Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

IAH KLM lounge... hardly worth the detour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, GOES

DL out of A term this morning at IAH, decided to ride down to D and check out the KLM lounge. Clean, comfy chairs, very basic food & self-serve bar, not sure why I expected more. But sort of a let-down. Nothing wrong, just.... yawn.

I should've gone over to the AF lounge, but was a bit short on time, and when I checked DL.com, the ST lounge drop-down indicated my SC Exec access was only good for the KLM lounge. Anyone have success on +1/2 in AF @ IAH?

PS - I'd read somewhere here that Pre wasn't available in Term A, but it was "walk right up" service this morning.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
At SFO the AF/KLM lounge is totally uninteresting. It looks like they have not done a thing to it since the early 90's, and good luck finding a power source!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EditingFX
DL out of A term this morning at IAH, decided to ride down to D and check out the KLM lounge. Clean, comfy chairs, very basic food & self-serve bar, not sure why I expected more. But sort of a let-down. Nothing wrong, just.... yawn.

I should've gone over to the AF lounge, but was a bit short on time, and when I checked DL.com, the ST lounge drop-down indicated my SC Exec access was only good for the KLM lounge. Anyone have success on +1/2 in AF @ IAH?

PS - I'd read somewhere here that Pre wasn't available in Term A, but it was "walk right up" service this morning.
Pre at A is short of funny. One one side it's there on thee other you get Pre light. THen just walk to whatever gate in A you need or over to D even.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:44 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I'll start at D if I'm going to the KLM lounge. Best part is that it's mostly bottled beverage, such as Perrier, St Archer beer, and there's to-go cups for coffee. The chips are good and some other packaged goods. I find it an ok stop, given that there's no other choices.

AF lounge, I didn't like at all. more minimal and remember thinking, don't bother walking the few extra steps. I don't think they even have bubbly there! So you're only missing out on additional disappointment.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
It is one of the best choices until the centurion lounge opens later this month. Self pour booze, decent wines, some limited food options, and a lace to sit. I agree it's not exceptional but at least it's open all day now.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:29 am

AF/KL only have each have 1 flight daily to IAH.

I'm sure they only keep both lounges open so that another airline can't come in to build one. I'm sure someone in the ME3 would love to open a lounge but may not be able to due to space limitations.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Wow, I'm surprised it's open much beyond the time of a single daily flight. With that info, I'll change my evaluation to "pleasantly surprised", as had I known that first, I'd not have expected it to be open at 7am.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
AF/KL only have each have 1 flight daily to IAH.

I'm sure they only keep both lounges open so that another airline can't come in to build one. I'm sure someone in the ME3 would love to open a lounge but may not be able to due to space limitations.
Interesting. I was about to ask why AF/KLM haven't combined their lounges or alternatively why IAH doesn't just have a combined SkyTeam lounge, although I'm not sure whether other partners such as KE and the Chinese carriers serve IAH.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:59 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by EditingFX
Wow, I'm surprised it's open much beyond the time of a single daily flight. With that info, I'll change my evaluation to "pleasantly surprised", as had I known that first, I'd not have expected it to be open at 7am.
They accept Priority Pass and I guess KLM may make a lot of money on this...
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Interesting. I was about to ask why AF/KLM haven't combined their lounges or alternatively why IAH doesn't just have a combined SkyTeam lounge, although I'm not sure whether other partners such as KE and the Chinese carriers serve IAH.
I did note that the majority (far and away the majority!) of the reading material in the KLM lounge was Korean. In fact, one of the few English language options was the Int'l NY Times.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TPJ
They accept Priority Pass and I guess KLM may make a lot of money on this...
They could get a lot fewer PP visitors after the Centurion lounge opens. I would guess that a lot of USA based PP members get it for free through AmEx.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Was in there earlier this week. Beyond the PP, did notice they also take the Lounge Club membership that you get with the Ritz Carlton credit card.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Given the half-a$$ approach to Pre-Chek in Terminal A, I go through security in terminal C and trot on over to the KLM club.

Less than great is better than nothing at all... and their scotch and Drambuie offset the otherwise minimalist approach. Actually, they have decent mini-sandwiches and reasonably good soup. Slightly less than par with Sky Club offerings.

Any port in a storm...
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
Last time I went through Terminal A, the checkpoint closest to Delta had "Pre Check lite" -- keep the shoes on, but pull out computers and liquids, and you get to avoid the nudiescope. The other entrance (near the American Airlines checkin) had a proper Pre Check.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:42 am

AF good at Dulles

It *is* worth hitting the AF club at Dulles, since no skyclub. It can get packed since there are so few lounges, but the food is good and a nice change (and better than) skyclub.

One reason I paid for a sc membership vs getting the reserve card is that, to my knowledge, that card won't get you into these lounges, but also I can go when not flying on Delta (I'm gov't and don't get to choose...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.