Qater/DL Atlanta A380 Premiere

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

No gate at ATL for QR

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/aviati...ort/index.html

Not DL's fault that QR didn't request the only gate at ATL that can handle a A380 ahead of time...you think that would be higher on their list of priorities.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Qater/DL Atlanta A380 Premiere

Another day, another event that shows DL is just pouting.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:43 am

I don't hate the ME3, but it looks like QR admittedly failed to give notice. Only one gate can accommodate them and they upgauged on short notice. They requested the gate during a time span that stretched at least 5 Delta flights. That's a nightmare to reschedule. I'm sure Delta didn't try hard at all to accommodate, but QR could have avoided this if they were thinking like a business.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:59 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by vincentharris

I haven't really followed this spat between DL and QR but after reading that article are they really doing this because QR receives funding from their governments? That sounds so juvenile.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
I haven't really followed this spat between DL and QR but after reading that article are they really doing this because QR receives funding from their governments? That sounds so juvenile.
The issue DL has with funding from the government isn't that they're propping up a failing carrier or helping through a tough time.

Its billions to allow QR, EK, EY to operate with out regard to basic supply and demand or profitability.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
I don't hate the ME3, but it looks like QR admittedly failed to give notice. Only one gate can accommodate them and they upgauged on short notice. They requested the gate during a time span that stretched at least 5 Delta flights. That's a nightmare to reschedule. I'm sure Delta didn't try hard at all to accommodate, but QR could have avoided this if they were thinking like a business.
There have been media reports for weeks that Qatar intended to bring the A380 for the first flight. This was no secret.

The Atlanta airport officials and Qatar Airways officials are either too stupid, or Delta holds too much control over the airport.

I get the whole spat between DL/ME3, but there's real victims here when you have disabled pax inconvenienced by not having a gate.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kop84
The issue DL has with funding from the government isn't that they're propping up a failing carrier or helping through a tough time.

Its billions to allow QR, EK, EY to operate with out regard to basic supply and demand or profitability.
If its propping up or helping during a tough time then why is DL still getting subsidies in GA today?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:28 am
Suspended

One of two things happened:

1. ATL intended for QR to operate the 777 into the airport, QR changed it too late to the A380 (after all the international gates were already assigned to other flights) and as such they had to park and bus passengers to the terminal.

2. DL threw a hissy fit and used an A320 to use up ATL's only A380 capable gate. Everyone on QR suffers. Poor planning on ATL's part.

Since I don't work for or have any insider info at DL, QR, or ATL, I am going to guess #1 happened.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:42 am

Why would you expect Delta to go out of its way to help when QR's stated objective is to "rub salt into Delta's wounds"?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

If its propping up or helping during a tough time then why is DL still getting subsidies in GA today?

If my parent's give me $20 and give my sister $20K can she tell me not to complain because we both got money from our folks?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by airplanegod
One of two things happened:

1. ATL intended for QR to operate the 777 into the airport, QR changed it too late to the A380 (after all the international gates were already assigned to other flights) and as such they had to park and bus passengers to the terminal.

2. DL threw a hissy fit and used an A320 to use up ATL's only A380 capable gate. Everyone on QR suffers. Poor planning on ATL's part.

Since I don't work for or have any insider info at DL, QR, or ATL, I am going to guess #1 happened.
QR stated months ago that the 380 would be on the inaugural route.

#2 is the winner. DL surely has some contractual agreement where only SkyTeam can use E3 (they likely helped fund its renovation) and obviously weren't going to let Qatar use it.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Sisters (and brothers) can complain about anything, and often do :-)
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:19 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)

If a foreign government wants to sink money into a business and subsidize it's costs isn't that their decision? Delta has no control over how it's competitors are spending (or receiving) their funding.

Edit: I understand it a little more now with the Open Skies agreement. So the problem is really that since the airlines are government owned, the government "agreed" to this open skies agreement and the fact that they might be subsidizing these new routes goes against that agreement. So if the airlines were owned by rich individuals who were sinking money into them and the same thing was going on, would DL have a problem with that?

Last edited by Ebes1099; Jun 2, 2016 at 12:35 pm
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

If my parent's give me $20 and give my sister $20K can she tell me not to complain because we both got money from our folks?
Not sure I understand this argument, just because the ME3 governments give more money than the USA does to DL dosent make the concept different.

DL complains that the ME3 get government subsidies, so does DL. Its the ole do as a I say not as I do.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nichojo
QR stated months ago that the 380 would be on the inaugural route.

#2 is the winner. DL surely has some contractual agreement where only SkyTeam can use E3 (they likely helped fund its renovation) and obviously weren't going to let Qatar use it.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.