Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is 777 refresh due?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
When is 777 refresh due?

I just flew NRT to LAX on a 777 - probably one of the oldest 777s in Delta fleet.

Most everything in my seat was broken. Both AC and USB power ports were not working. In fact, there is no power for my entire row. I couldn't do much work beyond 30 minutes when my battery died. My seatmate was equally frustrated.

The audio jack for my seat was really horrible. Audio cuts in and out constantly, but mostly out. The jack is broken or very worn out. The seat back entertainment was of the old variety and my unit kept freezing randomly.

No work, no movies, then I decided to get some sleep, only to find out the butterfly headrest was broken and they won't stay put. When I bend the wings, it would immediately fall back down, flat. I kept rolling my head side ways and then jerk back... really really irritating.

I raised the issue my section flight attendant and she just shrug and said well, these are really old 777s, what do you expect...

It was one of the most unproductive and uncomfortable flight I can recall from recent memories... Are DL redoing the 777s?
Old May 28, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wlau
I just flew NRT to LAX on a 777 - probably one of the oldest 777s in Delta fleet.

Most everything in my seat was broken. Both AC and USB power ports were not working. In fact, there is no power for my entire row. I couldn't do much work beyond 30 minutes when my battery died. My seatmate was equally frustrated.

The audio jack for my seat was really horrible. Audio cuts in and out constantly, but mostly out. The jack is broken or very worn out. The seat back entertainment was of the old variety and my unit kept freezing randomly.

No work, no movies, then I decided to get some sleep, only to find out the butterfly headrest was broken and they won't stay put. When I bend the wings, it would immediately fall back down, flat. I kept rolling my head side ways and then jerk back... really really irritating.

I raised the issue my section flight attendant and she just shrug and said well, these are really old 777s, what do you expect...

It was one of the most unproductive and uncomfortable flight I can recall from recent memories... Are DL redoing the 777s?
Supposedly in the next few years, as the A350s start coming online. Right now DL needs every 772 it has.

In terms of your experience, send in a complaint to DL about it. There should be some miles coming your way.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, IHG Spire Amb, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
When will you wake up

- nuked, too inflammatory

Last edited by vivoid; Jun 30, 2016 at 4:13 pm Reason: Too inflammatory
Old May 28, 2016, 1:59 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
My thoughts are . . . .

The OP says,he/she is a PM. Fly a little more. Reach DM, and choose,Global UG certs as a Choice Benefit. Once you've flown up front on a TPAC/TATL flight, you're ruined for life, and will never go back!

Of course, Delta One seats can have problems, too, but, of course, overall, it's a MUCH better, and totally different experience!

Old May 28, 2016, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I travel frequently for work and I am based in the SF Bay Area. I have traveled so intensively that I know better no airline is perfect. Flying Delta is not natural for SF Bay Area residents as United is based here... Because of the strength of Skyteam in Asia and Delta's partnership in Europe, it is for better or worth the most flexible airline for me. Is it a perfect airline? No... I am not an entitled or spoiled pax. I look at flying as nothing more than transportation for my job. That said, I have had two really bad experiences recently and I hope the tide turns... I am not a Delta fanboy but I do respect Delta...
Old May 28, 2016, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by wlau

completely and 100% false. Since you didn't say exactly what day it was it's hard to know exactly what plane you were on but LAX-NRT should have been on a 777-232LR which aren't even 10 years old (oldest came in 2009)

having said that, they should get a refrub in-line with the new 350 cabin that is coming. The issue is that Delta is so short on airplanes that can fly over 12 hours that they simply couldn't start a mod-line right now if they wanted.

but as others have said, make sure you write these issues in.
Originally Posted by WWads
Supposedly in the next few years, as the A350s start coming online. Right now DL needs every 772 it has.

In terms of your experience, send in a complaint to DL about it. There should be some miles coming your way.
exactly.
Originally Posted by vivoid
Surely you realise that Delta is one of the worst airlines on earth ?

Customer service is non existent. Planes are old. FAs are old.

They have also gutted their loyalty program.

Why not try JAL or ANA?

The only way delta will improve is if you stop giving them money.

I had a similar experience on BA LHR to IAH. Albeit issues were due to a brand new plane (787-9)

Dodgy power and IFE. The cabin manager sat with me ran over the issues and offered $1200 compensation or 75,000 Avios on the spot.

You don't know how bad you have it with Delta - I liken them to an abusive boyfriend - they treat you like utter .... because they know you'll keep coming back for more.

Send a message. #dumpdelta
again, less than 10 years old isn't old. If you are going to slam an airline then you should research before posting.

Oh and FYI, even if it happened to be a 232ER for some odd reason, ANA and JAL both have 777s older than Delta's 200ERs.

but don't let facts get in the way.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
We flew LAX-NRT on a 777 and we noticed several passengers complaining about their entertainment systems not working. They really are getting a bit worn.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
I read somewhere that the mods to the 772 fleet were to begin next year, coinciding with the deliveries of the A350s. As already stated, DL is very short on 772 aircraft due to early exit of some of the 747s. Only six A350s are scheduled to be delivered next year, in addition to the last two 242 MTOW A333s. My best guess is those A350s will go on DTW-NRT/ICN/PVG, as those appear to the final 747 routes DL will operate. I have heard from reliable DL employees once the 242 MTOW A333 deliveries are completed next year, they will have dedicated routes as their range is significantly higher than the PMNW A333s, for example, they can fly LAX/MSP-NRT whereas it would be pushing it if the original A333s were to fly LAX-NRT and its too far for MSP-NRT. Dedicating the ten 242 MTOW A333s on relatively shorter 772 routings should free up enough aircraft to start mods that can be completed in about a year. Also, only two routes, LAX-SYD and ATL-JNB truly need the 77L, so the longer 772 routes can be switched back and forth between the standard 772ER and 77Ls.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
I don't usually fly DL on pacific routes but do fly to FRA regularly and those old birds are definitely showing there age too. Not DL bashing but wish they'd do more to keep up with their fleet maintenance and upkeep.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
completely and 100% false. Since you didn't say exactly what day it was it's hard to know exactly what plane you were on but LAX-NRT should have been on a 777-232LR which aren't even 10 years old (oldest came in 2009)
2008 actually. Still quite young in plane years, especially for DL, but a rather advanced age for an aircraft interior.

Originally Posted by kcmd
I don't usually fly DL on pacific routes but do fly to FRA regularly and those old birds are definitely showing there age too. Not DL bashing but wish they'd do more to keep up with their fleet maintenance and upkeep.
The 77Ls and 764s (I believe that's what is used to FRA) have the oldest interiors in the widebody fleet and should be first in line for a refresh in the next couple of years.

Last edited by cdubose98; May 28, 2016 at 11:06 am
Old May 28, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by cdubose98
The 77Ls and 764s (I believe that's what is used to FRA) have the oldest interiors in the widebody fleet and should be first in line for a refresh in the next couple of years.
After the eighteen 772s are refurbished, the 764s will be fitted with the A350 hard product. Excluding the ten 77Ls that were delivered with 1-2-1 flat beds, the 764 was the first fleet to be refurbished with 1-2-1 flat beds as they were deployed to DL's highest yielding Europe and Deep South America routes. As a result, they've become the most worn in the past several years, especially in the back.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
As with most, even as a basic SkyMiles member, drop them an email. I bet you get quite a few RDMs.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
I look forward to revisiting this thread when we start complaining about the 350s.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
That's what the FA said - she was based in LA. I believe it was on 232ER. I am not so sure your fact is as straight as you claim. The first 777-200ER to DL was fleet 7001 delivered back in 1999 and it's still in operation.

As with Delta or any other airline, the airframe age is not something a customer would see - we notice the cabin interior and it looked worn. If the FA said it was old, who am I to argue? After all, she is probably on that same aircraft every week.

I can tell you for sure the interior is worn and I have that many things broken in my seat and Delta definitely has a more refreshed version of the 777-232, LR or ER.

Let's assume it's a 232LR, the first one that is still in service is fleet 7101 that enter into service back in Q1 of 2008, not 2009 as you said. 7 or 8 years is a long time for the interior... Most of DL competitor on this route using older aircraft like 777 are with renovated new interior.

I have seen older DL 767 used to service HND route with much newer and better interior.

Just so it's clear, I am not bashing DL, I like DL enough to constantly fly it. But for that flight, for that meat I occupied, it had many broken things. The LA-based FA said it's an old plane. Old is a subjective word, but she seems to think so and suggest I temper my expectation.

Last edited by wlau; May 28, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Old May 28, 2016, 4:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Just a tiny tidbit - - Only indirectly related . . . .

I was on JFK/MEX last week, which I take several times a year. It's ALWAYS been a VERY old B752 with the FANCIEST amenity being the overhead TVs that push up into the ceiling! Does anyone really watch them?!?

Anyway, I can't exactly remember how the conversation went with the J FA, but, I made some type of comment about the "late model" aircraft - - - and she said . . . .

"It's a CLASSIC!!!"

Just a side note, that, I have seen a remodeled B752 with flat beds on this flight occasionally, but, it never seems to be on a day of the week that I need to fly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.