Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can the cardholder use the companion ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the cardholder can use the Delta Skymiles companion ticket for his/her own ticket. My husband and I were both cardholders, and each used our companion tickets for the other in our travels. However, he passed away last year. I will still need to fly but...will be flying alone. It would be a tremendous waste if I have a free ticket each year that cannot be used. Any insight from anyone?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The Companion Certificate is transferable and can be used by anyone.

It's only for 2 people travelling together on the same PNR. So, if you're thinking that you can use it only for yourself, for 2 independent trips, the answer is no.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrphahn
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the cardholder can use the Delta Skymiles companion ticket for his/her own ticket. My husband and I were both cardholders, and each used our companion tickets for the other in our travels. However, he passed away last year. I will still need to fly but...will be flying alone. It would be a tremendous waste if I have a free ticket each year that cannot be used. Any insight from anyone?
Of course you can. However you still have to have someone fly the purchased ticket. This isn't a B1G1F promo, it's a free companion ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Of course you can. However you still have to have someone fly the purchased ticket. This isn't a B1G1F promo, it's a free companion ticket.
Sorry, you did not answer the question.

The OP wants to use the FREE portion only. And of course, this deal is you get one free "companion" after you guy a ticket in an approved bucket - usually not the cheapest ticket available.

And, in my mind (weak as it is), this much close to a B1G1F deal and is a long way from a "free ticket".
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Sure you can use the companion ticket for yourself if you want an extra seat. I run into a similar situation with mine each year, if you don't have a reason to bring along a companion, at least you can get a little extra space.

There have been a couple of threads about using it for an extra seat:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...n-voucher.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...xtra-seat.html

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...ompanion-cert/
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sorry, you did not answer the question.

The OP wants to use the FREE portion only. And of course, this deal is you get one free "companion" after you guy a ticket in an approved bucket - usually not the cheapest ticket available.

And, in my mind (weak as it is), this much close to a B1G1F deal and is a long way from a "free ticket".
First off I answer the question (Yes they can use the pass) and in case the OP was asking a skightly different question point out that you can't use it for two different flights. It's why I posted the B1G1F comment.
A B1G1F would mean buying a ticket, getting a ticket. One person gets two tickets in that case.

A companion pass though just allows someone else to fly with you on the same trip.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
As somebody who generally either travels for work or as a single on my dime, I have got some value out of my passes.

One time I had a friend flying with me who I was able to use the cert on.

One time I used it for an additional seat. As an average 6-1 male, an extra seat really does make the flight nicer. Am flying tomorrow with the same extra seat setup for this years expiring pass.

So have got some value out of my last 3 passes, but nowhere close to "full" value. At least they were all on transcons and not up-and-downs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.