Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
I agree, and would use the button hole, except that I rarely wear shirts that have buttons
Same here. I like to be comfortable when I fly which usually means shorts & t-shirts.

I never knew what that hole was for before now.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I did get the offer to pre-select a Japanese meal
on ATL-NRT in Delta One on April 29. I did not take them up on the offer, though, and simply selected my preferred meal onboard.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
I did get the offer to pre-select a Japanese meal
on ATL-NRT in Delta One on April 29. I did not take them up on the offer, though, and simply selected my preferred meal onboard.
Thr Japanese meal is a special meal and thus has been selectable for years like any other special meal.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I've also been told by several FAs that it is the proper service procedure. Several times recently an FA has said something to the effect of "and since this is an even-numbered flight I will be taking orders from the front to the back..." so maybe there's been an effort to make it more consistent.
I heard that type of announcement on an odd-numbered flight a year or two ago, FWIW.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Same here. I like to be comfortable when I fly which usually means shorts & t-shirts.

I never knew what that hole was for before now.
Do folks who travel in shorts and t-shirt know how to use napkins?

Sorry... just kidding. I was channeling some of the other FT folks who post here complaining about the ambience in FC.

FT does not permit commercial offerings, but I could suggest a business opportunity for a t-shirt-to-button-hole conversion kit involving a re-purposed paper clip.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Sigh. Do we get to see your toes in flip flops as well?
Old May 25, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Please report back on what compensation you get for this. If you have not been contacted, you should contact Delta. I think it is especially problematic to not at least announce the issue at the gate before pax board so that people who would prefer to try to switch have a chance to do so. They also should have had compensation worked out there and then, before boarding. This would have helped ease frustration.

I do not understand why they could not serve the D1 meals, unless perhaps there was an issue with oven space. I can think of reason at all to not stock the D1 drink cart.

I am responding a very long time after the fact because while I thought I had not gotten anything it turns out the Pilot was correct when he said they were working on compensation for everyone. I never followed up with Delta because a lot of time had passed. I didn't realize I had been given a $1K credit (which fortunately I just happened to notice on a rare look at the My Delta summary page and noticed it said I had a credit). So all in all Delta did realize it had failed and did follow through for compensation and I have to give them props for that.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
So....

Now that this "test" has ended (almost a month by now) has there been any update with rolling out this program? (or is that too much to ask?)

Also, does Delta allow for meals to be selected and taken in the SkyClub ahead of flight? (JFK specifically if that makes a difference).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mbowden19
So....

Now that this "test" has ended (almost a month by now) has there been any update with rolling out this program? (or is that too much to ask?)

Also, does Delta allow for meals to be selected and taken in the SkyClub ahead of flight? (JFK specifically if that makes a difference).
Only AF at JFK does this. DL improved the food selection at most SkyClubs including JFK, but do not offer a pre-departure dinner service like AA, BA or AF do at their respective lounges.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
so, does Delta allow for meals to be selected and taken in the SkyClub ahead of flight? (JFK specifically if that makes a difference).
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Only AF at JFK does this. DL improved the food selection at most SkyClubs including JFK, but do not offer a pre-departure dinner service like AA, BA or AF do at their respective lounges.
Last year there was a trial where business-class passengers in ATL and JFK (maybe elsewhere, too) could order off a menu in the Sky Club. It didn't last long. While the menu offerings were different than the buffet the quality and service just wasn't there. This followed the paid menu offerings that JFK's Sky Club had for a year or so.

Personally, when flying business-class to Europe from the East Coast, I'd rather just get a meal voucher for say $70, which should be enough for dinner and two glasses of wine, at any airport restaurant upon check-in. Flights to say Manchester aren't long enough from New York to allow for adequate sleeping and consumption of dinner and breakfast. I flew HNL-SEA the other day. It took an hour for the meal and drinks (an enhanced "snack" of a burger or chicken salad -- the salad was good) to be served. The flight is only 5 hours and change. The lights were turned on and coffee service started 50 minutes out from landing. That left, at most, 3 hours to sleep.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Last year there was a trial where business-class passengers in ATL and JFK (maybe elsewhere, too) could order off a menu in the Sky Club. It didn't last long. While the menu offerings were different than the buffet the quality and service just wasn't there. This followed the paid menu offerings that JFK's Sky Club had for a year or so.

Personally, when flying business-class to Europe from the East Coast, I'd rather just get a meal voucher for say $70, which should be enough for dinner and two glasses of wine, at any airport restaurant upon check-in. Flights to say Manchester aren't long enough from New York to allow for adequate sleeping and consumption of dinner and breakfast. I flew HNL-SEA the other day. It took an hour for the meal and drinks (an enhanced "snack" of a burger or chicken salad -- the salad was good) to be served. The flight is only 5 hours and change. The lights were turned on and coffee service started 50 minutes out from landing. That left, at most, 3 hours to sleep.
TATL J customers are paying for the seat, not the food. I'm surprised that high dollar customers haven't pushed for a change like this.

For JFK/BOS-EU flights, I'd be Ok with all meals being dine and rest, and only available upon request. Passengers could choose to opt out of their onboard meal in favor of a voucher for use in the airport.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jun 19, 2017 at 10:53 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I don't think you would be pleased with the dollar amount you would be offered for a voucher were DL to go that route. US airlines spend very little per passenger on food. Even in Business Class. I suspect the voucher amount would be closer to $20-30 in business (and that is most likely an overly generous 'guess-timate').

I couldn't find the current numbers--but here are the ones from 2014.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I don't think you would be pleased with the dollar amount you would be offered for a voucher were DL to go that route. US airlines spend very little per passenger on food. Even in Business Class. I suspect the voucher amount would be closer to $20-30 in business (and that is most likely an overly generous 'guess-timate').

I couldn't find the current numbers--but here are the ones from 2014.
I'm perfectly fine using a voucher to order a side salad with balsamic dressing and a grilled chicken breast (from the ala carte menu) at McDonald's, as long as there's enough left in the voucher's value to also buy two or three glasses of wine. The quality of the McDonald's food is probably higher. Delta's caters just plate the food better, at least in the forward-cabin.

My guess is the average business-class passenger has three glasses of wine in-flight. Some obviously drink more, others drink far less or none.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

Personally, when flying business-class to Europe from the East Coast, I'd rather just get a meal voucher for say $70, which should be enough for dinner and two glasses of wine, at any airport restaurant upon check-in.
Delta could serve you dinner in a private dinning room for much less than this so this is never going to happen, and I also don't personally think the private dinning pre-order will happen either. DL offers decent food in the Sky Clubs and meals on board, and I would not hold my breath for something better.

The quality of the McDonald's food is probably higher. Delta's caters just plate the food better, at least in the forward-cabin.
You have got to be kidding. I'm not saying DL is amazing, but you are comparing one of the most highly processed food products available to what DL serves on board in their premium cabins. In your salad example McDonalds is (well, have not eaten there in years, so there's my disclaimer) a pile of iceberg lettuce and processed chicken product reshaped into a breast. In D1 Delta serves real pieces of meat with cooked veggies, fresh salads with a variety of lettuces, etc.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Jun 20, 2017 at 7:41 am
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:32 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
So....

FWIW, if flying JFK-LHR on Delta you can use the Virgin Clubhouse which does offer a pre-flight dining service that is arguably better than what BA and AF offer. I wish Delta would find a way to expand this to other D1 passengers, but presumably it costs too much and it would certainly require a much larger Virgin lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.