Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Old May 23, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
Not correct on domestic flight. That rule ended long ago.
Maybe you are correct, maybe not.

So let me get the story correct...

A passenger abruptly runs to the front of the plane...
AND opens a door by themselves...
AND jumps 20 feet down...
AND runs across the tarmac
... with no explanation
AND the crew is okay with that...
AND there is NO NEWS on this?

If all that happened, I can assure you 100% I would be the next one off that plane. Zero chance I am flying without a search. Twice I have seen people leave somewhat last minute. Both times we watched as the bags were pulled from the hull. No one complained about the late departure!

The commercial pilots I know would absolutely not takeoff in that situation without a search/verification the bags are off.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I was on a plane leaving GSO that had pushed off the gate and literally taxied back to the gate because some lady in first class had decided that she missed her children too much and decided she had to be left off the aircraft I was asleep, when the scene was made, so I missed it (I was also in FC) but the FA filled me in afterwards. Apparently, the lady probably had a few in the bar before boarding, and the PDB was the one that made her realize that she couldn't bear to leave her precious little ones.
Something similar last month, SAN-ATL on the first flight out. We had left the gate and were headed to the end of the runway when we stopped and returned to the gate. A lady in the back of the plane, along with one or two young children decided that she was too scared to fly and asked to get off the plane. I was surprised they accommodated her since we were getting in line for take-off and also surprised that the pilot gave us the details (her heart was racing and she was very anxious).
We left late but made it to ATL on time. Don't know if she had checked bags but didn't see any offloaded.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
Something similar last month, SAN-ATL on the first flight out. We had left the gate and were headed to the end of the runway when we stopped and returned to the gate. A lady in the back of the plane, along with one or two young children decided that she was too scared to fly and asked to get off the plane. I was surprised they accommodated her since we were getting in line for take-off and also surprised that the pilot gave us the details (her heart was racing and she was very anxious).
We left late but made it to ATL on time. Don't know if she had checked bags but didn't see any offloaded.
I'd say that someone asking to get off the plane and being allowed off isn't even in the same ballpark of someone running to the front and opening the door and getting out on her own.

It's the difference between asking your friend to lend you $50 and going through his wallet and taking it without him knowing.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:10 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Switched to AA this year.

On almost every flight they very specifically say before closing the doors "If you do not want to fly with us today to XXX this is your last chance to something-or-other."

I thought it was kinda funny at first....but after hearing it on multiple flights worded the same way I realized it must be part of their departure protocol.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Maybe you are correct, maybe not. . . .

The commercial pilots I know would absolutely not takeoff in that situation without a search/verification the bags are off.
No, I am correct. And, while you may be correct about how the flight crews "you know" would request the baggage to be removed, they fly every day without knowing whether someone checked a bag, and then didn't ever bother getting on the plane.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I was on an America West flight a number of years ago where a woman in F did the same thing. We were in line but returned to drop her off.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:15 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
No, I am correct. And, while you may be correct about how the flight crews "you know" would request the baggage to be removed, they fly every day without knowing whether someone checked a bag, and then didn't ever bother getting on the plane.
This seems odd to me, if you check a bag and then never scan your boarding pass to get on the plane it would be clear as day to the GA that you hadn't boarded and I would guess pretty easy for them to locate your bag and remove it from the flight. That seems like a huge security risk (especially this day in age) to allow people to check bags and never board the flight so the bag flies without them.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
This seems odd to me, if you check a bag and then never scan your boarding pass to get on the plane it would be clear as day to the GA that you hadn't boarded and I would guess pretty easy for them to locate your bag and remove it from the flight. That seems like a huge security risk (especially this day in age) to allow people to check bags and never board the flight so the bag flies without them.
Despite what is being said here, it does not happen very often, if at all, when the passenger is a no show. Misconnect? Yes. Lost bag? Yes. Bags from people that no show / run off the plane and down the tarmac... not likely!
Old May 23, 2016, 5:34 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
It is not the rule on US domestic flights. I don't know the current international rule, although my memory is that the rules are different there.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:36 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Despite what is being said here, it does not happen very often, if at all, when the passenger is a no show.
Great to finally hear from someone who has the numbers. I always assumed that it wasn't more than a few hundred in a single week. How many is it actually? What is your source?
Old May 23, 2016, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It is not the rule on US domestic flights. I don't know the current international rule, although my memory is that the rules are different there.
I just don't believe this and it looks like I'm not the only one here having trouble believing it. You can't check a bag and not board the plane.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
....but you can check a bag and misconnect, even if the bag makes the flight. I was told once (the rules might have changed since then) that it's a matter of voluntarily or involuntarily ditching the bag as well as the extent to which the passenger is sure whether the bag is on the flight or not (which is now shown on the app).
Old May 23, 2016, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
....but you can check a bag and misconnect, even if the bag makes the flight. I was told once (the rules might have changed since then) that it's a matter of voluntarily or involuntarily ditching the bag as well as the extent to which the passenger is sure whether the bag is on the flight or not (which is now shown on the app).
Yes, that is correct. The passenger cannot knowingly be separated from their bag.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:51 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, that is correct. The passenger cannot knowingly be separated from their bag.
Why are you making this up? There is no such rule on U.S. domestic travel.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:57 pm

Great to finally hear from someone who has the numbers. I always assumed that it wasn't more than a few hundred in a single week. How many is it actually? What is your source?
Why are you making this up? There is no such rule on U.S. domestic travel.
You are being very combative. None of us have seen what you say to be true. In fact, we have seen the opposite. It is just not logical that they would not pull the bags of someone who darted off the plane (in any circumstance), especially if they opened an airplane door, darted off the plane and down the tarmac!

You say the rule changed a while ago. Surely that would be news worthy. Okay, show us or provide a link.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.