Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
part refund or reissue?

Originally Posted by Widgets
For now, you can be on different PNRs. That won't be the case forever, at least with voluntarily divided PNRs.
What to do with a separately purchased (with 10k extra SM) C+ award for a general member companion, which seemed the only way to get them into C+ awhile ago?

a) Ask for the 10k miles to be refunded to my account, then put the companion on UG list? or, if easier

b) Reissue both tix on one PNR at original pricing?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
+1. Agreed. I was a vocal supporter of this change. My wife accompanies me at most 2-3 times a year, and often on a short NS, DTW-DSM, or to DEN. It helps keep peace at home since I'm gone so much on business travel.
Exactly the same situation here. SHE flyes with me 2-3 times a year at the most ( she is GM gifted by me ) and i really like that change in policy. Beeing a DM means C+ or F at my window.
For those telling me here on the board "the companion does not deserve this"...i will most likely end the year as a "double Diamond" with around 250k BIS miles. Should't i have the "right" ( or better privilege ) to upgrade someone travelling with me before you Mr. GM?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Exactly the same situation here. SHE flyes with me 2-3 times a year at the most ( she is GM gifted by me ) and i really like that change in policy. Beeing a DM means C+ or F at my window.
For those telling me here on the board "the companion does not deserve this"...i will most likely end the year as a "double Diamond" with around 250k BIS miles. Should't i have the "right" ( or better privilege ) to upgrade someone travelling with me before you Mr. GM?
Well to lower elites I can see their gripe but as a DM who benefits and can be affected adversely by this (I buy the cheapest Y fare) I can say I am for it. Sure some DM with a M fare may get his or her companion in C+ or in F before me, but I'm willing to give that up for the one or two times a year I travel with my companion.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta PM
Wow no posts in this bad boy for 3 days. Maybe the change is actually working out!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I have a quick question which may have been addressed already in this 19 page thread. Does it matter who purchases the tickets as long as they are on the same locater? My wife just turned PM and I will be GM this month, if I buy both tickets will her higher status be recognized for these upgrades or does she have to purchase the tickets?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure, but I'd put the higher status as the 'primary' pax just in case the system looks there.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
It definitely doesn't matter who pays. Imagine a third party pays for your ticket through a travel agent and you later add your SkyMiles numbers.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Wow no posts in this bad boy for 3 days. Maybe the change is actually working out!
The SKY didn't fall? No gangs of angry GM's and PM's with pitchforks? (FO's you know you were never going to make the UG anyway)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
It definitely doesn't matter who pays. Imagine a third party pays for your ticket through a travel agent and you later add your SkyMiles numbers.
That makes sense so as long as you are on the same locator the higher status will prevail regardless of who pay for the tickets.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
It just worked for me as well (PM on the same PNR with my SM wife).
Cleared from U into WU during the "soft launch" on the outbound for this Friday. I didn't put in for the upgrade to WU for the return on Sunday as there weren't any adjoining C+ seats. Woke up this morning to find we had both gone from U to RU 6 days before departure.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 26, 2016 at 6:02 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think for award tickets Delta's logic is working like this:

1. There are no companion upgrades on award tickets.
2. Medallions (all medallions) have an exception to this rule as a benefit of loyalty.
3. Non medallions never get this exception, even when they are a companion to a medallion.
4. When the exception is applied, companion upgrades work the same way as they do for cash tickets: highest level medallion drives priority, award tickets taking the lowest priority among eligible fare classes for Delta customers, but above sky team and other eligible non-Sky Miles groups.

I find this interesting. I would agree with 1-3, but I'm not as confident about #4. I'd guess it is either this way or the old "dragged down to member of lowest status", since even a DM + GM is entitled to an out right upgrade (rather than "companion").

Can anybody confirm this #4?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by dmann33
I find this interesting. I would agree with 1-3, but I'm not as confident about #4. I'd guess it is either this way or the old "dragged down to member of lowest status", since even a DM + GM is entitled to an out right upgrade (rather than "companion").

I'm very interested to know because this would likely influence me to gift status to my companion.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dmann33

No, there is no more being dragged down to the lowest status. I do think the award upgrades are processed after paid tickets, so in a sense you are "dragged down" but this is about fare class (award in this case) not medallion status. In the case of C+ this is less of an issue because, currently, they just process right away when you are in your window.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by AKC6
What to do with a separately purchased (with 10k extra SM) C+ award for a general member companion, which seemed the only way to get them into C+ awhile ago?

a) Ask for the 10k miles to be refunded to my account, then put the companion on UG list? or, if easier

b) Reissue both tix on one PNR at original pricing?
If two seats are still available at the same mileage (assuming you bought them both with miles), cancel (no charge for redeposit as PM) and rebook (not necessarily in that order).

If seats are not available (at least for the same miles), you're stuck. Revel in the fact that your companion is guaranteed a seat in C+ (and you aren't).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Earlier this week I saw the new companion upgrade priority rule at work. A domestic A320 flight with 16 FC seats had 4 FC seats available when check in opened and then one disappeared that morning, probably a SDC from a FC ticket, but it also could have been a last minute FC ticket purchase or FCM offer during OLCI.

By the gate, the FC upgrade list had about twenty names, with a married couple in the #1 and #2 positions. Sure enough, they were upgraded after PREM boarding, probably during zone SKY. On board, they proceeded to insist that people change seats so that Mr. and Mrs. SIL could sit together. I refused to swap my aisle for a bulkhead, but after annoying several other people, they managed to find someone who was willing to swap with them out of a bulkhead seat to take a nonbulkhead window and become my seatmate. Not surprisingly, they first tried to offer to swap their less desirable seat for a better seat.

BTW, I was upgraded several days before the flight, although not at the DM window. No upgrades were done at the DM window and mine was then the first upgrade that cleared, with maybe a half dozen upgrades clearing after me (none at the same time) and before the day of departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.