Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are these still valid?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DAMN! that's impressive
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Been saving this since '69
So the label is inaccurate? The contents would actually be about 61 years old?

Does scotch go bad after it sits too long?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jimrpa

Yes. It certainly does not get better with age, and would likely be undrinkable at this point.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jimrpa

No idea. Will let you know one day.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
as long as it's unopened it probably shouldn't deteriorate (at least too much) ...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:01 am

No idea. Will let you know one day.
Originally Posted by jrl767
as long as it's unopened it probably shouldn't deteriorate (at least too much) ...
It should be alright, but it's still 12 year old scotch that happens to be in a 47 year old bottle.

My dad had a bottle of Crown for 30+ years. It still tasted just like Crown that you could buy off the shelf.

Whisky stops aging when you take it out of the barrel...if only whisky worked like wine!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Is this like busting out the ABCDE tickets at Disney?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:09 am

Mine is kooler cuz it's older

Not sure if I approve of putting ice cubes in my Woodford as Delta shows above however!
When you see"Movie Headset" know you really know you got that certificate from a 747 or DC 10. Remember those old pneumatic plastic headsets with the big plastic two prong connector? Where you select the channel from 1-12 and volume. Ahh those were the days. Now you could get away with your own headset and adapter and get AVOD.

As for the drinks I wonder is there an expiration date? It says to look at the back for the terms and conditions. I am sure there may be something along the lines of"Subject to availability and the validity must be between a certain time period". Back in the 90s I am sure the drinks were less so perhaps you may have to pay the difference. I wonder if the FA would even know what to do with this old certificate and what the reaction will be when she or he sees'Movie Headset".

Also I see no Date of Issue or signature by a Delta rep. Where the Delta Rep signature should be it looks altered(as in whited out) so could this make it null and void? It also says "void where prohibited by law". So i am wondering not to rain on your parade OP if it will be accepted. Like iI say you can try but don't be disappointed and act like a DWKIA passenger if its not accepted.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:23 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
More than likely they will just take the coupon and give the drink for free. aThey will either turn it in, if they still have a system to do so with the barcodes, or just keep it themselves, trash it, or offer it to an FA/Pilot as memorabilia.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Been saving this since '69
Outside of sentimental value, I'm not certain why you would do this?

However, if it does hold sentimental value and plan on drinking it with old friends/family, that's pretty awesome.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by danielonn
Back in the 90s I am sure the drinks were less so perhaps you may have to pay the difference.
LOL

I'd bet good money that any FA in the fleet would just take one of these and hand over a drink. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they provided the drink and let the pax keep the coupon. The only questions they'd ask might be out of curiosity of how old it is, where the pax came across it, etc.

Pay the difference from the cost of a drink 20 years ago? Do we think those prices are kept handy in the FA manual or something??!?

Show me an FA who turns down one of these coupons and I'll show you a Bed Bath & Beyond who won't accept expired 20% off coupons.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ruckzac
Agree to disagree. The flavours in a Scotch may be enhanced by adding a tiny bit of room temperature water, but adding rocks is certainly not recommended by any connoisseur of Scotch. (Unless you're referring to the fact that Delta only serves mediocre Scotch like Dewars.)

Just saw that AA is bringing back The Glenlivet. It would be nice if Delta would do the same.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
When you see"Movie Headset" know you really know you got that certificate from a 747 or DC 10. Remember those old pneumatic plastic headsets with the big plastic two prong connector? Where you select the channel from 1-12 and volume. Ahh those were the days. Now you could get away with your own headset and adapter and get AVOD.

As for the drinks I wonder is there an expiration date? It says to look at the back for the terms and conditions. I am sure there may be something along the lines of"Subject to availability and the validity must be between a certain time period". Back in the 90s I am sure the drinks were less so perhaps you may have to pay the difference. I wonder if the FA would even know what to do with this old certificate and what the reaction will be when she or he sees'Movie Headset".

Also I see no Date of Issue or signature by a Delta rep. Where the Delta Rep signature should be it looks altered(as in whited out) so could this make it null and void? It also says "void where prohibited by law". So i am wondering not to rain on your parade OP if it will be accepted. Like iI say you can try but don't be disappointed and act like a DWKIA passenger if its not accepted.
You forgot the L-1011 - my favorite plane Of the era
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
Just saw that AA is bringing back The Glenlivet. It would be nice if Delta would do the same.
Dang. If DL and AA were otherwise even, that alone would convince me to switch. #WeWantDrinkableScotch
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by WWads
Dang. If DL and AA were otherwise even, that alone would convince me to switch. #WeWantDrinkableScotch
LOL I love FTers :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.