Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are my odds: Waitlisted for a mileage upgrade DTW-PVG in 7 weeks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

I'm headed to China in June and I have some miles to burn, so I tried for an upgrade with miles. No availability; no big surprise.

But I am curious what my odds are of a successful upgrade, and when it may come. Anyone with experience?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:06 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I'm headed to China in June and I have some miles to burn, so I tried for an upgrade with miles. No availability; no big surprise.

But I am curious what my odds are of a successful upgrade, and when it may come. Anyone with experience?
I'm Gold like you and I get no upgrade to any Asian port. We have a lot of Diamonds that fly out of DTW. DTW is also a major Asia HUB. Personally I wouldn't bank on it, trying for E+ is about all I would expect.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by t1c
I'm Gold like you and I get no upgrade to any Asian port. We have a lot of Diamonds that fly out of DTW. DTW is also a major Asia HUB. Personally I wouldn't bank on it, trying for E+ is about all I would expect.
I'm waitlisted for the mileage upgrade, and only five seats taken (I know, I know...) so I feel like there has to be a chance. But I don't know how often space opens up?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:25 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
I'm waitlisted for the mileage upgrade, and only five seats taken (I know, I know...) so I feel like there has to be a chance. But I don't know how often space opens up?
When do you fly out they are changing everything as we speak?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by t1c
When do you fly out they are changing everything as we speak?
June 19.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrades to Asia generally won't clear until at gate.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM
Complete crapshoot at this point. What's your fare class? (Anecdotally, I've seen OP inventory magically open up prior to departure on higher fare classes, but almost always at the gate for lower ones...)

Seats could stay empty; then you're golden... Or they could fill up.

Regardless, make sure they properly transfer your UG request to the gate (I think they can for miles? Doesn't always happen automatically), and wait to board... All it takes is one person to not show up and you're golden! (Have gotten at least two otherwise impossible BF UGs this way).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by appleguru
Complete crapshoot at this point. What's your fare class? (Anecdotally, I've seen OP inventory magically open up prior to departure on higher fare classes, but almost always at the gate for lower ones...)

Regardless, make sure they properly transfer your UG request to the gate (I think they can for miles? Doesn't always happen automatically), and wait to board... All it takes is one person to not show up and you're golden! (Have gotten at least two otherwise impossible BF UGs this way).
Thanks for all of this. I'll just chew my fingernails off over the next few weeks. First (and probably last) time ever on a 747. I'd love it to be in the upper deck.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by appleguru

NO, the rules say that mileage upgrades will not be processed at the gate, but some GAs will do it if there's time and they ahve empty seats.

Remember that many international business class tickets are purchased fairly close to the time of departure, although I suspect that there's a bit less of this to destinations that require visas.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM
Lots of business people have multiple entry visas, especially for PRC.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, the rules say that mileage upgrades will not be processed at the gate, but some GAs will do it if there's time and they ahve empty seats.

Remember that many international business class tickets are purchased fairly close to the time of departure, although I suspect that there's a bit less of this to destinations that require visas.
I wondered about this, having read a few reports of problems here before. But I asked the agent specifically and she said it could clear (and indeed like would not clear until) at the airport. Granted, I was a little nervous after our conversation, but I'm hopeful this will work out.

Either way, I'll get my 747.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I asked the agent specifically and she said it could clear (and indeed like would not clear until) at the airport.
The phone agents have always said that mileage upgrades can clear at the gate and gate agents almost always say no. If you have not cleared by the day of departure and there are still open seats, I do think it is worth going a little bit early and asking at SP check in, the SC, or perhaps a red coat. You need someone with more authority and more time than the GA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.