Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Smoking Cigarette onboard DL1678 (MSP-LAX) - 27 Dec 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking Cigarette onboard DL1678 (MSP-LAX) - 27 Dec 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by andydrix
This is a first for me in 500+ flights. About half way to LAX the intoxicated guy sitting next to me (3C) heads to the bathroom. He returns to his seat and I (3D) get a heavy waft of Pall Malls.
How did you know it was Pall Malls?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:19 pm

Red face

Darn, I missed the clearly identifiable individual. Who was it? Lee Marvin?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:05 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
No, that's not possible. Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying a restroom smoke detector.

Also, there are 10 exits on a Boeing 757-200. Six doors - three on each side - and four window exits over the wings.
Unless it's a 75S which has eight doors, four on each side.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not sure of the lavatory smoke system on that specific aircraft, but on the CRJ200 that I'm an FO on (yes, it's the 200...) there is an automatic halon fire extinguishing system in the waste bin that activates if it triggered by heat. We also get a "smoke toilet" warning in the cockpit, but we have nothing we can do except land and/or send the FA to investigate.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:42 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
I don't think the primary purpose of the smoke detector in there is to catch pax with a cigarette... its to detect an actual that could be smoldering/starting in the trash.
Cover the smoke detector with Saran Wrap and it is 'disabled'.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
I was on a flight two years ago where a group of passengers smoked in the rear bathroom. It was on JFK-LHR, on an AA 77W. These people were welcomed to the UK by the police who came on board to pick them up.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by TObject
Darn, I missed the clearly identifiable individual. Who was it? Lee Marvin?
It definitely wasn't Lee Marvin.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The FAs were probably looking for a smoldering cigarette rather than evidence in the lavatory.
My friend's daughter was a FA and recalled a time she had a smoker on board. He was inside and they were knocking on the door saying.."we're not angry with you we just want to know where you put the butt".
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: DL-PM
Had a guy sitting next to me go smoke in the bathroom a number of years back. He got back to the seat and smelled like a fresh Marlboro... It was on a mem-dsm flight if I recall correctly . I'm not sure whatever happened to him, but he was among the first to deplane and I didn't see him upon deplaning although I had a horrendous hangover and had to hightail it to the nearest restroom in DSM for a reversal of fortune.

Ironically enough Amtrak isn't too fond of smokers either. Back in 08 on a train from Portland to Eugene a guy stuck his head out the window and smoked on a delay in route and they handcuffed him to his seat and kicked him off in Eugene. I heard him yelling that his final destination was San Fransisco so he was more than a bit unlucky.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
They should have had police meet him on arrival... even if charges were pressed.

Jerk.

(maybe staff did not want to waste time filling out paperwork)
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
They should have had police meet him on arrival... even if charges were pressed.

Jerk.

(maybe staff did not want to waste time filling out paperwork)
Perhaps the next flights on time departure stat was more important to Delta!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:05 am

I'm a non-smoker but do believe smokers have been villianized a little too much. For example - I dont believe in a smoking ban in bars/restaurants, let the owners decide how they want to run their business and the customers decide if they want to patronize an establishment that allows smoking.

What I dont agree with, is allowing smoking in parks, beaches or on city streets. I can choose to avoid cigarettes by staying away from restaurants that allow smoking. I can't avoid cigarettes when stuck walking behind someone holding a cigarette.

I believe e-cigs dont have any second hand smoke issues and are only banned because the anti-smoking crowd are overstepping their boundaries.

I also think the offending passenger is a d!ck and its a shame the FA's opted to let this passenger slide vs making it an issue and trying to fine the offending individual. Though I guess if he was that drunk that he felt it okay to smoke in the lav and then passed out for the remainder of the flight, they probably were worried for their own safety and figured rather let the guy sleep then risk a confrontation.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Not sure of the lavatory smoke system on that specific aircraft, but on the CRJ200 that I'm an FO on (yes, it's the 200...) there is an automatic halon fire extinguishing system in the waste bin that activates if it triggered by heat. We also get a "smoke toilet" warning in the cockpit, but we have nothing we can do except land and/or send the FA to investigate.
All commercial aircraft are required to have this fire extinguishing system installed in lavatory trash receptacles.

Mr. Elliott
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by injera
Though I guess if he was that drunk that he felt it okay to smoke in the lav and then passed out for the remainder of the flight, they probably were worried for their own safety and figured rather let the guy sleep then risk a confrontation.
I've never experienced a passenger attempting a smokey-joe in flight, but have seen my fair share of passengers who were totally wasted. I'd be curious to know if the guy was hammered when he boarded and then continued in-flight. The best FAs are the ones who say, let me get some water before I get you a triple brandy or whatever. By that time, the drunko has usually passed out. These issues almost always start on the ground. I know some people can 'hide' their inebriation better than others, but you can usually smell it. I guess that's one of the down-sides of having only one agent at the boarding door.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:23 am

May be he is wearing a designer cologne which smells like cigarette.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.