Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL's General Manager Miguel Southwell fired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL's General Manager Miguel Southwell fired

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Can anyone specify to me how the TSA is responsible for the long security lines if staffing levels as well as procedures are dictated by the government. Surely, TSA is simply the executing arm of the government's will here and bound by the government's policies and regulations. The dude screening you is not really in any way responsible for you standing in line for 45 minutes so I am always amazed by how nasty some people get with regard to the average TSA staffer.
TSA designs thhe procedures and in the case of the MSP fiasco, the configuration of security lines. Moreover, TSA refuses to document the procedures or do anything to make them uniform. TSA also allocates resources among airports, schedules screeners and determines opening times for PreCheck lanes, and to some extent determines whether the budget is spent on PR or overtime for screeners. So it is their fault.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
It should go beyond that. Employees need to be nice to passengers. Nice TSA agents are very few and far between. I was the only person in the pre-check lane a few weeks ago at DAB and the agent nearly bit my head off when I placed my belongings on the belt. I guess I interrupted her nap and she didn't feel like working for 30 seconds.
Most of my interactions with TSA are nice enough. Some are more jovial than others, but I wouldn't say there is some endemic lack of "nice". Certainly, given the stress of the job, I think most do well enough.

Given that you seem to have so many problems, might I offer that you should consider your own interactions and whether that contributes to your problem? Hint: people tend to not be nice to people that are dismissive of them. Oh, I'm guessing you think you hide your contempt, but I doubt you are that good of an actor.

Originally Posted by avcritic
There is no reason to funnel a pax going from AnyTownUSA1 to AnyTownUSA2 thru ATL or ORD or any other hub for that matter.
Well that is an untrue statement.

If PDEW supports skip the hub, fuel and airport charge savings itself will be huge.
And the incremental costs of running flights at less than full capacity will far outweigh those "huge" savings.

Yet we have very few hubs for such a vast country. Something wrong with this model.
Something wrong with the model? By that, do you mean economies of scale?
Old May 24, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
TSA designs thhe procedures and in the case of the MSP fiasco, the configuration of security lines. Moreover, TSA refuses to document the procedures or do anything to make them uniform. TSA also allocates resources among airports, schedules screeners and determines opening times for PreCheck lanes, and to some extent determines whether the budget is spent on PR or overtime for screeners. So it is their fault.
All of these TSA actions are taken in the context of the constraints imposed upon TSA by Congress. Audits resulting in Congresional hue and cry over "imperfect" detection of prohibited items results in stricter enforcement at the checkpoint. Stricter enforcement takes more time. US economy improves, resulting in more air travel. Congress cuts TSA budget, and uses TSA-earmarked ticket taxes for other purposes, resulting in TSA staffing and overtime cuts.

How is this not ultimately up to Congress to resolve? Honestly, I'd like to know.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mnbp
All of these TSA actions are taken in the context of the constraints imposed upon TSA by Congress. Audits resulting in Congresional hue and cry over "imperfect" detection of prohibited items results in stricter enforcement at the checkpoint. Stricter enforcement takes more time. US economy improves, resulting in more air travel. Congress cuts TSA budget, and uses TSA-earmarked ticket taxes for other purposes, resulting in TSA staffing and overtime cuts.

How is this not ultimately up to Congress to resolve? Honestly, I'd like to know.
The issue is that at no point in the history of the TSA have they been an effective and efficient solution to airport security. It's time to get rid of them and start the healing process.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Well that is an untrue statement.
For a HUB native who is on numbers/ratings high, my statement may seem untrue, but not to those who are forced to take an unnecessary connection at a bottleneck HUB.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
And the incremental costs of running flights at less than full capacity will far outweigh those "huge" savings

Something wrong with the model? By that, do you mean economies of scale?
What savings, if entire southern seaboard has to connect thru ATL, the amount of fuel, time and airport charges wasted is huge.

Same Saab 340/CRJ can do P2P without hub more efficiently.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if there are no issues at these unnecessary hubs.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The issue is that at no point in the history of the TSA have they been an effective and efficient solution to airport security. It's time to get rid of them and start the healing process.
You mean going back to the mish mash of private providers like before the TSA was created?

Do you think a private provider is suddenly going to have better trained staff and more sophisticated equipment and not expect to be paid for it.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I thought DL ordered C-Series to avoid connections in future.
They ordered them to replace smaller aircraft in their fleet. I don't expect their missions to be a whole lot different than they are today.

There is no reason to funnel a pax going from AnyTownUSA1 to AnyTownUSA2 thru ATL or ORD or any other hub for that matter.
Except that there is. It's called making money. I suggest you read a book on/google: "airline deregulation" or the "hub and spoke system". That model doesn't just apply to airlines, it's used by rail, logistics, computing and many other businesses. Flying a plane non-stop from say DAY to SAT with a demand of say 5 PDEW just doesn't make sense and will never be sustainable. Now funnel those connections over ORD, ATL, DFW, etc. and you'll fill both flights with feed from all the other myriad of cities that are serviced by the hub.

As I said before, without the revenue advantages of funneling peeps through a hub, airfare would be much more expensive and there would be far fewer flights even in the major cities.

Airlines created these monster hubs and are on ratings high, now difficult to get of the treadmill.
What does that even mean?

If PDEW supports skip the hub, fuel and airport charge savings itself will be huge.
What if the PDEW doesn't support (and in most city pairs it won't)? So now we only have flights between the major cities. I fail to see how that's advantageous for anyone (pax, airline, investors).

Last edited by HDQDD; May 25, 2016 at 8:14 am
Old May 25, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
...We wouldn't be having this discussion if there are no issues at these unnecessary hubs.
We (the people commenting about the firing of a GM over long lines) aren't even having the same conversation as you.

What in the world do connections have to do with long lines at ATL? Those people aren't connecting.

And OBTW, as to your point, if DL didn't have a huge hub at ATL my travel life would be hell. Unless I am going to MCO or JFK or DTW, which I never do.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
They ordered them to replace smaller aircraft in their fleet. I don't expect their missions to be a whole lot different than they are today.

Except that there is. It's called making money. I suggest you read a book on/google: "airline deregulation" or the "hub and spoke system". That model doesn't just apply to airlines, it's used by rail, logistics, computing and many other businesses. Flying a plane non-stop from say DAY to SAT with a demand of say 5 PDEW just doesn't make sense and will never be sustainable. Now funnel those connections over ORD, ATL, DFW, etc. and you'll fill both flights with feed from all the other myriad of cities that are serviced by the hub.

As I said before, without the revenue advantages of funneling peeps through a hub, airfare would be much more expensive and there would be far fewer flights even in the major cities.

What does that even mean?

What if the PDEW doesn't support (and in most city pairs it won't)? So now we only have flights between the major cities. I fail to see how that's advantageous for anyone (pax, airline, investors).
Again for hub fans living near a hub, the logic will never get thru. They are happy if ATL is #1 in number of pax, or ORD is #1 in flight movements.

Is there O&D market between HUB-AnyTownUSA. Answer: No
Are 5.6 Million each travelling 20 trips in a year. Answer: No

The amount of back tracking and weird/missed connections imposed on passengers on a fair weather day in the name of hub connectivity is horrendous. One thunderstorm at ATL or winter storm AT BOS or wind at ORD makes it even worse.

Build hubs with unlimited capacity with minimum trouble to passengers or go P2P.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by orca15
We (the people commenting about the firing of a GM over long lines) aren't even having the same conversation as you.

What in the world do connections have to do with long lines at ATL? Those people aren't connecting.
AMS-ATL-MEM (and all those int'l arrivals with connections) certainly have to pass security at ATL while in the past it was a AMS-MEM direct flight before they dehubbed it.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Grouchy
AMS-ATL-MEM (and all those int'l arrivals with connections) certainly have to pass security at ATL while in the past it was a AMS-MEM direct flight before they dehubbed it.
And that right there blows avcritic's argument. MEM-AMS was no longer viable after the hub was cut. The local market can't sustain a nonstop flight to AMS and can't even sustain a nonstop flight to some hub. MEM has no service to JFK, SLC, PHX, or SEA.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:11 pm

And that right there blows avcritic's argument. MEM-AMS was no longer viable after the hub was cut. The local market can't sustain a nonstop flight to AMS and can't even sustain a nonstop flight to some hub. MEM has no service to JFK, SLC, PHX, or SEA.
Dehubbing is done based on management's will, nothing do to load factors. Once the non-stop is gone, pax have no option other than connecting at available hub.

Load factors are so high they cannot even rebook on same day, where is the question of route not being viable.

Tomorrow if they toss a coin and dehub MSP or DTW, is it because those airports have no passengers.

I am not against hubs, but there is an obsession going on without any thought process.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
For a HUB native who is on numbers/ratings high, my statement may seem untrue, but not to those who are forced to take an unnecessary connection at a bottleneck HUB.
Nonsense. You claimed that there is "no reason" to connect passengers through hubs. That statement is factually incorrect.

What savings, if entire southern seaboard has to connect thru ATL, the amount of fuel, time and airport charges wasted is huge.

Same Saab 340/CRJ can do P2P without hub more efficiently.
What number of passengers each day fly between Dothan, AL and Sioux Falls, SD? Are you suggesting that an airline can efficiently serve Dothan > Sioux Falls P2P?

We wouldn't be having this discussion if there are no issues at these unnecessary hubs.
Considering the issues highlighted revolve primarily around passenger screening for O/D passengers, that comment makes no sense.

Look, you are clearly angry that you don't live in a hub. Have you thought about moving to a different city? I know that some people don't like that advice, but it seems to solve your problem.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Another article in the Atlanta newspaper:
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, who has now gone through three airport chiefs, declined to disclose why he ousted the latest general manager he hired to oversee the world’s busiest airport and the state’s biggest job generator.

But Reed did share some of what he’d like to fix.

One thing is the bathrooms at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. He thinks they need to be cleaner.

Personally, I don’t like dirty bathrooms, so if dumping Miguel Southwell as the airport’s general manager will make toilets more pristine, well, I guess it’s time to flush.
Link to the full article on an easily-circumvented paywall site.: My (not yours!) AJC - Kempner: ATL airport chiefs shouldn’t bother unpacking (Posted: 7:26 a.m. Tuesday, May 24, 2016)
Old May 25, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
So the Mayor fires the guy... what happened to the mayor saying if they don't fix the lines he personally would replace the TSA with a private service... pesky details I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.