Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding JFK-LAS May 20, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Denied Boarding JFK-LAS May 20, 2016

On May 20, 2016 Silver Med. & girlfriend flying from JFK to Las Vegas nonstop on a Delta Boeing 737-800 aircraft. My gfriend and I both checked in online 23 hours before departure. When checking in received an oversold message asking if my gfriend and I would give up our seats for a certain amount of dollars. I put the highest $800.00 for each passenger. On May 20 checked in baggage and arrived at the gate 20-25 minutes before departure time. Was boarding when the machine made a weird noise. My girlfriend and I couldn't board the aircraft. The GA didn't have a logic reason why. Said that our seats have been given away, however the gate door was open and the aircraft door was open. The flight was still being work and boarding wasn't completed. Asked the GA to get a supervisor but the GA refused. Delta flight left without my girlfriend and I being onboard. Yet the checked baggage made it. Was confirmed on a flight 7 hours later and landed into Vegas 8 hours late.

Being that I was in JFK for multiple hours I spoke with different red coats who told me to contact Delta customer care. Delta even had the balls to try and charge me more money to get on a later flight. Later they apologize for trying to do this. Aren't I entitled to some form of compensation? If so how much? Also, was offered no meal voucher nothing. Didn't even get compensated for the oversold part.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
You and your girlfriend are both entitled to IDB (involuntary denied boarding) cash compensation. Since it appears DL did not give anything at JFK, I would write in and specifically ask for IDB.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Any idea on how much I could get from Delta? Also as a sign of irony I tracked my baggage on the Delta App from JFK. I know Vegas really well, but my girlfriend was concerned on how it took 3 hours for the luggage to get from a bag carousel to Delta's baggage office.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Are there more details? You seem to make a point that the door was still open and they were still boarding...were you very close to the 10 minute mark?

I'm also confused how your request for a Red Coat was denied. You said "I'd like to speak to a Red Coat please", and the GA said "NO" ?

I doubt that something fishy may have gone down, just curious of the nitty-gritty details so figure it out.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Check your delta wallet on your profile on DL.com just to see if there is a voucher in there. I'm not saying Delta was right in not informing you if this is the case but maybe they took your offer and bumped you? (And I would still write in and complain even if this is the case - just recommending you check so that you write in with all the correct info).
Old May 25, 2016, 10:43 am

According to the DL CoC, it is 200% or $675, whichever is lower. Remember, that is per person affected. However, they may offer you a higher amount in the form of a voucher, but you have the right to choose the cash.

When Delta arranges Qualifying Alternative Transportation
If Delta arranges Qualifying Alternative Transportation, then Delta will pay denied boarding compensation in an amount equal to 200% of the fare (including any surcharges and air transportation taxes) to the passenger’s next stopover, or if none, to his/her final destination, but no more than USD 675.00. Qualifying Alternative Transportation means comparable air transportation, or other transportation used by the passenger, at no extra cost to the passenger, that at the time such arrangements are made is scheduled to arrive at the passenger’s next stopover, or, if none, final destination within two hours after the planned arrival time of the passenger’s original flight or flights.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Check your delta wallet on your profile on DL.com just to see if there is a voucher in there. I'm not saying Delta was right in not informing you if this is the case but maybe they took your offer and bumped you? (And I would still write in and complain even if this is the case - just recommending you check so that you write in with all the correct info).
Good point, and I would do that first before writing in.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They shouldn't have bumped you without calling you up to the podium first and letting you know what the VDB offer is and alternate flights.

Since you checked in baggage the GA should've been able to see that you were at the airport.

They should've gotten you to LAS much sooner than 7hrs later. There are many different routings with a connection from the east coast and I would be shocked if no seats were available.

Assuming there are no other details that the OP left out, this sounds like a pretty clear IDB. Was these paid or award/mileage tickets?
If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the compensation doubles (400% of your one-way fare, $1300 maximum).
Old May 25, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Smaug
According to the DL CoC, it is 200% or $675, whichever is lower. Remember, that is per person affected. However, they may offer you a higher amount in the form of a voucher, but you have the right to choose the cash.
That is only for getting to the destination with 2hrs. Over that it doubles.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
agree with everything already posted.

in Addition to demanding Delta provide IDB compensation I would also file a complaint with FAA. Whatever happened at the gate you deserved an explanation at the time of the incident.

And refusing to get a supervisor?? that's ridiculous!

In the future take it upon yourself to locate a red coat agent (supervisor) in the airport. At JFK there should be one nearby and pretty easy to locate.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
I'm wondering how Delta let your bags travel to LAS without you? I thought that was banned many years ago.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
Are there more details? You seem to make a point that the door was still open and they were still boarding...were you very close to the 10 minute mark?

I'm also confused how your request for a Red Coat was denied. You said "I'd like to speak to a Red Coat please", and the GA said "NO" ?

I doubt that something fishy may have gone down, just curious of the nitty-gritty details so figure it out.
The requirement for being at the gate is 15 minutes, not 10.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is detail missing here. OP says he got an "oversold" message, but flights aren't oversold until more people turn up at the gate than there are seats. He may mean "overbooked" but that is a critical difference and it is an accuracy issue.

OP volunteered, so he was not involuntarily denied boarding. End of that effort. He can complain to DL and to DOT if he wishes. But, DL tracks every keystroke and it has a record of OP volunteering. The moral of the story is not to volunteer if you aren't willing to volunteer.

Had OP not volunteered and presuming that he did timely check in and show up at the gate (it's T-15, not T-10), he would be due IDB. Because of the length of the delay, he would be due 400% of the one-way fare, capped at $1,350. Since we don't know how much the round-trip ticket cost (let's presume the one-way was 50% of that under current DL domestic tarriffs), it's easy to calculate what the compensation would have been. It would be due in cash (or equivalent), not funny money or gift cards for other vendors.

Historically, DL has simply used those volunteer amounts for metrics purposes and to generate a list of possible volunteers. So, anything could have happened here. But, it's all speculation.

OP can check to see if he's got a credit for $800 (girlfriend too). If not, time to call DL and see where that is.

Caution to others.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
Any idea on how much I could get from Delta? Also as a sign of irony I tracked my baggage on the Delta App from JFK. I know Vegas really well, but my girlfriend was concerned on how it took 3 hours for the luggage to get from a bag carousel to Delta's baggage office.
At the very least, you're entitled to the $800/ticket that you "volunteered" for as a VDB credit (in delta dollars).

I would agree though, given the circumstances, that you should ask for IDB as IIRC they have to make you an offer and you have to accept (in person, agree on alternate travel voucher amount, etc) before VDB would come into play. Never heard of them using the OLCI "offer" without consulting you first.

IDB would be cash... I believe up to 4x the ticket price, up to a max of $1350 for your delay.

Last edited by appleguru; May 25, 2016 at 11:02 am
Old May 25, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
There is detail missing here. OP says he got an "oversold" message, but flights aren't oversold until more people turn up at the gate than there are seats. He may mean "overbooked" but that is a critical difference and it is an accuracy issue.

OP volunteered, so he was not involuntarily denied boarding. End of that effort. He can complain to DL and to DOT if he wishes. But, DL tracks every keystroke and it has a record of OP volunteering. The moral of the story is not to volunteer if you aren't willing to volunteer.

Had OP not volunteered and presuming that he did timely check in and show up at the gate (it's T-15, not T-10), he would be due IDB. Because of the length of the delay, he would be due 400% of the one-way fare, capped at $1,350. Since we don't know how much the round-trip ticket cost (let's presume the one-way was 50% of that under current DL domestic tarriffs), it's easy to calculate what the compensation would have been. It would be due in cash (or equivalent), not funny money or gift cards for other vendors.

Historically, DL has simply used those volunteer amounts for metrics purposes and to generate a list of possible volunteers. So, anything could have happened here. But, it's all speculation.

OP can check to see if he's got a credit for $800 (girlfriend too). If not, time to call DL and see where that is.

Caution to others.
Not true. It even says on the kiosk when you bid that you won't be bumped until you've discussed options, because the kiosk certainly doesn't display other routing options. You always have the right to say "No" even after saying you'd be added to the list if the alternate options given to you by the agent are unacceptable to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.