Upgrade to Gold on Delta

Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Upgrade to Gold on Delta

Maybe I'm thick but Im not understanding the whole Upgrade to Gold and onwards status. I earned Silver status in 2015 on Delta. I fly every week for work and in 2016 I started the year as silver but obviously no MQM's/MQS or spend. My Delta account is now telling me my next upgrade is to Silver. If I read it correct, even though I was Silver on Jan 1 2016, I now need to do 60 segments or 50,000 miles and spend $6k to hit gold. I was under the impression that my first 30 segments and 3k spend was half way to the Gold and a further 30 segments and 3k spend would get me to gold.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
On January 1st of each year, your MQMs, MQSs, and MQDs reset to zero. Your status earned last year is good until January 31st of next year but to continue as Silver or to advance to Gold in 2017, you'll need to earn the miles or segments, and the dollars again this year.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks DL....Im only .....ing about it as Im 6'4" and just started with Delta and their incredibly small seats!!!!!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aikon66
Thanks DL....Im only .....ing about it as Im 6'4" and just started with Delta and their incredibly small seats!!!!!
All economy seats are like that, on every airline. I'm 6'3" and definitely know the struggle. When I didn't have status, I usually purchased first class. Now, I usually get upgraded, but will pay if it means staying out of Y on flights longer than about 4 hours.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:46 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Im only .....ing about it as Im 6'4" and just started with Delta and their incredibly small seats!!!!!
Originally Posted by WWads
I'm 6'3" and definitely know the struggle.
Blame yer tall parents - not the airlines!

BTW, Welcome to FlyerTalk Delta forum!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: delta dm
Yet on other threads people tell me they are 6'4 and economy comfort is something they would pay hundreds of extra dollars for 4 inches of legroom because it makes such a big difference ....lol
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I earned Silver status in 2015 on Delta. I fly every week for work
Welcome to FT ^
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Assuming you just started traveling heavy in 2015, and will be doing it all year if you really are flying every week it won't take long to hit gold.

Let's say you take a few weeks off, but fly a RT 48 weeks of the year. If you lived in ATL and never had to connect you would be at 96 segments for the year, if you live somewhere else and connect you will be racking up segments very quickly. so you probably won't be silver for long.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Try having 60 inch shoulders. There is no Y seat that works for that!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by yohanson
Try having 60 inch shoulders. There is no Y seat that works for that!
60" shoulders? You mean you're five feet across?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM
Maybe I'm thick but Im not understanding the whole Upgrade to Gold and onwards status. I earned Silver status in 2015 on Delta. I fly every week for work and in 2016 I started the year as silver but obviously no MQM's/MQS or spend. My Delta account is now telling me my next upgrade is to Silver. If I read it correct, even though I was Silver on Jan 1 2016, I now need to do 60 segments or 50,000 miles and spend $6k to hit gold. I was under the impression that my first 30 segments and 3k spend was half way to the Gold and a further 30 segments and 3k spend would get me to gold.
Did you qualify on MQM or MQS (Medallion Qualifying Miles/Segments)? If you qualified on miles, a Delta Reserve AmEx may be worth a good look. Signup bonus should give a decent start on your MQM accumulation while the lounge access is a nice perk if you're in airports every week. Plus, if you book your own flights and get reimbursed, the mileage bonus is also a nice benefit.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
60" shoulders? You mean you're five feet across?
That's the circumference. 5' is into pro athlete size.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
That's the circumference. 5' is into pro athlete size.
Every time I get on an airplane I'm thankful for being 5'6" and on the lean side.

But, I'm guessing, not as thankful as the person in the adjacent seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.