Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Halifax YHZ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Hi all

This route starts up again in January 17.
I've just booked an SYD-YHZ-SYD for nth American summer 2017. QF J via LAX/JFK then DL F JFK-YHZ.

Could somebody please tell me which terminal DL leaves from for its YHZ flights from JFK. DL in Sydney tell me its T2 TA tells me T4.

It's a 4 hour layover so I'd also like to ask about the lounge I'll have access to at JFK(in either T 2 or 4)

AA used to fly this route direct and pulled out which meant it was a no brainer for QF pax. One now has to fly UA from EWR (which is just too complicated when arriving into JFK or tolerate a stopover in Boston, Toronto etc en route to YHZ which means 2-3 flights!)

What sort of service should I expect from DL on board in F at those terrible hours? The website says "no meal service" which for a spoilt QF FF is a let down.

PS whats it like transiting to T2/4 from a QF arrival into T7.

Thanks in advance
It could be either T4 or T2. However most likely T4. There's a SC in both terminals and they're connected airside via a bus (JFK Jitney) T4 SC is the nicer, bigger, and with full food options. Since you're in F on a transborder flight you get access. Since arriving on an international flight the connection to DL isn't really different then AA, just different terminal stop on the train.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
What sort of service should I expect from DL on board in F at those terrible hours? The website says "no meal service" which for a spoilt QF FF is a let down.
You should enjoy the pre-flight beverage. After that, wheels up to wheels down can't be much over an hour. Three clock hours, but the rest is taxiing and the time change.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Glad to see some service returning. I have family scattered around the Maritimes near YHZ/YQM/YYG and it's always such a pain to get there. Not sure why, but US-based carriers have really pulled back in recent years, abandoning all service to the latter two airports in that part of the region. (UA was the last holdout at YQM, serving EWR). I'm not sure if there are macroeconomic factors in play (currency or local economic conditions) or what. Anyone have any insights?

Anyway, I always assume that I'd have to fly AC (either expensively or on UA miles) to get there, and that usually bears out.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by AKC6
You should enjoy the pre-flight beverage. After that, wheels up to wheels down can't be much over an hour. Three clock hours, but the rest is taxiing and the time change.
Pre flight beverage for a two hour flight in F?? God bless Qantas; a hot meal in Y on a 1 hour domestic flight even. Thats pathetic for an F trans-border flight.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pre flight beverage for a two hour flight in F?? God bless Qantas; a hot meal in Y on a 1 hour domestic flight even. Thats pathetic for an F trans-border flight.
You'll likely be able to get in at least a couple rounds of drinks after the pre-flight, plus a pass or two of the aforementioned snack basket. No, the FA's will not simply ignore you after departure. The flight will likely be about 90 minutes in the air, so I think you'll survive. I'm not aware of anyone who treats trans-border US-CA flights any differently than a domestic flights in terms of on-board amenities (however, it does provide for lounge access when flying F). Given that US airlines are rather aggressively pricing domestic F these days, I don't really see it as that surprising or outrageous that they don't serve a hot meal on a 90 minute flight.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
You'll likely be able to get in at least a couple rounds of drinks after the pre-flight, plus a pass or two of the aforementioned snack basket. No, the FA's will not simply ignore you after departure. The flight will likely be about 90 minutes in the air, so I think you'll survive. I'm not aware of anyone who treats trans-border US-CA flights any differently than a domestic flights in terms of on-board amenities (however, it does provide for lounge access when flying F). Given that US airlines are rather aggressively pricing domestic F these days, I don't really see it as that surprising or outrageous that they don't serve a hot meal on a 90 minute flight.
Agree completely.

Btw, they won't serve alcohol while on the ground in Canada (ie, no pre-flight beverage on the return). Once airborne it's ok (even if flying in Canadian airspace)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Agree completely.

Btw, they won't serve alcohol while on the ground in Canada (ie, no pre-flight beverage on the return). Once airborne it's ok (even if flying in Canadian airspace)
A lot of airlines won't serve alcohol on the ground in another country. The issue is that the alcohol hasn't been taxed. Once in the air, applicable treaties prevent the taxation issue. On the ground though they're bound by local law.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Qtr 8185 b772

Well, then, try this:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/Q...540Z/KJFK/CYHZ
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by AKC6
Why did they do that??
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:19 pm

Why did they do that??
ME3 conspiracy to steal Affable Aussie QF loyalist traffic.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why did they do that??
Once weekly Qatar Cargo route (DOH-LUX-ZAZ-JFK-YHZ) flown with a B777F. I'm afraid the amenities will be rather sparse.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
All well and good for UA and AA as only Y offered but if you're offering First and charging accordingly, respect yourself and make an effort, otherwise use all Y equipment - simple. The full F fare was something like $1500USD(I could fly SYD-LHR-SYD in Y for that!)

See pics of Qantas Dash 8 all Y regional service offerings and compare to DL 'F'.....hmmmm y'all missing out somewhat

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...lmGxI9-5AcM%3A

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Oct 20, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
All well and good for UA and AA as only Y offered but if you're offering First and charging accordingly, respect yourself and make an effort, otherwise use all Y equipment - simple.
It turns out those aren't the only two choices airlines have.

The full F fare was something like $1500USD(I could fly SYD-LHR-SYD in Y for that!)
Why don't you go there instead then

See pics of Qantas Dash 8 all Y regional service offerings and compare to DL 'F'.....hmmmm y'all missing out somewhat
No doubt, but it's apparently where market forces have taken us, so we just have to find a way to survive.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:48 pm

All well and good for UA and AA as only Y offered but if you're offering First and charging accordingly, respect yourself and make an effort, otherwise use all Y equipment - simple.
You must be the only person ever in history who has suggested that DL downgrade a flight to a Y-only barbie jet (CR2 or E145), for the sake of the passengers.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:33 pm

You must be the only person ever in history who has suggested that DL downgrade a flight to a Y-only barbie jet (CR2 or E145), for the sake of the passengers.
I used to fly AA to YHZ in an all Y E145 or similar and payed for Y thus had few expectations.

If they have no idea how to offer a proper 'F' then why not downgrade? Perhaps call it premium economy, or the like, if there is no service-just the space. Then reasonable 'F' service expectations aren't there from spoilt Aussies . Then again F in Nth America is a glorified Y+ or J at best from my experience with AA anyway. I'm guessing most other Nth American carriers fare the same?

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Oct 20, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.