Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smelly MD-90

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Smelly MD-90

Last week I flew ATL-DCA on Delta, MD-90, tail number N963DN. Approaching the aircraft door I noticed what smelled like stale cigarette smoke. I was thinking either it was another passenger nearby or that maybe the aircraft was an ex-Saudia bird, since smoking policies (or enforcement) might be more liberal with its previous owner. When I got settled into my seat (4B), I started noticing other smells that I thought were emanating from a nearby passenger. After landing, I was talking with my wife, who was seated several rows back. We both agreed that the plane smelled like a cross between a yeast infection (using my imagination) and a petting zoo. When I got home, I looked up the tail number to see that this 1999 vintage aircraft flew with China Northern and then China Southern.

Crews have got to notice this type of thing. You'd think DL TechOps could have deodorant bombed the plane during its initial refurbishment.

I thought about writing Delta, but I figured they wouldn't take me seriously and figure me as someone inventing something to troll for miles as a goodwill gesture.

Has anyone else flown on any smelly DL planes? Seems like you'd be higher risk on the MD-90s since a lot of these planes have long histories with Chinese carriers and Saudia.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No ex-Saudia MD-90s are in service at Delta.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No ex-Saudia MD-90s are in service at Delta.
If there were some, wouldn't they also smell from camels or at least falcons?

By this reasoning, aircraft purchased used from SQ might smell moldy/musty, just like some of the jetways at SIN stink from mildew.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm surprised nobody has yet pointed out you were in 4B and your wife was behind the curtain.

(Nothing wrong with that IMO - Mrs. Lee and I have done the same a few times before.)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'm surprised nobody has yet pointed out you were in 4B and your wife was behind the curtain.

(Nothing wrong with that IMO - Mrs. Lee and I have done the same a few times before.)
So maybe the wife brought something stinky on board to relatiate. She agreed with your description of the smell to deflect blame. Did the smell affect the OP's enjoyment of the F&B offered on board in FC?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've been on almost half the MD-90s, including N963DN twice, and have never noticed a smell. So I highly doubt it's something "left over" from China Southern.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I've been on almost half the MD-90s, including N963DN twice, and have never noticed a smell. So I highly doubt it's something "left over" from China Southern.
Wow... You track your flights down to the actual plane...!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I've also flown on an ex-China MD90 with a tail near the one the OP posted. As well as several other MD90s that came from SAS/Blue1, JAL... and I never noticed any unusual smells. Must be a passenger and/or something brought onboard.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by N639DL
I've also flown on an ex-China MD90 with a tail near the one the OP posted. As well as several other MD90s that came from SAS/Blue1, JAL... and I never noticed any unusual smells. Must be a passenger and/or something brought onboard.
I still think the OP's wife is responsible for creating the stench because she was annoyed about sitting in coach while the OP was in FC.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Every plane smells the same to me: old, stale coffee smell. I've never smelled anything bad onboard that wasn't a passenger.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:55 am

i would be SHOCKED if that plane carried over any odors through refurb. i'd suspect it was an odor of a more recent vintage.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by WWads
Every plane smells the same to me: old, stale coffee smell. I've never smelled anything bad onboard that wasn't a passenger.
You've never experienced that new aircraft smell, sort of like a new car but better?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've been LOLing so hard because of this thread!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You've never experienced that new aircraft smell, sort of like a new car but better?
Unfortunately not. I flew on one of the next-gen CRJ-900s when they first came out, but it didn't smell any different. The routes I fly on mostly see older planes.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:38 pm

My first whiff of a new 737-900 made me decide to like them, at least in FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.