Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on size

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Originally Posted by rdrink25
I am looking to get a case to carry some high end camera equipment and wanted to know if I could get this in an overhead bin. The size of the case is 29 x 16 x 9 which equals 54 linear inches. I think Delta says 45 linear inches but was wondering if the case would fit in the bin?
Also Think Tank also Makes a line of Camera Bags that fit in Over Head Bins in Planes: https://www.thinktankphoto.com/colle...ries-backpacks
Old May 6, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Originally Posted by skyrider117
Check out thinktankphoto.com. They have a number of cases made specifically for photo/video.
I just bought the "Airport Commuter" Backpack style.
I would second that. I own the Airpot Commuter and it even fits under the seat in the smaller planes.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by Widgets
My 20" Travelpro fits in the carry-on size check. It also fits in CR7/9 bins
Can you send me a link to your travelpro? I want to get one... None of the 20 21 22 I have seen will fit in the DL sizer.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Widgets
My 20" Travelpro fits in the carry-on size check. It also fits in CR7/9 bins
I also have a 20" B&R that fits just fine in everything but CR2s. And an 18" that fits in the short side MD bins, wheels out.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Do you guys check in a bag also? Otherwise, how can you get a way with 18 or 20"? I am a guy and pack pretty smartly. I can't see how one can dress professionally for a week trip with a 18" or 20"...
Old May 28, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by wlau
Do you guys check in a bag also? Otherwise, how can you get a way with 18 or 20"? I am a guy and pack pretty smartly. I can't see how one can dress professionally for a week trip with a 18" or 20"...
You can probably pack smarter. What are the major items in your bag?

I get by for 10 days just fine on my 22" Rimowa which also fits in the overhead of a CRJ.

The big thing for me is only needing the shoes I am wearing. There are also clothes that pack much better than others. The biggest gains are probably in the packing size of socks and underwear but also dress pants and shirts, some are probably 1/3 the packing size of others.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just got back from a 3 night trip and my 18" was way too big. I can do 5 days of business clothes in the 18", though that's about the limit. Luckily most of my trips max out at 4 days which is comfortable. The 20" is a nice backup for colder months/destinations but is mostly used by Mrs. Lee for vacations now.

I use packing folders and now a cube, which helps greatly. Also to my advantage, on longer trips I'm usually visiting multiple clients, so I can get away with only taking two jackets/pants (or suits) and just not wearing the same ones back to back.
Old May 28, 2016, 4:26 pm

The 22" Rimowa should not fit in the sizer - I am very sure of that. With the hard handle and wheels, it should exceed length-wise. I bought a 22" Rimowa a while ago and had to return it. I think you are being very lucky some GA hasn't picked on you... I think TravelPro is as good as it get for maximize space.

I usually have 1-2 pairs of jeans (which seem take up a lot of thickness) for weekends. 4-5 dress shirts and 2-3 pants of dress pants. One pair of shorts, because it's very hot in Asia and it's hard to wear long pants and jeans in a lot of the cases... 4-5 t-shirts that go underneath my dress shirt. One suit jacket. Depending on what's planned, I may have a casual jacket. 2 pairs of shoes in the suitcase - gym + dress. 7-10 sets of underwear and socks... a toiletry bag for things like hair gel, hair spray - things too large for the carry-on 3oz rule.

Most of my travel buddies tell me that I pack very optimally and I have dated some FAs to learn some nice tricks. I can jam everything into a 22" but those 22" are the ones flirting on the edge of not fitting into the sizer.

I think the issue for me is that I need to look very presentable with suit pants and jacket. Plus I swing from very cold to very hot regions, so I need to have weather appropriate clothes in the suitcase.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:39 pm

The 22" Rimowa should not fit in the sizer - I am very sure of that. With the hard handle and wheels, it should exceed length-wise. I bought a 22" Rimowa a while ago and had to return it. I think you are being very lucky some GA hasn't picked on you... I think TravelPro is as good as it get for maximize space.
That is bizzare, maybe you are confused about the size you bought? Which Rimowa did you guy? I have a Salsa 22" and have been travelling for 7 years with it. it fits just fine in the sizer and like I said perfectly in a CRJ200 bin which shows it isn't that big. It's only 21.7x7.7 and as shown in a previous post the sizer is actually 23x10 so it is just not sensible that a 22 doesn't fit in it.

http://www.flight001.com/rimowa-sals...n-trolley.html

I usually have 1-2 pairs of jeans (which seem take up a lot of thickness) for weekends. 4-5 dress shirts and 2-3 pants of dress pants. One pair of shorts, because it's very hot in Asia and it's hard to wear long pants and jeans in a lot of the cases... 4-5 t-shirts that go underneath my dress shirt. One suit jacket. Depending on what's planned, I may have a casual jacket. 2 pairs of shoes in the suitcase - gym + dress. 7-10 sets of underwear and socks... a toiletry bag for things like hair gel, hair spray - things too large for the carry-on 3oz rule.

Most of my travel buddies tell me that I pack very optimally and I have dated some FAs to learn some nice tricks. I can jam everything into a 22" but those 22" are the ones flirting on the edge of not fitting into the sizer.

I think the issue for me is that I need to look very presentable with suit pants and jacket. Plus I swing from very cold to very hot regions, so I need to have weather appropriate clothes in the suitcase.
Packing 2 pair of shoes in your bag is definitely a huge problem for space. I have a pair of really thin collapsible gym shoes, and I wear shoes that can pass as formal or casual. Sometimes I bring some flip-flops, but these are small as well. If you pack two pair of full size shoes you are pretty much in trouble from the start.

There are shirts, jeans and dress pants that pack much lighter than others. I have some Nike golf pants for dress pants and they take up 1/3 the space of normal dress pants. Some synthetic material shirts (t-shirts and dress shirts) are extremely thin as well.

Shorts are easy, I always bring a pair of board shorts in case I want to swim in the hotel pool regardless of the climate.

I only check a bag when I have to bring equipment for work. And I usually have to bring work-specific jacket and shirts every time I travel so I have to deal with that. Last holiday I put a sleeping bag, snorkeling mask, underwater camera case, and 10 days worth of clothing in my 22". You have a ways to go
Old May 28, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I have the Rimowa Salsa Air 22". I've not tried it in a CRJ200. But it easily fits in every other CRJ that Delta flies.

ETA: And in the sizer with room to spare.

Last edited by BamaGirl; May 28, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 1:37 am

The one I had is this: http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/salsa-ca...ge/810.52.32.4

It was not fitting for me, admittedly it was last year when I was shopping for luggage. I personally do not believe they are too big, so I am sure there are differences in sizers.

I have been taking pictures of sizer, there are definitely different styles of them.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:49 am

That makes no sense man.... it is not considered a large carry-on. What airline? Which was the offending direction? That is slightly taller than my bag but just 0.2"

The international standard is 22x14x9 which that bag fits no problem. A few airlines are slightly smaller, Air France is officially 21 inches, but their sizer is slightly bigger and my bag fits in it fine.

http://www.worldtraveler.com/interna...-carry-on-size

I travel many different airlines, and see weight as an occasional issue... but for a bag that size you should never have problems.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
I use a Manfrotto roll-aboard that is 22 X 14 X 9, max legal size. Even fits in regionals, although a squeeze. 2 bodies with battery grips, 8 lenses, 1/2 doz filters, chargers, cables and 2 speedlights.

https://www.manfrotto.com/products/bags/roller

Last edited by TurfGuy; May 29, 2016 at 4:30 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 1:07 pm

The sizer is from DL. Ever since I got force gate checked and my luggage damaged as a result of that, I have been trying various sizers at different airports and even taking some pictures.

DL has several sizers, not counting the small one for CRJ. I saw one sizer that looks like a rectangle frame, where the length side facing you is full across and I saw another one that doesn't run across, which makes it easier to fit the front pocket that may be bulging a little. Then there is yet another one with solid panel on all sides, which is the most difficult to fit.

When I was shopping for luggage last year, I drove to the airport and tried the the sizer at the check-in counter to rule out several problematic one.

The key issue is the most luggage manufacturers publish dimensions that reflect the suitcase/cavity only. Whereas airlines, count the wheels and handle in their dimension. which means a 22" luggage by description most likely will not fit or will not fit easily in a 22" sizer. The biggest deviation comes from 4 wheeler hard cases with durable plastic handles... If that 21" hard case fits the sizer, then it's capacity is much smaller to a 21" soft case with receded 2 wheels and softer material that can flex and expand a little.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The only thing that will fit in Delta's sizer is 17" up to 19" carry-on that are sold in the store these days... Most of the 20, 21, 22" inch carry-on that are supposedly "airline approved" will not fit in Delta's sizer. The wheels and plastic handle are counted by the 22" length dimension. Those bags are likely to break at least 1 of the dimension limits. If you look at 17" bags, they can barely fit a pair of shoes...
I have a 22" (including wheels and handle) and, with the exception of Barbie jet, it has fit, wheels first, in the overhead of every airplane I have ever used -- be it Delta or anyone else.

When I used to fly in Y, I had to be careful not to exceed the weight limit that many European airlines have (as low as 8 kilos) but now that I fly only Biz, I am allowed 16 kg and have never reached that much. (Delta has no weight limitations except at 4 Asian airports.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.