Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Halifax YHZ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by quasihumanist
It's long been remarked that English is not one language but several languages which look and sound very similar. You've discovered one of the many differences between the languages. Americans have to learn to speak and understand Australian when they go to Australia; you have to learn to speak and understand American when you go to the US.
I think Continential (or was it United) used to call their international Business Class "Business First" to distinguish it from its domestic business class. And I think Delta actually markets it as Domestic First or something as opposed to Delta One which is the full frills service.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Perhaps it's time DL got with the times then as two new designations are there for the taking, 'Business' or 'Premium Economy'. Like the word 'love' it appears the term 'First' is loosely used in Nth American aviation. Apologies for straying off topic that's my final rant re this, promise
The reality is that domestic First on all the legacy US carriers (not just DL) have been this way for 15+ years, so I don't think they are going to change the terminology now. I suspect most people who have at least a passing familiarity with US carriers know what to expect at this point. It basically started when US companies stopped paying for domestic First for most of their employees (except for the top level execs). Airlines responded by making the First cabin a comp upgrade for elites, and more recently by heavily discounting it (along with heavy restrictions similar to discount coach tickets).

I'm assuming Australian companies have more generous travel budgets allowing for business class fare purchases on domestic travel and hence the reason for the more generous amenities.

By the way, if you fly certain European carriers on their inter-Europe domestic "Business" class you can find airlines (I'm only familiar with KLM, but there may be others) where the "Business" seat is nothing more that a row of coach seats with middle seat blocked out. So I suspect you will be disappointed with them as well.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Hi again......Is there lounge access in YHZ for DL F pax? I recall AC have a lounge landside before security. Any info would be great.

Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Hi again......Is there lounge access in YHZ for DL F pax? I recall AC have a lounge landside before security. Any info would be great.

Thanks
No. DL is the only skyteam airline at YHZ. I'm certain they didn't build a skyclub for this 1 flight
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
No. DL is the only skyteam airline at YHZ. I'm certain they didn't build a skyclub for this 1 flight
Thanks. Was hoping for at least access to a third party lounge considering they are selling 'First' on this sector.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Thanks. Was hoping for at least access to a third party lounge considering they are selling 'First' on this sector.
Oh, it's you again. Most of the airports that DL serves with first class do not have lounge access. No, I will not debate the topic with you further!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

There is no lounge at the US-side of YHZ. None. At. All. Neither by any airline nor by any third party. End of story.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This is back as a daily non-stop, on a CR9, effective 9 Jan 17.
With a cruel 6 am departure from YHZ. Given that you clear customs there, 6 am is tough.

I understand why they do it: They simply park the plane at YHZ over night. But as a passenger I fail to see the charm.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Oh, it's you again. Most of the airports that DL serves with first class do not have lounge access. No, I will not debate the topic with you further!
Yep me again. Trust me this was no invitation for debate. Clearly you are used to inferior offerings where as I am not - thus not debatable

Thanks Sokolov.
Oh OK, I thought access to AC's lounge may have been an option. I haven't been to YHZ for years so only going by what was available when I last flew in/out.

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Nov 14, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yep me again. And yes indeed, please don't debate me on this one. Clearly you are used to inferior offerings where as I am not.

Thanks Sokolov.
Oh OK, I thought access to AC's lounge may have been an option. I haven't been to YHZ for years so only going by what was available when I last flew in/out.
We're not the one that keeps complaining about something that has never been true to begin with. This isn't some new revelation or some how different from every other carrier.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
We're not the one that keeps complaining about something that has never been true to begin with. This isn't some new revelation or some how different from every other carrier.
The things is as an Australian or Asian QF flyer he's likely not to have experienced North American flying. The smaller airports aren't served by two class planes and their idea of an airport would make places like GRR look like AMS.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Good news for any election defectors!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
The things is as an Australian or Asian QF flyer he's likely not to have experienced North American flying. The smaller airports aren't served by two class planes and their idea of an airport would make places like GRR look like AMS.
The issue is we understand that, and explained it to him. However he refuses to accept that this is how it's done and has been done in the Americas.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Oh OK, I thought access to AC's lounge may have been an option.
The Maple Leaf Lounge is in the national & international section of YHZ, not in the US section. The US (transborder) section is separate.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sokolov
The Maple Leaf Lounge is in the national & international section of YHZ, not in the US section. The US (transborder) section is separate.
Moreover, unless there were any recent renovations/expansion, the transborder section is quite bleak in general compared to the rest of the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.