Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta news hub post: "SkyMiles members enjoy record redemptions in first quarter"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta news hub post: "SkyMiles members enjoy record redemptions in first quarter"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

Was looking through the news section on the DL web site to see if there was any other stuff from yesterday/today's announcements and saw:

http://news.delta.com/skymiles-membe...-first-quarter

Members redeemed miles for more than 2.2 million Award trips in the first three months of the year, or about one Award every 3.5 seconds [...] Even better for SkyMiles members, the average mileage redemption amount per ticket was down approximately 10 percent versus last year.
1. Macro/aggregated behavior always interest me (e.g. one of the LV buffets used to have TV screens with videos/factoids to entertain people waiting line and one of them was like, how many pounds of prime rib they go through in a day). 2.2 million sounds like a lot, but then Delta has a lot of customers. One every 3.5 seconds!

2. Obviously this comes with marketing spin -- my first thought was "everyone's rushing to cash them in before they get devalued even further" -- but not sure how that squares with the second part I quoted. Clearly the award levels have gone up and there's dynamic pricing now; could the effect of the sales be that strong? Lies, damn lies, and statistics -- would like to see the numbers behind the calculation here.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
People using miles do not collect MQM. Maybe it is also a sign of frequent flyers jumping ship.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
Clearly the award levels have gone up and there's dynamic pricing now; could the effect of the sales be that strong?
To me award levels have clearly decreased in recent months with some awards available for as low as 3,500 miles one-way. Increases in the past year are not clear to me.

Last edited by Beckles; Apr 29, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Purely anecdotal, but we've upped our redemptions. 10K one ways and 20-25K r/ts domestic on low-competition (ie high-cash) routes is working for us. It is actually the main reason I bank miles at all, for domestic trips that price out stupid in paid classes. Of course there are times when that also means a bumped up redemption rate, but surprisingly not as much as one might expect.

thesaints: maybe. But I used 8K pesos to Pay With Miles a V fare up to F, and collected 150% MQMs. So there can be a benefit to status qual to redemptions in some cases, besides just enjoying a fairly cheap FCM of course.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: delta dm
You can make any marketing political medical study say whatever you want
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
One way awards are relatively new and would almost certainly lead to an increase in the number of award tickets and a decrease in the number of miles per ticket. One way awards are certainly a customer-friendly and overdue feature, but I expect they on their own could easily explain a 10% reduction in the miles per ticket without indicating that members are getting 10% better value per mile (as the statistic was presumably intended to imply).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.