Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carts in the aisle of F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
carts in the aisle of F

Today I was flying between SFO - MSP in the F Cabin.

I found it a bit odd that the FA's did both drink service, then dinner service from a cart in the F cabin.

I have never seen this before on any domestic delta flight. Is this a new process?

Last edited by ryandc99; Jun 28, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
On domestic flights no its not. Didn't happen to be a widebody did it?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
No, it was a 757-200
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryandc99

I found it a bit odd that the FA's did both drink service, then dinner service from a cart in the F cabin.

I have never seen this before on any domestic delta flight. Is this a new process?
I've flown MSP-LAX and MSP-SFO in F over the past three months and never saw a cart.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I've only had service from the cart once in F domestically on DL (even in widebodies) and that was on a turbulent flight from MSY-LGA.

The FA was excellent and the turbulence was noticeable and random enough where doing a long service through Y was not advisable (and most of the FAs serving Y were seated) but the FA eventually decided, after consulting the cockpit, that she was going to serve us.

She and a colleague quickly got up, pushed out a cart for drinks, then for food (including soup that she poured) and they quickly sat down. They made passes later to collect trays en masse and refill drinks. I really appreciated what they did, and the turbulence was pretty minimal when they got up (probably thanks to the consultation with the cockpit) and they were efficient, friendly, and it felt and looked safe for all.

Otherwise it doesn't seem to be SOP to serve from the cart. Even in D1, they usually only do drinks from the cart, which is covered by a black fabric with white delta lettering to make it look "fancier." Only the starter course is served at the same time from the black fabric-covered "cart" in D1, all other meals are served individually. Sometimes a shorter cart is used for sundaes in D1.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I've only had service from the cart once in F domestically on DL (even in widebodies) and that was on a turbulent flight from MSY-LGA.

The FA was excellent and the turbulence was noticeable and random enough where doing a long service through Y was not advisable (and most of the FAs serving Y were seated) but the FA eventually decided, after consulting the cockpit, that she was going to serve us.

She and a colleague quickly got up, pushed out a cart for drinks, then for food (including soup that she poured) and they quickly sat down. They made passes later to collect trays en masse and refill drinks. I really appreciated what they did, and the turbulence was pretty minimal when they got up (probably thanks to the consultation with the cockpit) and they were efficient, friendly, and it felt and looked safe for all.

Otherwise it doesn't seem to be SOP to serve from the cart. Even in D1, they usually only do drinks from the cart, which is covered by a black fabric with white delta lettering to make it look "fancier." Only the starter course is served at the same time from the black fabric-covered "cart" in D1, all other meals are served individually. Sometimes a shorter cart is used for sundaes in D1.
There was no turbulence during the service, so I def. saw this is as an odd way to perform the service.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That sounds more like a retro (pre-merger NW) service than DL.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That sounds more like a retro (pre-merger NW) service than DL.
Agreed, that was my first thought. Although I've yet to encounter any FA's who have used the cart on my exMSP flts which is where I would have expected to see it.

There was a mild chuckle last week when the FA was doing the arrival announcements and thanked us for flying NW. We're going on what 7 years post merger?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Welcome back to the DL forum.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
There were rumors a while back that they were bringing this back. I had it once (do not remember the route) but the FA said she did it because it was more efficient and without saying it, basically was saying, "Their rules are stupid". Not sure if she was a NWA FA or not. I definitely think it can be more efficient especially for drinks.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Welcome back to the DL forum.
Thank you! It has been a while!

I would assume this was a PMNW crew given we were flying into MSP, but there is no way to tell honestly.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thank you! It has been a while!

I would assume this was a PMNW crew given we were flying into MSP, but there is no way to tell honestly.
PMNW MSP-based crew would be a good guess, but I've had ATL, DTW, and IIRC NYC based crew on this route.

The MSP station seems to be getting some more recently hired crew these days, with younger looking ones even working the international routes. Plus, two long-term pursers whom I know personally are gone.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
On a 757 or a wide body where there is a lav in the front and rear of F I don't have an issue with a cart. On other narrow bodies it could be irritating to have a cart in F and not be able to access the F lav. On the other hand, if they could just leave a self service drink cart in the rear of F to keep Y pax out. . . .
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
On a 757 or a wide body where there is a lav in the front and rear of F I don't have an issue with a cart. On other narrow bodies it could be irritating to have a cart in F and not be able to access the F lav. On the other hand, if they could just leave a self service drink cart in the rear of F to keep Y pax out. . . .
I can see it now keep Y out of F, but since it's self serve all those Y passengers would be stealing the woodfords from the cart unless it was locked down.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That would indeed be nice: a DIY self service bar on the flight, just like big sister AF does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.