?

Originally Posted by dmorbust
Yes and yes. I definitely have cleared into first on an award itinerary from economy. The only restrictive rule in the past was that while a Medallion is on an award itinerary, his/her companion is not eligible for the (first class) upgrade list.
And now, companions on award tickets are not eligible for C+ upgrades as it is a separate booking class. However, if you call in, some agents are nice enough to waive the exit row seats and place the companion on an award ticket there.

Thanks good to know that you cleared into Comfort+ after mid-May. For those same tickets, were you able to upgrade to first/business, or at least were you on the upgrade list?
I have been immediately cleared into C+ in every award ticket I've booked since 5/16. Humorously enough, on the same LAX-BOS nonstop route (albeit different days of the week), I did not clear as a DM on a paid B fare even at the gate. I did clear as a DM on a lowest level N ticket 3 days in advance on the same route a few weeks later.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WWads
I'd image that it would be the same all or nothing approach as before.

The better comparison would be DM w/+1 on a Y fare, vs a solo DM on a B fare, for one seat left. The DM on the B fare would get the upgrade, AFAIK. DL's announcement didn't include a change to that section of the rules.
No, the DM on the B fare wouldn't [and shouldn't] get the upgrade, as they wouldn't be #1 on the list. Many GAs may, out of courtesy, call up #1 and ask if they wish to be separated; but there is a reason the person with the higher fare class is #1 instead of #3.

To go back to the original comparison, of two DMs both on a Y fare...it would go down the priority list until one of the tiebreakers made a difference. The companion would have the same "status" as the DM, including tiebreakers, but would be exactly one position below the DM (come September).

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I am interested in the "fare grouping" language though. Is that a change so instead of going by each fare class you instead have something more like "Full fare", "discounted", "Deeply discounted", etc, with each grouping having any number of fare classes included?
This is my primary concern too. Where do "W" fares fall for domestic itineraries in purchased C+? DL should be transparent about this.

I don't think DL has used fare class "groupings" in recent memory - i.e., considering DMs in Y and B as part of the same "grouping" and going to tiebreakers after that. In the last three years for me, it's always been that the DM on the Y is higher than the DM on the B, and no additional tiebreakers are necessary. This is because I have asked GAs multiple times and they have blatantly told me that someone above me had a higher fare class (some even say the fare class letter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.