Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending a Bump Voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Extending a Bump Voucher?

I have a $400 VDB voucher that expires in a month or two, and I'm not sure I'll be able to use it before the expiration date. Has anyone had experience (successful or not) with trying to extend something like this, or have it reissued? Is it worth the time to call customer service and ask?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM
Delta is not good at "what if's". It will likely be a problem to get it extended, no matter what. But if you could come up with an itinerary in the future that you could present to them, you might have better luck. They will probably say it is a one time thing and if you cancel or change the itinerary, the voucher will not be extendable again.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: DL, CO, UA, HH
You don't have to have your travel completed by the expiration date, but you do have to have a flight booked by the expiration date. Just went through this a couple weeks ago. Date of expiration I booked a trip in May and one in August.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As others note, best to propose what you want rather than ask for open-ended extensions.

Don't forget that one of the major reasons that carriers, including DL, offer vouchers rather than cash is that a substantial % of vouchers are never used. In effect, DL is counting on 30-35% of the vouchers going down the drain.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If you haven't spent $400 on Delta in the last year, and don't have any plans to spend it in the next 11 months, I can understand Delta not much caring about you, either. On the other hand, if you spent $10,000 on Delta and just forgot about that voucher (or your employer spent it for your flights), they're more likely to be nice about it.

Last edited by sethb; Mar 27, 2016 at 10:20 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slappy
You don't have to have your travel completed by the expiration date, but you do have to have a flight booked by the expiration date. Just went through this a couple weeks ago. Date of expiration I booked a trip in May and one in August.
I wonder if the OP could book some random, fully refundable flight for a particular future date using the voucher and then once their travel plans firm up, just change the reservation?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jalves
I wonder if the OP could book some random, fully refundable flight for a particular future date using the voucher and then once their travel plans firm up, just change the reservation?
Once the new reservation is issued their will be a one year expiration from date of issue of the actual tickets. Unlike the voucher expiration, this expiration date follows through to all subsiquent tickets.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:28 pm

Related question to Bump Vouchers

As a related question to bump vouchers, can anyone confirm that I will still get miles/MQM's, Medallion benefits, etc., by using an Electronic Credit Voucher (bump voucher) to book my own travel? I have one that later this year I will be choiceful what flights I use it for otherwise.

I have read the T&C's on the coupon packet but I do not see anything indicating any restrictions...but I just want to be sure. Thanks for any assistance.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Klarity7
As a related question to bump vouchers, can anyone confirm that I will still get miles/MQM's, Medallion benefits, etc., by using an Electronic Credit Voucher (bump voucher) to book my own travel? I have one that later this year I will be choiceful what flights I use it for otherwise.

I have read the T&C's on the coupon packet but I do not see anything indicating any restrictions...but I just want to be sure. Thanks for any assistance.
You will earn MQMs, but I'm not sure about MQDs.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
You will earn MQMs, but I'm not sure about MQDs.
perfect...that is my primary concern. Thanks
Old May 1, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Once the new reservation is issued their will be a one year expiration from date of issue of the actual tickets. Unlike the voucher expiration, this expiration date follows through to all subsiquent tickets.
What happens if you cancel the (refundable) ticket? (Not suggesting you do that, just curious).
Old May 1, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Klarity7

It's just "cash" so it doesn't effect what you get from the ticket. I used the rest of my expiring credit last month and in my wallet I have one receipt showing the credit against my ticket, but I have a 2nd receipt which just shows the total amount for my wife and I without showing that part of it came from the voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.