Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA Checkpoint Changes at MSP T1 Beginning 2/16/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Checkpoint Changes at MSP T1 Beginning 2/16/16

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I was not happy about this news when it first surfaced, but it seems like it may work out better than I had first feared.

A big part of it needs to be getting the info monitors going with wait times. I fly MSP-DEN a lot, and have loathed DEN. For one thing, that station shows me how well run MSP's TSA is, and how much nicer our agents are than what is expected/accepted elsewhere (Average Coloradans are, IMO, nice people, so I think the issue is that their TSA folks are managed towards grumpiness/surliness, unlike my experience of MSPs agents).

Since DEN opened the A bridge, and installed several monitors showing more-or-less real-time wait times for the three choices, my experience is that DEN is flowing a lot better. Travelers can make an informed decision and distribute themselves sensibly.

Now, will our Checkpoint 10 be on the monitors? I worry that it will eventually close, it seems unknown to so many travelers and they did cut back afternoon hours awhile ago.

Oh, and thanks to CarmenOM for the detailed info!!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:10 am

Thank you CarmenOM for the nice summary.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
I typically fly out of T1 on Sunday evenings, and I'll definitely be monitoring this thread in the coming days to see how the changes are coming along this week. Thanks for the info, everyone!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Exclamation Expect long lines this week

Local TV stations are reporting TSA security waits of well over a half hour this morning, which is Tuesday so that travel should be fairly light although we are getting into the beginning of the spring break period and lots of kettle families doing their one trip per year.

Apparently only two or three lines are open in the new North TSA security area. This probably means that one or both of PreCheck and SkyPriority aren't operating. In addition, it sounds like the South area isn't yet set up or operating.

The goal of all this is supposed to be to reduce the average wait from 15 minutes to 12 minutes. However, I rarely wait even ten minutes and I can remember only twice where my wait was significantly over 15 minutes.

Thanks very much for taking a system that once again was working well with the new PreCheck area exclusively for SkyPriority and totally messing it up once again!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
The tweets from travelers look bad. On the plus side, the MAC meets today, so all those board members and meeting attendees will get to see first-hand this mess. Maybe it will lead them to do something.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
...On the plus side, the MAC meets today, so all those board members and meeting attendees will get to see first-hand this mess. Maybe it will lead them to do something.
Knowing the MAC, they'll figure out a way to monetize it.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They spent $17,000,000 on this mess.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:24 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Let's give it a chance before always b!tching and being the normally negative FT

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The goal of all this is supposed to be to reduce the average wait from 15 minutes to 12 minutes. However, I rarely wait even ten minutes and I can remember only twice where my wait was significantly over 15 minutes.
But you must remember that you are not "average" with status and Sky Priority. Average "kettles" as they are called spend probably double or more what you do.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K
They are re-configuring the entire lobby at MSP. Looks like this is finally moving forward.

http://mspairport.com/docs/about-msp...ate-Final.aspx
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by kenn0223
My guess is that the DL counters will be rearranged so that the counters closest to South checkpoint will have a dedicated SkyPriority chute into the elite lane and all other airlines' elite customers will need to use the north checkpoint.
I sure hope not, since I'm just as likely to be departing from A, B, C or D as I am from F or G.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:22 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Checkpoint 4 has changed so many times the last couple years, I can remember at least 4 different setups of Precheck/Sky Priority access from the north and south side of checkpoint 4 (the north side being the Sky Priority check in desks).

It was actually really nice for me when Precheck was on the one side and sky priority was on the other with 1 lane for itself. I'd often get through faster than the precheck lane. Then most recently (maybe only a few months ago) they changed that whole checkpoint to precheck only.

So much change and I'm sure lots of $$$ being spent on each one.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by runninaway
I sure hope not, since I'm just as likely to be departing from A, B, C or D as I am from F or G.
My experience this morning:

Sky Priority for checking in bags was still appeared to be by door 4, while I was under the impressions that 100% of all people had to go through security on the north side by door 1. (I didn't check a bag this morning.) The Sky Priority line / Open to other airlines flying first or elite status, when I went through looked shorter than TSA pre, and did not allow me to use both. Took me 25 minutes to get through a little after 7am this morning. I'm not a fan so far of what I have seen. Supposedly they will have 10 lanes open when they are busy, but they had 3 lanes open today plus TSA pre, and the sky priority just dumped me into the security area with people that don't fly enough to be even remotely efficient in the process. Nothing like watching multiple people get sent back because they left their phone in their pocket or coins, or didn't have their liquids out in a plastic bag. Those folks easily added more than 5 minutes to my experience this morning, thus resulting in me missing my bagel and coffee in the Sky Club. I maybe could have used the one by Door 6, but I was going out on concourse C this morning, and wasn't sure if that one was open. I came in door 4, saw the security line was closed, and made my way to the new checkpoint.

I knew this was coming, I just didn't realize it was going to start today.

Last edited by mspreh; Feb 16, 2016 at 2:30 pm Reason: Edited to include the elite and first class fliers from other airlines
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
MAC is asking questions of the TSA. They seem tuned in. But they promise it will be better.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
MAC is asking questions of the TSA. They seem tuned in. But they promise it will be better.
The next time the TSA tells the truth will be the first.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the heads up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.