Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to plan a SDC...

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the fare rules don't prohibit the equipment type but instead impose a surcharge, shouldn't it be possible to pay the surcharge (without a change fee)? Isn't that the way certain flexible fares that have fees for stopovers work, namely that you can change the ticket but if doing so creates a stopover, you just would pay the stopover fee rather than cancelling and purchasing a completely new ticket?
I agree. But it would appear the DL's systems just aren't fancy enough to handle that.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sometimes I don't understand how people have the time to "game the system". Maybe they're amused by the challenge.
+1

Originally Posted by El Boocho
I may be mistaken, but I think the fare rules are somewhat irrelevant when doing a SDC in paid F. The SDC rules generally override. For example, a fare may allow a non-stop DTW-SFO flight, but the SDC rules do not permit you to change to said non-stop flight if your original flight was a connecting flight.

If Bubba's situation is actually a rule, it may be a HI to mainland rule. In the past 6 months I've certainly SDC'd a premium ticket from a standard F seat (quite possibly even an up-fare, I don't keep track of DL's silly shades of F) to one with a flat bed. As established up thread, intent doesn't matter, but I was changing from a day flight to the red eye so I could attend my son's hockey game and not to fly the flat bed seat. I remember it because it was a red eye, and I was thankful for the *slightly* better sleep.
There is a specific SDC rule prohibiting moving from connections to non-stops, but IME the fare rules do still play a role. For example, an agent override is needed if you're SDCing from a connecting A-B-C itinerary to A-D-C, where D isn't a permitted connection point for your A--C fare.

As for the second paragraph, I've absolutely SDC'd to/from flatbeds vs. domestic FC before. Many times. But the automated systems only allow it when the fare rules don't have the surcharge written in (my previous examples of JFK-ATL where the 75S is in play just for repositioning).
Old May 17, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
As for the second paragraph, I've absolutely SDC'd to/from flatbeds vs. domestic FC before. Many times. But the automated systems only allow it when the fare rules don't have the surcharge written in (my previous examples of JFK-ATL where the 75S is in play just for repositioning).
I've never used the automated system. In fact I didn't know you could make SDC online. As for the quote above, I don't doubt that is your experience, but no one has ever collected more from me for a change in equipment on a SDC. Maybe the answer is to just call Delta. Sounds like this might be a YMMV situation.

Last edited by El Boocho; May 17, 2016 at 11:36 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
So in multiple ways bubba's broken record "refusal to pay for service desired" is a biased distortion of a soundbite, but maybe that's to be expected for a radio mouthpiece

Ah, so as long as you don't "expect" it, that's ok and not hypocritical at all
Yep, the hypocrisy on this one is rich. But then not everyone thinks clearly before they speak/write.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:06 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by El Boocho
In fact I didn't know you could make SDC online.
Yep, when you check-in online, I think it's on the first page of the process, there are Change/Cancel buttons similar to what you would see on any upcoming itinerary, except when you are into the SDC period it processes it as an SDC. However IME the search for flights when you click "Change" somehow manages to be a lot slower than when you are doing a normal booking, and even after you pick new flights, I'm about 50-50 for it going through successfully or erroring out and then I end up having to call DL anyway. So usually it's easier to just call, as you suggested.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by gooselee
There is a specific SDC rule prohibiting moving from connections to non-stops, but IME the fare rules do still play a role. For example, an agent override is needed if you're SDCing from a connecting A-B-C itinerary to A-D-C, where D isn't a permitted connection point for your A--C fare.
We had this debate a while back in the SDC thread. I still believe that the language of the SDC rule trumps any fare specific rules. Others think fare rule trumps SDC rule. (SDC rule being, any open FC seat with no mention of routing restrictions aside from 1-stop to non-stop vs. fare rule sometimes having routing restrictions).

Regardless, in my experience, I have been able to SDC from ATL-SFO to ATL-JFK-SFO without any problems--agent saw the flights, and put me on them, no manual reissue necessary.

As always, YMMV. But there is no rule against doing this (as much as some people seem to wish there were).
Old May 18, 2016, 9:29 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
I have been able to SDC from ATL-SFO to ATL-JFK-SFO without any problems
What about . . . .

ATL/JFK ---> SDC to ---> ATL/SFO/JFK?!?

Old May 18, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by davetravels
ATL/JFK ---> SDC to ---> ATL/SFO/JFK?!?

iirc a couple months ago we saw where someone successfully SDCd AUS-ATL-JFK to AUS-LAX-JFK
Old May 18, 2016, 9:59 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
iirc a couple months ago we saw where someone successfully SDCd AUS-ATL-JFK to AUS-LAX-JFK
T'wasn't I - - - but, someday, when I have TONS of free time, I may try . . . .

LAX/SFO ---> SDC to ---> LAX/JFK/SFO

. . . . . Maybe I'll try this with a purchased F fare!

Last edited by davetravels; May 18, 2016 at 10:11 am
Old May 18, 2016, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
We had this debate a while back in the SDC thread. I still believe that the language of the SDC rule trumps any fare specific rules. Others think fare rule trumps SDC rule. (SDC rule being, any open FC seat with no mention of routing restrictions aside from 1-stop to non-stop vs. fare rule sometimes having routing restrictions).

Regardless, in my experience, I have been able to SDC from ATL-SFO to ATL-JFK-SFO without any problems--agent saw the flights, and put me on them, no manual reissue necessary.

As always, YMMV. But there is no rule against doing this (as much as some people seem to wish there were).
When I've called to SDC and had knowledgable agents (Chisholm), part of the discussion has involved looking at the routing rules associated with my fare. In one recent case, I changed the routing from DTW to ATL in both directions. Each time, the computer didn't offer the SDC automatically to the agent (I had a G A P fare and FC seats were available) but then the phone agent looked into the fare rules, agreed that it was allowed, and made it happen, I suspect by doing a manual reissue of the ticket.

So based on my (fewish) data points, I believe that officially the routing rules matter, although some agents might either ignore this detail or decide to waive the rule without comment especially when the SDC looks reasonable. I could especially imagine airport agents feeling time pressed or seeing that one was trying to SDC away from flights that were overbooked or likely to need seats due to IROPs and deciding to allow it.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Figured I would jump back in and share my experience.

After talking to 6 different people including 2 supervisors this morning I was informed that I could not do a SDC period because there was no same fare's available for SDC. I informed all of them that because it is a premium fare class it was a non issue and to read their terms. The last supervisor I talked to informed me I needed to contact delta's corporate customer service to have them correct the rules on the website.

Approximately 4 minutes later I was on with a customer support reservations supervisor and she had waived my SDC fee's, changed my flight and informed me she would be contact the 6 people I spoke to this morning to correct all of them.

From now on I'll just skip the people at the reservations desk and go straight to someone who actually knows something about the product they are supporting.

**edit** after trying to check in it says cannot validate ticket. Now waiting on hold again

**edit #2** Finally checked in. Had to have someone finish the reissue.

Last edited by wesbob; May 24, 2016 at 7:09 am
Old May 24, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
ahhh...MSP...amazing how you are privy to conversations I had with DL (even when you weren't there) in which I asked. The fare rules showed a product differential of $200. I offered to pay it to change it. All seemed baffled that it would not even show as an option. They must have noted the record as I was contacted proactively by DL a few days later (after New Years) apologizing and was then told that there would be a tightening down to not allow SDC to flat bed product from standard domestic F no matter the fare basis. I was on (I believe) an A Fare.

WFBF is the mantra for those that bit** about not receiving a product for which they are unwilling to pay. I happily took my F class recliner to SEA...it was only a 5 hour flight - short by every frequent flyer account. Correct use of WFBBFB would be if I were complaining about not receiving said product as so many on here do.
Based on what you posted, you were complaining about not getting it (for $200).
Old May 24, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
A financially healthy airline is an airline on which I want to fly.
There were years in which you must have done a lot of walking.

But what differs between you trying to SDC to a flatbed and other people doing the same?
Old May 24, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
This is just my 2 cents. I personally do not like gaming any system in life - it makes me uncomfortable. Hell I hate/rarely use a SC if I am flying another airline even though I have paid extra for executive membership. It does not feel right. I definitely do not try and game the SDC system. But that is me and each to their own and I will not criticize others for it. When people brag about gaming a system - I have to agree with bubba - it is a loophole that needs to be closed IMHO.
So I suppose I shouldn't tell you about the way to remain Diamond perpetually by flying 70K miles/year and spending an average of $12.5K/year on a Delta Amex.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
So I suppose I shouldn't tell you about the way to remain Diamond perpetually by flying 70K miles/year and spending an average of $12.5K/year on a Delta Amex.
By slipping an envelope to someone at Virginia Ave? 😉
Old May 24, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wesbob
Yes I would just like to point out that I am not gaming the system, I am following the rules they put into place. Whats the price differential between my flying 1st on a standard 2 stop and flying 1st in a layflat 1 stop? One could argue it makes more financial sense for delta.

I'm doing nothing more than something uncommon within the rules set forth. I'm pretty sure there is a Tim Ferris quote that goes something like that. I suppose you are probably also the type of person who pays full price for hotels and rental cars to and would be upset with people for using promotion codes for hotels and cars? Looking at the thread more i'm wondering if maybe bubba is fabricating this to dissuade people from attempting this?
Delta really is changing the rules to not allow SDC to D1. They haven't yet, but some agents know about it already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.