Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hartsfield tells TSA to shape up - or be replaced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,

From the AJC (Atlanta paper). Also on ABC World News Tonight.

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/...zing-security/
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lov2fly
From the AJC (Atlanta paper). Also on ABC World News Tonight.

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/...zing-security/
If only this could happen at every airport.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
If only this could happen at every airport.
^ We have allowed the TSA too much power. That government organization has been a failure since inception. They have something like a 95% failure rate on identifying dangerous items in luggage? But they insist on seeing our naked bodies and taking away our toothpaste. The madness needs to end.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
^ We have allowed the TSA too much power. That government organization has been a failure since inception. They have something like a 95% failure rate on identifying dangerous items in luggage? But they insist on seeing our naked bodies and taking away our toothpaste. The madness needs to end.
The TSA hasn't been a total failure in the sense that their unstated but primary purpose is to make American's feel secure. It's the DHS, CIA, NCTC, NSA, and a number of other agencies really keeping us safe.

That being said, I'm very much in favor of privatizing transportation security again (as it was before 9/11), with the TSA only operating as an advisory organization for those companies carrying out security operations.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:39 pm

Flew out of there Tuesday afternoon...long, long lines and only two lanes open. Took close to an hour to get through security.

“I believe that the traveling public is willing to accept that there may be a slightly longer wait to ensure that they’re secure getting on the plane,” Neffenger said last year.

Said by someone who likely doesn't have to wait in TSA security lines.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:31 pm

It's great to hear that this is an issue being taken seriously by Hartsfield-Jackson... Considering the level of efficiency with which ATL operates in most regards compared to its peers, the TSA screening situation really stands out as a glaring problem. It seems to have gotten significantly worse over the past 3-4 years, as I used to be able to count on getting through security at ATL quicker than pretty much anywhere else. Usually SkyPriority isn't too bad, but it's frustrating to see the masses standing there in an endless line as over half of the lanes are closed.

I really do hope that airport management decides to go ahead with eliminating the TSA. I've traveled through SRQ and EYW, and was impressed to see the completely different level of professionalism and service offered by the private screening companies that both of these airports use. Granted, they're much smaller operations than somewhere like ATL, but it's proof that the screening process can be a much more civil and customer-oriented experience than the typical TSA drone that generally has no manners and just stands there barking out orders. Most importantly, this would hopefully allow a level of control over staffing to prevent these excessive wait times that have become a serious issue over the past few years.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They better stepped up their times!!! No more waiting for 10 minutes at security or they will be out. This is final warning. There will be no more TSA.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I'm no TSA supporter but I'm trying to figure out what they might do... it seems to me that the only thing they can attempt is “some transformational technology” and exactly what might that be? Every time I go through security there (5-6 times / year) it is beyond jammed up with people and every TSA lane seems to be open (I almost always go through in the earlier morning, 6am-8am). The problem appears (to me anyways) to be that there are simply too many passengers and not enough physical room to accommodate them. If someone can demonstrate that TSA at ATL is somehow less efficient than elsewhere then I can "buy" that but I think the number of pax exceeds the physical capacity of the current area.

With passenger growth at 14% I'm struggling to see how things can get better without some serious re-configuration / expansion of the security areas there.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Pay your $85.00 and move on...
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Though it has its detractors, I find the contract Team SFO "TSA" personnel to be far more professional and better-mannered than the abominably rude staff that TSA usually scrapes off of the sidewalk.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:57 am

I didn't know this would be allowed.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by rob0225
“I believe that the traveling public is willing to accept that there may be a slightly longer wait to ensure that they’re secure getting on the plane,” Neffenger said last year.

Said by someone who likely doesn't have to wait in TSA security lines.
^100.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Sabai
Though it has its detractors, I find the contract Team SFO "TSA" personnel to be far more professional and better-mannered than the abominably rude staff that TSA usually scrapes off of the sidewalk.
If the article is to be believed, SFO is privatized. That may be what you are saying - that the privatized security is better - but I'm not sure.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Bring it. Security at ATL is a complete cluster.... Based on my experience there.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
I really do hope that airport management decides to go ahead with eliminating the TSA. I've traveled through SRQ and EYW, and was impressed to see the completely different level of professionalism and service offered by the private screening companies that both of these airports use. Granted, they're much smaller operations than somewhere like ATL, but it's proof that the screening process can be a much more civil and customer-oriented experience than the typical TSA drone that generally has no manners and just stands there barking out orders. Most importantly, this would hopefully allow a level of control over staffing to prevent these excessive wait times that have become a serious issue over the past few years.
It can go either way. SFO has private screeners, and they are worse than many TSA screeners. Still, the worst of screeners are definitely TSA, and are found in airports like DEN and BOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.