Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to plan a SDC...

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Trying to plan a SDC...

I have a first/business ticket purchased for a flight that leaves in the next 2 weeks (MCO>SEA>LAX>HNL). I'm trying to plan a SDC to a MCO>ATL>HNL flight and pay the 50$ fee. There are currently 13 first class seats open on the ATL>HNL flight. Are those open seats given out to members with status prior to the 24 hour window that opens? I thought I had read something about flights to hawaii that dont originate on the west coast but don't remember. I'm not currently too worried about the MCO>ATL flight as there is are 3 different flights I could take to make that work.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM
The Diamond Line, the ticket counter in HNL and the HNL SkyClub all would not change me to an ATL flatbed product from a west coast standard. YMMV

Edited to add: This was in December between Xmas & New Year's and HNLATL was WIDE open up front
Old May 17, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wesbob
I have a first/business ticket purchased for a flight that leaves in the next 2 weeks (MCO>SEA>LAX>HNL). I'm trying to plan a SDC to a MCO>ATL>HNL flight and pay the 50$ fee. There are currently 13 first class seats open on the ATL>HNL flight. Are those open seats given out to members with status prior to the 24 hour window that opens? I thought I had read something about flights to hawaii that dont originate on the west coast but don't remember. I'm not currently too worried about the MCO>ATL flight as there is are 3 different flights I could take to make that work.
If there's a seat on that flight 24 hours before departure, you are eligible to change to it.

Elites don't get priority for SDC. It's first come first serve.

If the agent says the system won't cooperate, ask them to do it manually. There is no official policy preventing you from changing onto that flight, as long as it is a valid routing (which it should be). HUCA is your friend.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
The Diamond Line, the ticket counter in HNL and the HNL SkyClub all would not change me to an ATL flatbed product from a west coast standard. YMMV

Edited to add: This was in December between Xmas & New Year's and HNLATL was WIDE open up front
WFBBFB.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WFBBFB.
ahhh...MSP...amazing how you are privy to conversations I had with DL (even when you weren't there) in which I asked. The fare rules showed a product differential of $200. I offered to pay it to change it. All seemed baffled that it would not even show as an option. They must have noted the record as I was contacted proactively by DL a few days later (after New Years) apologizing and was then told that there would be a tightening down to not allow SDC to flat bed product from standard domestic F no matter the fare basis. I was on (I believe) an A Fare.

WFBF is the mantra for those that bit** about not receiving a product for which they are unwilling to pay. I happily took my F class recliner to SEA...it was only a 5 hour flight - short by every frequent flyer account. Correct use of WFBBFB would be if I were complaining about not receiving said product as so many on here do.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Wait im confused now, so even though delta doesn't specific anything having to do with flat bed seats from standard firstclass, you are saying they won't change you?
Old May 17, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wait im confused now, so even though delta doesn't specific anything having to do with flat bed seats from standard firstclass, you are saying they won't change you?
This is an interesting rule in light of last minute aircraft swaps as well as DL's insistence that aircraft type or seating type isn't guaranteed. It would be simpler for DL to just designate the ATL/MSP-HNL routes as D1 like the nonstop transcons, with the understanding that meals etc. will be domestic D1 service.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:55 am

They wouldn't change me (they couldn't change me). It was not a big deal, and they genuinely wanted to help. I was already in purchased first, so it wasn't that big of a deal to me.

YMMV= Your mileage may vary. Good luck and let us know how it worked out.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Did they note anywhere in their terms that this would not be possible? I feel its pretty ...... for them to change things and not make these changes public or include them in their terms....
Old May 17, 2016, 11:10 am

Diamond line said ATL flight was sold out. I knew better.

Ticket counter said that on the SDC prompt it was not displaying the ATL (or MSP, JFK, LAX flat bed product).

They brought up fare differential for equipment type. I offered to pay that differential....they couldn't figure it out. It wasn't a big deal to them, and I didn't want to waste their time.

I guess if it was REALLY that important to you to get the ATL flight, you should have probably purchased the ATL flight.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Diamond line said ATL flight was sold out. I knew better.

Ticket counter said that on the SDC prompt it was not displaying the ATL (or MSP, JFK, LAX flat bed product).

They brought up fare differential for equipment type. I offered to pay that differential....they couldn't figure it out. It wasn't a big deal to them, and I didn't want to waste their time.

I guess if it was REALLY that important to you to get the ATL flight, you should have probably purchased the ATL flight.
WFBBFB.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Did they note anywhere in their terms that this would not be possible? I feel its pretty ...... for them to change things and not make these changes public or include them in their terms....
No, it is not noted anywhere. I'm not convinced that it's even a real rule.

Until the SDC T&Cs actually change on the website, I expect to be able to SDC if a seat is available.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WFBBFB.
Perfect use =-)
Old May 17, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Sounds like you were trying to do this at the airport right before the flight? I would be doing this 24 hours out when you can clearly still see the seat map and open seats (and can someone note what WFBBFB stands for?)
Old May 17, 2016, 11:18 am

Sounds like you were trying to do this at the airport right before the flight? I would be doing this 24 hours out when you can clearly still see the seat map and open seats (and can someone note what WFBBFB stands for?)
WFBBFB = want flat beds, buy flat beds. It's a play on bubba's favorite line WFCBFC or WBEBBE/WD1BD1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.