Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta starting Portland, OR PDX-London

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Delta starting Portland, OR PDX-London

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-virg...ween-us-and-uk

Airlines create schedule to enhance customer choice, including new nonstop service between Portland and London
Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic today announced changes to their respective summer 2017 schedules to optimize their joint network between the United States and the United Kingdom. The move reflects the strong partnership between the two airlines, which is focused on offering customers more travel choices and flexibility.

The changes are as follows:

For Delta:

A new four times a week Portland, Oregon to London Heathrow seasonal service will begin on May 26, 2017, the first between this U.S. West Coast city and London.
Beginning March 26, 2017, the airline will add a second Detroit to London Heathrow service. This new flight replaces Virgin Atlantic's daily Detroit to London Heathrow service.
The airline will fly a third Atlanta to London Heathrow frequency, taking over the second daily service currently operated by Virgin Atlantic, beginning May 25, 2017. Virgin Atlantic will continue to operate one daily Atlanta to London Heathrow service.
For Virgin Atlantic:

Beginning March 26, 2017, the airline will start flying between Seattle and London Heathrow, replacing the daily service currently operated by Delta.
A daily nonstop service between New York-JFK and Manchester will commence May 25, 2017 replacing the service currently operated by Delta. Delta will resume service for the winter 2017
Old May 31, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
WOW. Surprised DL isn't starting PDX-CDG instead.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
PDX-AMS would cover most of the connections sought onward from CDG. PDX-LHR would seem to be more about O&D demand, especially since onward logical VS destinations out of LHR are very few (and zip for DL out of PDX).
Old May 31, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Existing discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-operated.html
Old May 31, 2016, 3:08 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
PDX-AMS would cover most of the connections sought onward from CDG.
Also, PDX-AMS is a "popular" Nike corporate route.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:06 pm

Well, not exactly zip out of PDX for DL connections. Depending on the arrival time in PDX, there are on-line connections to ANC, LAX, SEA, SFO, and SLC. There are also a host of AS connections, at least as long as the DL/AS partnership continues.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by oregold
Well, not exactly zip out of PDX for DL connections. Depending on the arrival time in PDX, there are on-line connections to ANC, LAX, SEA, SFO, and SLC. There are also a host of AS connections, at least as long as the DL/AS partnership continues.
Not zip in terms of available connections, but about zip in terms of logical ones. LAX, SEA, SLC, and SFO all have DL/VS LHR non-stops.

ANC? Yes, maybe. It would duplicate LHR-MSP/SLC/SEA-ANC with a modest improvement in distance flown. What's the average summer PDEW on LON-ANC? How many does DL carry today?
Old May 31, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Seems a bit of an odd route but I guess with VS taking over SEA-LHR, DL figures they'll have the aircraft laying around to give it a shot.

If nothing else this may be good for those searching for J awards to Europe (I realize this won't sustain the route). When I was searching for TYO-SEA awards one option that frequently came up for 80K was NRT-PDX-SEA, while NRT-SEA nonstop was pricing at 160K.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This will be interesting to watch. I don't think it will last with practically no feed on either end.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This will be interesting to watch. I don't think it will last with practically no feed on either end.
False. See reply #6.

"Well, not exactly zip out of PDX for DL connections. Depending on the arrival time in PDX, there are on-line connections to ANC, LAX, SEA, SFO, and SLC. There are also a host of AS connections, at least as long as the DL/AS partnership continues."
Old May 31, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jjka
False. See reply #6.

"Well, not exactly zip out of PDX for DL connections. Depending on the arrival time in PDX, there are on-line connections to ANC, LAX, SEA, SFO, and SLC. There are also a host of AS connections, at least as long as the DL/AS partnership continues."
And as was pointed out after that, with the exception of ANC, all of those other cities already have nonstop DL or VS service to LHR, so even if there is a minimal amount of feed it's not going to be high yield. And for the AS connections, that would apply for SEA equally - I don't think AS has any unique destinations out of PDX that aren't served from SEA, though I'm open to being proven wrong if there is a city or two that only has service to PDX. This route will require a lot of O&D to be sustainable unless DL can offer a few connections to VS at LHR with it too, though I don't even think that is that many options that aren't TATL for VS at LHR. The connections from SLC, LAX, SFO, etc. may offer a nice alternative in IROPS though but I don't see them being serious options for business travelers from the cities that already have nonstop service to LHR.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
False. See reply #6.

Delta and Alaska will not have a partnership unless Delta does a 180 and decides to play nice again. Otherwise that relationship is as good as dead and the doctor is on the way to call the time of death.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
False. See reply #6.

I disagree. It's virtually Zero. With AS partnership dissolving, this route is dead before launch. This will be a worse failure in comparison to NW launch of SEA-LHR. ....and NW had then the blessing Of AS and still failed.

Jiburi
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
I disagree. It's virtually Zero. With AS partnership dissolving, this route is dead before launch. This will be a worse failure in comparison to NW launch of SEA-LHR. ....and NW had then the blessing Of AS and still failed.

Jiburi
I don't think flights out of PDX are as dependent on connecting traffic as you think. I regularly meet people from our more rural areas that drive to PDX for flights and roll right past Alaska\Horizon outstations (i.e. PSC, RDM, EUG) in the process. A lot of people simply don't even consider using their nearest\home airport, and even more consciously choose not to for various reasons.

But I will say that between this flight, the AMS flight, Condor, and Icelandair all vying for summer leisure "whatever's cheapest to anywhere in Europe" travelers, I'd imagine something is going to have to give.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jiburi
With AS partnership dissolving, this route is dead before launch. This will be a worse failure in comparison to NW launch of SEA-LHR.
Sheesh. It's a 4x/week flight for a few months in the summer. Delta's not exactly betting the company on this.

So they give it a try for a summer. If it works, great. Bring it back in 2018. If it doesn't work, well...don't bring it back. It won't exactly be counted among the worst airline decisions of all time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.