Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to London - Got Global Upgrade - Request Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to start this with a Delta related slant, but have some non-Delta questions at the end.

Finally used my Global Upgrade certs, Tucson-Atlanta-Heathrow in October for my wife and I. Got the upgrades on all four flights. Excellent. Looking forward to my very first international flight in the lay-flat Delta One cabin. Hard to believe i've flown 1.5M miles with Delta and have never flown out of the country.

Also notating a SEVERE drop in fares. I've been watching for the September-October fares from Tucson to London and they have been consistently in the $1,400 range. Suddenly this week they dropped to $688 (which I got today). Could the BREXIT decision have impacted fares?

Final request is for any hotel recommendations in London (Marriott properties mainly - and YES, i've searched the Marriott forums. There's nothing recent for any potential flamers). Any London savvy people recommend MUST DO things for a week stay besides the obvious?

Any and all information is welcome.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're going to be staying in the same Marriott for a week on points, consider taking a travel package from Marriott. It will give you the award hotel nights plus some FF miles to add to your account in your choice of programs. People consider these to be better deals than using MR points for regular hotel redemptions. There's a big thread on travel packages in the MR forum on FT.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RVBOOS
Final request is for any hotel recommendations in London (Marriott properties mainly - and YES, i've searched the Marriott forums. There's nothing recent for any potential flamers). Any London savvy people recommend MUST DO things for a week stay besides the obvious?
Even if there aren't any recent threads there, I'd still think you're more likely to get useful replies about Marriott properties sooner by starting a new thread in the Marriott forum than here.

Similarly, perhaps Destinations > UK & Ireland. Might help narrow things down if you specified some interests.

^ for searching first though, and congrats on clearing all 4 GUC segments in advance!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'm going to start this with a Delta related slant, but have some non-Delta questions at the end.

Finally used my Global Upgrade certs, Tucson-Atlanta-Heathrow in October for my wife and I. Got the upgrades on all four flights. Excellent. Looking forward to my very first international flight in the lay-flat Delta One cabin. Hard to believe i've flown 1.5M miles with Delta and have never flown out of the country.

Also notating a SEVERE drop in fares. I've been watching for the September-October fares from Tucson to London and they have been consistently in the $1,400 range. Suddenly this week they dropped to $688 (which I got today). Could the BREXIT decision have impacted fares?

Any and all information is welcome.
I was in london 10 days ago and walked by the following hotels:
- Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
- London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch  
Both are very nice and great location, walking distance to a lot of attractions.

for something hipper, a friend recently stayed at the The London EDITION, it's an Ian Shraeger Hotel. Cool neighborhood.
Highly recommend Stef's Italian Kitchen a few doors down.

You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
To LA2CDG's list I would add Marriott County Hall, across the Thames from Big Ben, Parliament, and Westminister Abbey, adjacent to the London Eye wheel.

Beyond the obvious? With seven nights, it is a perfect chance to spend at least 2 or 3 of those days with the evening, rather than the daytime, as the focus. West End theater, Royal Opera, fine and casual dining. Sleep in on a few of the mornings and indulge in the afternoon and evening hours.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jun 29, 2016 at 10:17 pm
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a stunning newish Renaissance at St Pancras, London, in a historic building, although I suspect that the room sizes are highly variable.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:19 am

Wouldn't recommend the Marble Arch Marriott unless you're trying to save money/points. The Grosvenor House is nicer and more central (right next to the park and halfway between Mayfair and Marlebone).

Recommendations:
- Cafe Helen 2 on Edgeware Rd (best schwarma)
- Punjab in Covent Garden (best Indian food and one of my favorite restaurants in London)
- Duck and Waffle (24/7 fancy diner on the 40th floor of Heron tower; get reservations 2 months in advance as it books up quickly)
- Primrose Hill in Regents park offers a great view of the city
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

Beyond the obvious? With seven nights, it is a perfect chance to spend at least 2 or 3 of those days with the evening, rather than the daytime, as the focus. West End theater, Royal Opera, fine and casual dining. Sleep in on a few of the mornings and indulge in the afternoon and evening hours.
This x 1,000!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by LA2CDG
I was in london 10 days ago and walked by the following hotels:
- Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
- London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch  
Both are very nice and great location, walking distance to a lot of attractions.

for something hipper, a friend recently stayed at the The London EDITION, it's an Ian Shraeger Hotel. Cool neighborhood.
Highly recommend Stef's Italian Kitchen a few doors down.

You can't go wrong with any of them.
I hilariously misread your post and thought you said you were walked by both hotels.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Last summer stayed 5 nights at the Edition. Loved it. As plat they gave me free breakfast in the morning which was beyond excellent. Love the property and location.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:55 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I suggest the OP read the following post and then post any follow-up questions in the thread in the Marriott Forum; the last post there was three days ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26237674-post3413.html
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Also notating a SEVERE drop in fares. I've been watching for the September-October fares from Tucson to London and they have been consistently in the $1,400 range. Suddenly this week they dropped to $688 (which I got today). Could the BREXIT decision have impacted fares?.
OMG - that is huge. BREXIT can not have made that much difference so soon surely?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
If you are interested in good beer, check out www.BeerGuideLDN.com

Disclaimer -- I did the software while a friend in London punishes his liver by visiting all the pubs
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OMG - that is huge. BREXIT can not have made that much difference so soon surely?
Yes it can. Heck Virgin Group announced they've lost a 1/3rd of its value since tye vote. The pound has dropped to all time lows and will probably continue falling. Also DL is bound by agreement with pilots to fly X hrs to/from LHR.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes. I had a BA fare SFO-LHR in F drop $2,500

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.