Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Chris Elliott double smackdown on DL today

Chris Elliott double smackdown on DL today

Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
The idiot who wrote the article is getting a lot of pushback in the comments section. I guess people aren't as willing to accept propaganda as this website thinks.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by WWads
The idiot who wrote the article is getting a lot of pushback in the comments section. I guess people aren't as willing to accept propaganda as this website thinks.
I wonder if he will ever get off his moms couch in the basement....seems unlikely.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I got in by just opening the elliott.org website and finding the two DL articles on the first page. Still, it seems strange that a hotel website would try the block anything that isn't clearly extremely offensive. Maybe I should experiment with some other websites and see whether they try to block other stuff too.
It has nothing to do with the hotel. I get the message also. It's how I knew what you were talking about. It has to deal with that the website is using an incorrect default index file name. Common error on many websites. Since there's no default index.html it acts like you're trying to view the directory. Basically it's poor Web design.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Basically it's poor Web design.
Then it's a perfect match for the content.

David
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:20 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
No just click in the address bar where the link address appears after clicking on the link and click go or hit enter it will load. Its a matter of how the website is setup.
Yup. Looks like it's checking the referrer and blocking direct links from either this thread or all of FlyerTalk. Maybe someone should write to Chris Elliott complaining about travel bloggers who put easily-circumvented "access control" methods on their websites? That's probably the airlines' fault too.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Yup. Looks like it's checking the referrer and blocking direct links from either this thread or all of FlyerTalk. Maybe someone should write to Chris Elliott complaining about travel bloggers who put easily-circumvented "access control" methods on their websites? That's probably the airlines' fault too.
But according to Elliott's philosophy, we should all be equal and there should never be status differences in the travel industry. So doesn't that imply that people coming to his website via a link on FT should be treated exactly the same as anyone else? We shouldn't be treated like kettles or "nobodies" to elliott.org.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by WWads
And of course the moderator on the site refuses to approve my critical comment about the article.

Basically what I said was that the terms of an E fare are clearly outlined, and if he wanted more flexibility, he should have purchased a more expensive fare. Another misleading website with an agenda, it seems.
It has nothing to do with the hotel. I get the message also. It's how I knew what you were talking about. It has to deal with that the website is using an incorrect default index file name. Common error on many websites. Since there's no default index.html it acts like you're trying to view the directory. Basically it's poor Web design.
These Elliott.org jokers are so scared of examination by experienced travelers that they block all links from FlyerTalk. it's a known paranoid delusion with them. Cut and paste the link into a new window and it opens right up.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
When I first signed up for elliott.org, the Gmail internal filter sent it to the spam folder, without any action on my part. Smart, that filter
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by kop84

The second guy wanted a refund because his daughters ex is a sleaze. A: not DL's problem, and not really verifiable. Sure it sucks to be out money, but it's not like the caterer's give you a refund of your deposit.
But what if the caterer did give a partial refund but gave it to the ex boyfriend? I'm also against this policy of Delta's. They should give the credit for the canceled flight to the person that actually paid for it. I'm sure the reason they don't is that it's too difficult for their IT department to add the requisite code.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by yohanson
But what if the caterer did give a partial refund but gave it to the ex boyfriend? I'm also against this policy of Delta's. They should give the credit for the canceled flight to the person that actually paid for it. I'm sure the reason they don't is that it's too difficult for their IT department to add the requisite code.
Refunds go back to the form of original payment.

Credits for non-refundable tickets stay with the person named on the ticket. Even the travel departments of large corporations have to deal with that.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jun 29, 2016 at 6:47 pm
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Refunds go back to the form of original credit.

Credits for non-refundable tickets stay with the person named on the ticket. Even the travel departments of large corporations have to deal with that.

David
Not any more! Credits for non-refundable tickets purchase through Concur at my company get applied nearly immediately to currently purchased tickets for anyone else on a ticketed flight on the same carrier. They have been doing this since the end of last year. In fact, I canceled a flight and then immediately booked another flight to a different city and couldn't use the credit that was showing. In the past, you had to actually rebook the same airline if you had a credit. It showed in my wallet for a couple of days on delta.com then disappeared. I've also gotten an email telling me that an unused credit from a different employee was applied to my ticket shortly after booking a flight. I had no unused credit at the time.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Not any more! Credits for non-refundable tickets purchase through Concur at my company get applied nearly immediately to currently purchased tickets for anyone else on a ticketed flight on the same carrier. They have been doing this since the end of last year. In fact, I canceled a flight and then immediately booked another flight to a different city and couldn't use the credit that was showing. In the past, you had to actually rebook the same airline if you had a credit. It showed in my wallet for a couple of days on delta.com then disappeared. I've also gotten an email telling me that an unused credit from a different employee was applied to my ticket shortly after booking a flight. I had no unused credit at the time.
That sounds like an arrangement your company has with DL due to perhaps a centrally billed account. And good for them for being able to negotiate that (seriously, it's a great practice for businesses that have that negotiating power).

But for everyday consumers, such as the folks who write in to Elliott, they're buying run of the mill tickets directly from the airline. The rules there are clear and pretty consistent across all the major players - nonrefundable tickets cannot be refunded, only changed, and usually with a fee and of course the fare difference. The passenger is one aspect that cannot be changed, thus a flight credit (issued as an intermediary step to allow the "change" of a ticket when not needing the existing flights is known but the new flights desired are not yet known) is issued to the passenger and must be used by the same passenger.

AFAIK this is not unique to Delta.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:07 pm

Unless you want DL CSR's to be able to see far more credit card/personal information on who actually purchased the ticket, then you're asking a phone CSR to take someone's word for it that they have a valid reason to get the refund...and they actually paid for it.

Wait until the first time that someone calls in to mess with their Ex telling some sob story about how they bought the ticket so their spouse could see their dying mom, and now it turns out their going on vacation with someone else...DL refunds the ticket leaving the ex stuck at the airport with no tickets.

While the Ex doesn't get the money it goes to the original form of payment, but their reservation is gone....don't pretend this wouldn't happen.

If you buy tickets for someone else you're assuming some risk.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the parents can't get the credit for fianc's cancelled ticket, is there something they can do to prevent him from using it other than not telling him about it and hoping that he doesn't find out how to use the credit? I would imagine that they would rather make a donation to DL than to this guy.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Their best hope is a cancellation or major flight change so they can request a refund.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.