Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Halifax YHZ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
We're not the one that keeps complaining about something that has never been true to begin with. This isn't some new revelation or some how different from every other carrier.
FlyerCo I clearly understand things are different hence my factual statement that I, living in Australia, am used to superior aviation offerings and Nth Americans accustomed to inferior offerings. I was seeking clarification on lounge access not whether DL offered a shower and private suites in F on its YHZ services!. Thus just chill, I was merely asking about lounge access in YHZ You clearly also fail to remember this is a forum where we ask questions and seek assistance and advice.

Thanks for clarification GoAmtrak and Sokolov.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
You clearly also fail to remember this is a forum where we ask questions and seek assistance and advice.
The thread was doing fine at serving that goal for a while. IMO where it started to head downhill was when you apparently did not like the idea that the US domestic and near-international market might be different than your usual travel markets, and implied that the US airlines should conform their service levels to your expectations vs. the norm for the market here, viz. your suggestion that if this is what passes for F then they should simply not bother and go all-Y, and throwing around phrases like "If they have no idea how to offer a proper 'F'" and "DL refuses to offer other than a drink" and accusing them of being "deceptive."

Sure, having a full F meal on a 90-minute flight is better than not having one. Is it a required aspect of a 90-minute flight? Hardly. But if that idea is unbearable for you, then you're in for a lot of disappointments (speaking of, sorry about the SA test series )
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
The thread was doing fine at serving that goal for a while. IMO where it started to head downhill was when you apparently did not like the idea that the US domestic and near-international market might be different than your usual travel markets, and implied that the US airlines should conform their service levels to your expectations vs. the norm for the market here, viz. your suggestion that if this is what passes for F then they should simply not bother and go all-Y, and throwing around phrases like "If they have no idea how to offer a proper 'F'" and "DL refuses to offer other than a drink" and accusing them of being "deceptive."

Sure, having a full F meal on a 90-minute flight is better than not having one. Is it a required aspect of a 90-minute flight? Hardly. But if that idea is unbearable for you, then you're in for a lot of disappointments (speaking of, sorry about the SA test series )
As I said; seeking clarification was the aim. That clarification was delivered re inferior service and no lounge access in YHZ. Flyertalk has done its job Just as you'd probably be impressed with levels of service in my part of the world I'm equally allowed to be less than thrilled with the levels of 'service' in yours.
Thanks guys!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:28 pm

As I said; seeking clarification was the aim. That clarification was delivered re inferior service and no lounge access in YHZ. Flyertalk has done its job Just as you'd probably be impressed with levels of service in my part of the world I'm equally allowed to be less than thrilled with the levels of 'service' in yours.
Thanks guys!
To be fair service would be pretty sh*t for SYD-WAG or SYD-OAG. A prop plane with no "service" at all and an airport with as many facilities as a bus station.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Just as you'd probably be impressed with levels of service in my part of the world I'm equally allowed to be less than thrilled with the levels of 'service' in yours.
Thanks guys!
No one said otherwise. If I were you I would probably be disappointed too. Again, it was the other baggage you added that started to drag the thread down IMO.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
To be fair service would be pretty sh*t for SYD-WAG or SYD-OAG. A prop plane with no "service" at all and an airport with as many facilities as a bus station.
What mainline airline operates Sydney-Whanganui, NZ (SYD-WAG) on a prop plane?

Last edited by FSUnole03; Nov 16, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC serves a significant number of US destinations with single class turboprops and RJ's. No FC, no meals, no lounge access. At least DL provides two class aircraft on most routes to Canada.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
What mainline airline operates Sydney-Whanganui, NZ (SYD-WAG) on a prop plane?
Sorry that should have been WGA.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
You'd still get coffee tea and a cake as well as water most likely on an all Y dash8 with QF for a 1 hr flight.(Not sure what Virgin or REX offer rarely fly them) In my case we are talking taking a 2 hr Int'l flight in a jet, in F.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Most domestic and trans-border airports do not offer lounges. There isn't too much use for a lounge at an origin or destination airport anyway.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd still get coffee tea and a cake as well as water most likely on an all Y dash8 with QF for a 1 hr flight.(Not sure what Virgin or REX offer rarely fly them) In my case we are talking taking a 2 hr Int'l flight in a jet, in F.
Suggest you book WestJet next time -- which is a good Canadian airline instead of an evil US one. Look, they even have "first class" --

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ting-1.3221886

I bet their lounges are way better than US airlines as well.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:38 pm

Question US Pre Clearance at YHZ and DL Departure time

That was fare Qantas gave me; QF to LAX then Westjet to YHZ via Toronto or the like. Westjet are Qantas partner in Canada(who indecently also purchased about 10 of Qantas retired prehistoric 767-300ERs).

I wanted to use Qantas as far as possible so JFK was as far as I could get, via LAX. Then DL to YHZ rtn.

I have a quick question for those that use this service to from Halifax. US Customs Pre clearance in YHZ opens at 5AM, The DL flight departs YHZ at 6AM....isn't that a bit tight? Will I have any problems considering it boards 20 or so mins say 5.40AM so 40 mins to check in and go through customs?

Also am staying 2 weeks at Marriott but am thinking I'll stay at ALT Airport hotel the last night considering the early flight departure. That will save me getting up at a God forsaken hour like 3AM. Also considering no lounge at YHZ(even for F pax) I would be able to leave hotel at last minute and just walk across the pedway into terminal.

Any thoughts from those that plough this route often? Also, any chance DL will change those horrible arrival and departure times to/from YHZ?-wishful thinking but worth asking a DL guru out there

Thanks guys:
CJ
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Most likely that means you won't be doing pre-clearance and will instead clear at JFK.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:34 am

Interesting didn't realise that option existed once we arrive in JFK. Always thought the flight arrived with domestic flight status. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: Delta PM
That was fare Qantas gave me; QF to LAX then Westjet to YHZ via Toronto or the like. Westjet are Qantas partner in Canada(who indecently also purchased about 10 of Qantas retired prehistoric 767-300ERs).

I wanted to use Qantas as far as possible so JFK was as far as I could get, via LAX. Then DL to YHZ rtn.

I have a quick question for those that use this service to from Halifax. US Customs Pre clearance in YHZ opens at 5AM, The DL flight departs YHZ at 6AM....isn't that a bit tight? Will I have any problems considering it boards 20 or so mins say 5.40AM so 40 mins to check in and go through customs?

Also am staying 2 weeks at Marriott but am thinking I'll stay at ALT Airport hotel the last night considering the early flight departure. That will save me getting up at a God forsaken hour like 3AM. Also considering no lounge at YHZ(even for F pax) I would be able to leave hotel at last minute and just walk across the pedway into terminal.

Any thoughts from those that plough this route often? Also, any chance DL will change those horrible arrival and departure times to/from YHZ?-wishful thinking but worth asking a DL guru out there

Thanks guys:
CJ
I just flew out of YHZ a few weeks ago (granted, on a Sunday). The 6am departure was more like 6:45, and even then it was not tight at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.