Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First American and now Delta (MD-80 retirement by 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:10 am
Original Poster

As of what I heard Delta did comfirm 75 CSeries aircraft and some more Airbus aircraft. And me being an MD-80 fan this really upset me as it said Delta wanted to get rid of their MD-88's by 2020. Now I understand this is for lower fuel and maintenance costs but still this did upset me. It didn't say anything about MD-90's and 717's but I highly hope they all last well past 2030. Personally I never flew on a CSeries but I will admit myself that they seem to be a good fit for Delta. The MD-88 retirement is another story though.

http://www.startribune.com/delta-air-lines-orders-more-airbus-planes-to-replace-aging-fleet/377554271/
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Seems like they will be retired between 2020-2022. It will be a very sad day. The MD-80 is one of the finest aircraft ever built and stunningly beautiful.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
The MD-88/90 should be retired. Besides fuel consumption and maint costs, it has very small bins (2 seat side), even the 3 seat side is not very big. Also small and way to low windows. I'm only 6'2" and it hurts my neck to try and see out of them. It's time to upgrade, I would think even the pilots would appreciate a state of the art aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
As of what I heard Delta did comfirm 75 CSeries aircraft and some more Airbus aircraft. And me being an MD-80 fan this really upset me as it said Delta wanted to get rid of their MD-88's by 2020. Now I understand this is for lower fuel and maintenance costs but still this did upset me. It didn't say anything about MD-90's and 717's but I highly hope they all last well past 2030. Personally I never flew on a CSeries but I will admit myself that they seem to be a good fit for Delta. The MD-88 retirement is another story though.

http://www.startribune.com/delta-air...eet/377554271/
Just curious, MKEflyer95... what is it that you love about the MD-88s? I think it's one of the worst aircraft in the sky. I'd frankly rather fly a regional jet. But, just curious.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AdamATL
Just curious, MKEflyer95... what is it that you love about the MD-88s? I think it's one of the worst aircraft in the sky. I'd frankly rather fly a regional jet. But, just curious.
3-2 seating = 80% of the seats on the plane are not middle seats. 2 across seating feels more spacious and is perfect for those traveling with a companion. Plus they are a quiet ride up front.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Seems like they will be retired between 2020-2022. It will be a very sad day. The MD-80 is one of the finest aircraft ever built and stunningly beautiful.
Delta folks said the MD-90s would fly through 2025 and the 717s through the end of the next decade, so around 2030 — though that seems like quite a while...
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
#byeFelicia
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
Personally I never flew on a CSeries
Not surprising, the C-series has not yet made its first commercial flight (scheduled next month)
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:43 pm
Suspended

You have to be an aircraft enthusiast to enjoy the beauty of the MD-80. So it's not surprising to see the comments from most of you. Have fun with the bland airplanes being cranked out these days.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
You have to be an aircraft enthusiast to enjoy the beauty of the MD-80. So it's not surprising to see the comments from most of you. Have fun with the bland airplanes being cranked out these days.
I don't get the hate for the Mad-Dogs. Most seats get a quiet ride, especially up front. In Y, only 20% of seats are undesirable middle seats versus 33% and the 2 seat side makes that whole side of the plane really desirable when traveling with one companion. You both get a desirable seat. Neither is stuck in the middle. I don't fly them as much anymore being on the West Coast but MD-88s are still the aircraft I've flown the most in my flight history (although the 757 is quickly catching up).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
You have to be an aircraft enthusiast to enjoy the beauty of the MD-80 DC-9.
Long Beach's finest.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It will be sad to see the 88s go. But, I really don't see them much anyway because they don't use them out west. But, I've always liked the DC-9 derivatives much better than a 707 and the planes that use the same fuselage.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I really don't see them much anyway because they don't use them out west.
I sometimes see them SFO-MSP
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I sometimes see them SFO-MSP
Are you sure those are MD-88s and not MD-90s, which do occasionally operate MSP-West Coast?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:18 pm
Suspended

The furthest west I've ever seen the MD-88 is CVG-ABQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.