Preferences for DM Choice Benefits

Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Preferences for DM Choice Benefits

Good evening FT,

I'm about to choose my 2016 DM choice benefits - the 4 GUCs are a no-brainer for me for the first choice (10th Anniversary trip with the Mrs.), but I'm interested in the forum's thoughts about what to choose as the second benefit. Most of my travel is domestic for work, but I also take 4-5 trips per year with my wife and son (neither have status).

Like to hear some takes on this - thanks for the help!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are you doing for your PM choice?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by JAXYank
I'm about to choose my 2016 DM choice benefits - the 4 GUCs are a no-brainer for me for the first choice (10th Anniversary trip with the Mrs.), but I'm interested in the forum's thoughts about what to choose as the second benefit. Most of my travel is domestic for work, but I also take 4-5 trips per year with my wife and son (neither have status).
We all agree the GUC's are a gimme for the first choice.

I'd recommend taking the 25,000 miles. If you are smart enough to get a decent award (like an international biz-class award), those miles worth more than 2 cents each. Of course, that takes patience and enough other miles to combine to have enough for something like a roundtrip award to Europe in biz class.

If you can use those 25,000 miles effectively, that's over $500 in redemption value. That exceeds the value of the other choices like the gift certificates or the upgrade to an Executive Skyclub membership.

You can upgrade some one to Gold status, but I wonder how much value the giftee would really get if he or she isn't earning status on their own.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are you doing for your PM choice?
OP didn't ask, but I'd suggest taking the 20,000 miles instead of the four RUC's -- if the OP isn't going to fly SFO/LAX-JFK. I'd like the RUC's for that route; otherwise I rolled the dice with no-RUC medallion upgrade queue.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Thanks - actually took the 4 RUCs already as my PM choice. Almost any transcon flying I do is to SEA, and those have come in handy, especially on the 4:40+ ATL-SEA leg.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:37 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
For Plat I like the $200 Delta voucher. If I did LAX-NYC regularly would do the regional ones but I don't usually fly that route. Will be DM this year for the first time so I'm aiming for the Global upgrade certs
Old May 1, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: DL PM
So far, GUCs + gifting Gold to my SO.

She's already gotten significant value out of it when flying solo (free SDC, a few UGs, free checked bags, priority standby, etc), and would otherwise not make status on her own (though she may make SM at this rate for next year!).

I took RUCs as my PM this year.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bowgie
We all agree the GUC's are a gimme for the first choice.
No, we don't.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I've never chosen GUCs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.