Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta baggage nightmare continues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Delta baggage nightmare continues

I have been very loyal to Delta and am generally happy until last incident. I have had it with the call center people. Anyone here or any DL lurkers here can point me to an escalation path to resolve my issue? I tried all the traditional escalation paths but no luck. Issues:

1) Flew out of SJC with a normal carry-on that I have flown on endless of DL flights. GA insisted the bag is too big but I told him it will easily fit on the Embraer 175 but he doesn't care and force checked my carry-on (or deny my boarding)

2) Arrived in SEA and try to get the bag out but can't, because SJC GA checked it through DTW. SEA agents were very nice and tried very hard to get it out but no luck

3) Arrived at DTW to retrieve the bag - you guess it, the bag was severely damaged. Bottom carriage cracked, miss a wheel and it had road/cement debris on it. Called in and CSR asked me to start the claim, so I went to DTW baggage service.

4) DTW baggage refuse to start a claim, saying DL does not cover luggage damage. I read through the CoC with them then they backdown, said baggage is covered but wheels are not covered. I then read through the baggage claim fine print with them, which does not exclude wheels. After 2.5-3 hours of wheeling and dealing, they finally started the claim.

5) Got home after my trip and try to follow up and was told claim never started, just a reference number for the incident. I asked how to start the claim, they said "READ THE PAPER YOU'VE GIVEN" but did and it suggested the process already started.

6) 16 phone calls to baggage dept (many other calls to other dept) and told me to goto delta.com/bagclaim which is different than what's the paperwork given to me. Went to that site and use the reference number to start the claim but the stupid system doesn't like my email address, there is an email format verifier on the webform and it has a bug. It doesn't like the same email used my SkyMiles account.

7) Call back and try to explain that system doesn't like my valid email and baggage dept front line CSRs doesn't believe it. Asked them to walk through the form with me, they refused. They said if I can't submit the web claim form, then I can't find a claim.

I think they did this on purpose! Just series of ro.......s to prevent you from making a proper claim.

DOES DELTA HAVE ANYONE WITH COMMON SENSE LEFT? WHAT ABOUT A LITTLE, JUST A LITTLE CARE?!

@Delta twitter is not useful either, just a lot of back and forth of worthless information trying to make it less bad for Delta.

Last edited by wlau; Apr 29, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:00 pm

Since January 9, the DOT has required Airlines to cover wheels, zippers, handles, etc. Also, Airlines could never deny a claim even if it would eventually be denied. Baggage service agents are briefed on these items monthly: we cover wheels, and NEVER refuse to create a file.

Try threatening a DOT complaint since DL was apparently defying a direct DOT policy clarification.

In your message, let Delta know why you're considering a DOT complaint. Be brief and leave out emotion and unrealistic demands.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Thanks! I did gently imply I would file the complaints but they were very clear wheels are not covered and did not want to start the claim. I am curious who/what VP/director runs DTW baggage. This is a leadership issue...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Go through DL.Com and file a complaint on there. Include bag tags and other key tracking numbers. The DL.Com seem to be more responsive. Also saves time on the phone.

I have never had too many issues with DL on luggage and I always check a bag. My only issue was when it took 50 minutes to bring out my two bags. The Baggage Desk person was the rudest person I have ever dealt with. I filed a complaint about her and recieved a call from a Baggage Claim Supervisor to get more details. She was very nice. Offered my miles for the issue. I declined them and told her it was nice they called and cared.

Now, I can tell you if you have to call TSA about your bag obviously getting inspected and TSA approved locks left off, they will never respond. I have a rolling tool box, which I expect to always get inspected(I am fine and glad they do). However on six different occasions they have left one of the two locks off and three of the times never put a paper in the box that it was inspected.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigDawg23
Go through DL.Com and file a complaint on there. Include bag tags and other key tracking numbers. The DL.Com seem to be more responsive. Also saves time on the phone.
You didn't read all the details I posted. DL.com would not allow me to submit the claim on the webform because it has an broken email address format verifier that thinks my email address is invalid but it is valid and Delta use it to email me all the time... It won't let me submit...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:30 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by wlau
You didn't read all the details I posted. DL.com would not allow me to submit the claim on the webform because it has an broken email address format verifier that thinks my email address is invalid but it is valid and Delta use it to email me all the time... It won't let me submit...
Yes I am sure they read all the details. They meant to just use the comment portion of the website. You need to calm down. Your anger/frustration is clearly coming through here and that attitude will definitely rub people the wrong way who are the only ones who will be able to help you (Delta employees).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by wlau
Why not create a new account at any of the free providers out there (gmail.com/outlook.com/etc) for the purposes of filing this claim, and adding your normal email address as part of the comment submittal?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Widgets
Since January 9, the DOT has required Airlines to cover wheels, zippers, handles, etc. Also, Airlines could never deny a claim even if it would eventually be denied. Baggage service agents are briefed on these items monthly: we cover wheels, and NEVER refuse to create a file.

Try threatening a DOT complaint since DL was apparently defying a direct DOT policy clarification.

In your message, let Delta know why you're considering a DOT complaint. Be brief and leave out emotion and unrealistic demands.
First OP, do continue the claim with Delta however stressful that may be.

Second, don't threaten a DOT complaint simply file one. Having a government agency on your side is an amazing change. Complaint form can be found here.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Just file the DOT complaint. If you had done this after one attempt at making a claim with DL, you would have either a replacement bag or a check for a new one already.

But, when you file your DOT complaint --- calm down before you file, keep it short, stick to the facts and have someone proofread it. None of the stuff about whether your bag fits the '175 matters. All that matters is that you checked the bag and it was damaged while under DL's care.

DOT will log the complaint, forward it to DL for a response and someone at DL will process it.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Who was the GA at SJC that made you check your bag? I've never had an issue with the GAs at my home airport.

Good luck getting your bag fixed. My experience with DL baggage damage isn't good. I'm glad I have a Briggs and Riley though and their no questions asked guaranteed has been great.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:55 pm

Just for your reference
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...v_11242015.pdf
Old May 1, 2016, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
Yes I am sure they read all the details. They meant to just use the comment portion of the website. You need to calm down. Your anger/frustration is clearly coming through here and that attitude will definitely rub people the wrong way who are the only ones who will be able to help you (Delta employees).
Funny, one person said to be brief and stick to the point, and then you say my anger comes through when I am making comments short. If I was that angry, I won't be here... This type of mentality is the exact enabling thing for Delta to not bother fixing system.

Originally Posted by landeej
Why not create a new account at any of the free providers out there (gmail.com/outlook.com/etc) for the purposes of filing this claim, and adding your normal email address as part of the comment submittal?
So, I am supposed to create fake email accounts and setup my computers, phones, and devices to check it, all because Delta cannot get a such a basic thing to work? Why should I go through that and why should Google/Microsoft get to deal with an extra unused aliases? I am not letting DL blame the victim or blame others for their own problems.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Who was the GA at SJC that made you check your bag? I've never had an issue with the GAs at my home airport.

Good luck getting your bag fixed. My experience with DL baggage damage isn't good. I'm glad I have a Briggs and Riley though and their no questions asked guaranteed has been great.
Thanks! Delta is horrible at baggage damages - I definitely learned this. GA was Eddie! Their station manager Frank is nicer but actionless - all talk no action. I have been a loyal DL pax with the exception of a couple of years when one of my employers was solely on UA.

--

I have my ways to get even. I diverted a high revenue flight to a DL competitor - the profit lost is easily many multiples of the bag cost. I spoke about my experience at a couple of weekend events and educated people about Delta's use of E175 B717 and similar small aircraft and the realism of my issues. DL is trying to grow their coverage on the west coast and my story already scared quite a few to not want to try DL - carrying electronics is very common for silicon valley business people when traveling. When DL flies smaller planes and gets nasty with carry-on bags, they won't have a lot of chance of growing in Northern California.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:18 pm

E175 and 717 have mainline-level overhead bins that accommodate all carry-on size-compliant luggage. Were you at the end of boarding when bins may have filled up? Or the GA incorrectly assumed Delta Connection = small bins.

Situations like these are why I let passengers try to stow onboard unless the item doesn't fit in the carry-on size box; boarding with an oversized carry-on, even if it can fit in a bin, can be an $11,000 fine and it takes space away from compliant passengers. "It always fits and no one ever stopped me before" is not an excuse for boarding with an oversized bag (NOT targeted at OP, but to passengers who try to bring 4' long backpacks as carry-ons).
Old May 1, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
E175 and 717 have mainline-level overhead bins that accommodate all carry-on size-compliant luggage. Were you at the end of boarding when bins may have filled up? Or the GA incorrectly assumed Delta Connection = small bins.

Situations like these are why I let passengers try to stow onboard unless the item doesn't fit in the carry-on size box; boarding with an oversized carry-on, even if it can fit in a bin, can be an $11,000 fine and it takes space away from compliant passengers. "It always fits and no one ever stopped me before" is not an excuse for boarding with an oversized bag (NOT targeted at OP, but to passengers who try to bring 4' long backpacks as carry-ons).
I was boarding in the elite zone, so I was NOT the tail end of process. The luggage claim in DTW refused to believe it until I strongly suggest to them to pull the boarding list, which they did and confirmed that I was boarding very early on.

I honestly think the GA was being intentional nasty, i.e., bad day, or whatever, and I got picked on. I think he know the OHB is not too small, or we would have done the pink-tag gate check of bags. I have a 21.4" carry-on size used by many seasoned traveler and flight crews. Besides that, I was carrying a small computer bag.

After I boarded, I watched many pax came onboard with bags significantly larger than mine and the woman sat next to me had a big Gucci make up case, + large LV handbag, + a similar sized (to my) Tumi carry on, + garment bag! She also had a SBUX Venti drink with her, which was spilled onto the seat and one side of my pants. Clearly the GA was profiling or being very selective.

I do, however, want to mention that E175 and B717's bins are smaller than other mainline aircrafts, even though they are meant to be "full size". MDs have non-symmetric OHB as one side only has 2 seats... My point is that my bag is standard carry-on sized and fits easily in the OHB.

My comment about small planes are very true. I am not sure where you are based at. RJ is a very common aircraft used to cover my home airport of SJC. It's actually rare to see a full-size mainline DL aircraft. RJ is used to feed LAX, SEA, PDX, and SLC on certain schedule with E175 being the other mix and occasionally B717. 737, A319, A320 are only use when the flight comes from MSP or ATL (I think).

Last edited by wlau; May 1, 2016 at 1:45 pm
Old May 1, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Just trying to be a voice of reason here-
To start, take the pink tag, smile, say NOTHING, shove it in your pocket on the gangway and take your bag on board anyway. It's what the pros do.

- it seems silly not to just make a gmail.com address rather than trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. It's not "fake" it's just what would work
- you're getting very good advice here, a few people brought up that you sound angry and should stay calm, they are saying that for a reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.