Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous SkyMiles Transfer Fee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ridiculous SkyMiles Transfer Fee

Looking to transfer SkyMiles from one account to another. I get that all airlines charge money for this, and am willing to pay for it, but what is with the ridiculous $30 per transaction "Processing Fee"? Is there any way out of paying this ridiculous charge, or do I just have to suck it up and pay it?

Any reason why it exists other than to make more money?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
No way around the fee. It's better than the "olden days" when you couldn't transfer miles at all. This give you the opportunity to make use of the miles when necessary.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
No way around the fee. It's better than the "olden days" when you couldn't transfer miles at all. This give you the opportunity to make use of the miles when necessary.
That's what I figured, just don't get why there is a "processing fee" when it is all electronic and there is no paperwork involved, unlike the "olden days".
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by airplanegod
That's what I figured, just don't get why there is a "processing fee" when it is all electronic and there is no paperwork involved, unlike the "olden days".
Just kind of like the change fees for tickets. It's easy money, and all goes right to the bottom line.

David
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ☆A Gold, Hertz 5☆
I think the fee exists only as a deterrent to prevent people from somehow taking advantage of being able to shuttle around miles.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Just kind of like the change fees for tickets. It's easy money, and all goes right to the bottom line.

David
Those make sense. It prevents seats from Goin out empty. If no fee people wouldn't be concerned about changing flights. Thus causing lost revenue with a seat going out empty that could have been sold.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
$30 processing fee was not even a concern when I looked at xferring 100,000 points to my parents so they could go to Hawaii in FC anytime in the future.

.01 per mile is what killed that deal: $1000 per ... + the $120 in xaction fees (four times because of limit). So $1120 to give each parent miles.

With that, I realized to never xfer miles - just book it for them!
SuperG1955 and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by BHammy
^ plus since the miles come out of your account, the waived redeposit (effectively free change) for PM/DM award tickets applies.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: None
Thumbs down Delta Skymiles Are Ridiculous!!!

Transferring Delta Skymiles:

10,000 skymiles will save you $100 off of your next flight. BUT as it relates to transferring 10,000 skymiles to a single family member, their is a transaction rate of: $0.01 per mile. So to transfer 10,000 skymiles at $0.01 per mile, that's $100, plus a one-time processing fee of $30 for a total of $130. It seems very strange and unfair.

Let's say if I wanted to transfer 30,000 skymiles, that transfer would cost me $330 (rate+fee). They might as well REMOVE the transfer of miles option from their website. It seems to be a bad option/feature. It doesn't make sense.

Happy travels everyone!!

Last edited by kanewahinekapu; Mar 30, 2019 at 5:04 pm Reason: adding salutations
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kanewahinekapu
Transferring Delta Skymiles:

10,000 skymiles will save you $100 off of your next flight. BUT as it relates to transferring 10,000 skymiles to a single family member, their is a transaction rate of: $0.01 per mile. So to transfer 10,000 skymiles at $0.01 per mile, that's $100, plus a one-time processing fee of $30 for a total of $130. It seems very strange and unfair.

Let's say if I wanted to transfer 30,000 skymiles, that transfer would cost me $330 (rate+fee). They might as well REMOVE the transfer of miles option from their website. It seems to be a bad option/feature. It doesn't make sense.

Happy travels everyone!!
It still makes sense to have because not everyone is redeeming their miles only via Pay With Miles. There are still regular redemptions for which transferring miles between accounts is still cheaper/better than buying miles to get a redemption or just not being able to redeem at the time due to either account not having enough miles without buying/transferring.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanewahinekapu
..........They might as well REMOVE the transfer of miles option from their website. It seems to be a bad option/feature. It doesn't make sense.

Happy travels everyone!!
If a feature doesn't work for you, don't use it. It works for some in difference circumstances.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:03 am

I have used it many times to top up my account with family members who are infrequent travelers with no DL credit card who effectively have “dead” or very low balance accounts (less than 5,000 miles) that will never be redeemed. Well worth it for me as buying top up miles are 3.5 cents each.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Mar 31, 2019 at 4:29 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by BHammy
$30 processing fee was not even a concern when I looked at xferring 100,000 points to my parents so they could go to Hawaii in FC anytime in the future.

.01 per mile is what killed that deal: $1000 per ... + the $120 in xaction fees (four times because of limit). So $1120 to give each parent miles.

Of course if the source account can book the ticket, then that is the way to go. The reason for transferring is to gather miles from accounts that are to small to book a ticket.

The transfer should really be looked at as buying "dead" miles and the cost is 1c/m +$30. My limit on buying is 1c/m. So I would never do this.

OTOH, I could see somebody who is ready to say by-by to DL doing this in order to gather miles together for one last trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.