Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more MQM's for award travel?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

No more MQM's for award travel?

I saw threads on here last year about getting MQM's for travelling and paying with miles. I did the pay with miles + cash and my boarding passes say "no ff credit". It's been 4 days since my last flight and I haven't received any MQM's.

Did this policy change and does Delta no longer give credit on award travel?
Old May 1, 2016, 2:39 pm

Pay With Miles is different from Miles + Cash.

Did you bring down the cost of an Award Ticket with money?

Or did you bring down the cost of a Revenue Ticket with miles?

The latter earns MQM, the former doesn't.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

So if I had just paid with miles only I would've gotten MQM's? I paid some money to spend fewer 5k miles.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Mileage award reservations do NOT give you any MQM. They never have.

If an award ticket, for example, costs 10,000 miles and you use some $ to offset that cost so it only costs 5k, you still buy an award ticket at the end of the day and do not get MQM.

If, however, you buy a normal ticket, that costs, let's say $450... And you use some miles to offset that cost. Then you've purchased a normal ticket and accrue miles just like you would if you paid all cash.

The redemption rates for the former tend to be much better, so this makes sense ;-)
Old May 1, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jfw432
So if I had just paid with miles only I would've gotten MQM's? I paid some money to spend fewer 5k miles.
No. It's not how you pay (miles or dollars) that matters. It whether the fare is a revenue fare (i.e. with a fare class and a dollar value) or an award fare (with an award level and a points value) that matters.

"Pay With Miles" is a special feature of holding an Delta AmEx card that allows you to use points to cover the cost of a revenue fare.

"Cash + Miles" is a feature available to all SkyMiles members on certain award fares that allows you to effectively purchase points to apply to your award ticket instead of drawing down your existing SkyMiles balance.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Bummer...guess I misinterpreted some previous posts. Need 95 miles to reach Silver and this flight didn't do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.