Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I was told...No Upgrade Possible from Comfort+ "W" fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!

I had rather unplesant experience recently that I thought I share. I searched and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. My apologies to the "did you even search bro" group if it has already been covered.

I booked a RT flight from CVG-SFO in Comfort+. I decided that I wanted to use an upgrade cert for the flights, so called delta and asked if the upgrades were available. I gave them my conf# and info. By some miracle, there were upgrade buckets on all of the flights, so I ordered the upgrade certs.

When the certs arrived, I called back to process the upgrades. The upgrades were still there, but I was told that I could not upgrade the comfort + ticket using a certificate. They phone agent didn't have a way to upgrade a "W" fare to a first class seat. She took my info so she could call me back and then discussed it internally to see what could be done. When she called back, she was able to process the return W fare but not the outbout W fare. I didn't understand and the explaination was sketchy at best, but she did put in the extra effort to try to help.

After talking to several people at delta, the sky club ladies at CVG came through with the answer. The bottom line is that the W fare is not that fare class but only a "Desiginator". The actual fare class outbound was a T fare and the return fare was an M fare. This is not mentioned anywhere I can see, but she was able to print out my ITEN and show me where it says this. It reminded me of an "A" fare first class ticket that was sold as first class but was really a coach ticket with an upgade at booking. Sneaky!

I know that this is not a very common occurrence. Maybe more people here understand the struggle and have gone through similar situations than the traveling public, but it sheds light on the opaqueness of the ticketing system. I used to understand it becuase it was clear and laid out for you, but the waters keep getting more murkey. Stay cautious my friends.

Good luck fine peoples and Happy Travels!
Old May 31, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-w-w-fare.html
Old May 31, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by elmococker
I had rather unplesant experience recently that I thought I share. I searched and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. My apologies to the "did you even search bro" group if it has already been covered.

I booked a RT flight from CVG-SFO in Comfort+. I decided that I wanted to use an upgrade cert for the flights, so called delta and asked if the upgrades were available. I gave them my conf# and info. By some miracle, there were upgrade buckets on all of the flights, so I ordered the upgrade certs.

When the certs arrived, I called back to process the upgrades. The upgrades were still there, but I was told that I could not upgrade the comfort + ticket using a certificate. They phone agent didn't have a way to upgrade a "W" fare to a first class seat. She took my info so she could call me back and then discussed it internally to see what could be done. When she called back, she was able to process the return W fare but not the outbout W fare. I didn't understand and the explaination was sketchy at best, but she did put in the extra effort to try to help.

After talking to several people at delta, the sky club ladies at CVG came through with the answer. The bottom line is that the W fare is not that fare class but only a "Desiginator". The actual fare class outbound was a T fare and the return fare was an M fare. This is not mentioned anywhere I can see, but she was able to print out my ITEN and show me where it says this. It reminded me of an "A" fare first class ticket that was sold as first class but was really a coach ticket with an upgade at booking. Sneaky!

I know that this is not a very common occurrence. Maybe more people here understand the struggle and have gone through similar situations than the traveling public, but it sheds light on the opaqueness of the ticketing system. I used to understand it becuase it was clear and laid out for you, but the waters keep getting more murkey. Stay cautious my friends.

Good luck fine peoples and Happy Travels!
Underlying inventory has become a very tricky problem. It continues to be difficult to get a straight answer to a relatively simple situation.
I am not understanding why you could not upgrade the outbound flight with the underlying "T" fare. "T" fares are upgradeable with RUC's. Unless there is something I am not factoring in, if upgrade space is available, the T fare should have been upgradeable. What am I missing?

From Delta: Applicable Fare Classes: Certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta Air Lines or Delta Connection operated flights on published Main Cabin fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class. Certificate may not be used to upgrade other published fares booked in E class, Award Tickets or Pay with Miles tickets.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
From the sounds of ordering a certificate, I would think he used a Skybonus Upgrade Cert to get the upgrade and those may have more restrictions.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
You are correct baccarat0809. This was using a Skybonus Upgrade SB101 cert that requires a fare class of Y/B/M/S/H/Q/K. That adds a little to the confusion, but without transparency it is doesn't matter.

I appreciate the input Mr. Tickets.

Xeno, thanks for letting me slide for almost a half hour...

Happy travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.