A Review: DL vs. Emirates (A380) in J

Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question A Review: DL vs. Emirates (A380) in J

For some reason, I feel like the author of this article may have been overly generous to DL in her comparison between DL J and EK J -- at least on the A380. Then again, this might be like comparing apples to oranges.

Thoughts?

http://www.businessinsider.com/i-fle...n-delta-2016-2

(Full disclaimer: I've never flown aboard EK, but I've heard it is leaps and bounds apart from DL -- in a good way.)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Having flown in D1/BE on the 777, 763 and 764 I think DL has a decent international business class product. Seatguru actually places DL's seat wider than EK, but in all reality both cabins are 1-2-1.

It would surprise me if EK didn't beat DL on the soft product, but hard products aren't too far apart. The TV screens on the 777 are pretty bad.

I think the trip report was fair to both airlines. Now EK's first class cabin is a different story, but I think in terms of J, DL has a decent product.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Better seating on A380, especially if you travel with someone else. (you can TALK to your companion)

Those delta seats that face the aisle are... no thanks.

New seats face in, but still difficult to share dinner with a companion.

A380 is quieter and has the bar in the back for Biz and First.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Feb 9, 2016 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Wow, the second paragraph.

Delta doesn't offer a pure business class on its intercontinental routes. Instead, it offers a first/business class hybrid called Delta One. Until last year, Delta One was known as Delta Business Elite. But many of the planes in the airline's fleet, including the ones operating my flight, have not yet received the upgrade to the shiny new Delta One interior.
Delta One is business class. Why does she think it's a J/F hybrid other than the name maybe possibly implying that? Also, when did Delta announce an upgrade to a "shiny new Delta One interior? I thought D1 was just a branding change from BE.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
When BusinessElite was launched, it WAS specifically marketed as a hybrid between international first class and business class. I can't say for sure whether that "hybrid' marketing is continuing with D1 but, given the name, it would seem reasonable to assume so.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by jimrpa
When BusinessElite was launched, it WAS specifically marketed as a hybrid between international first class and business class. I can't say for sure whether that "hybrid' marketing is continuing with D1 but, given the name, it would seem reasonable to assume so.
+1. Both DL and CO marketed their business cabins as a hybrid of first / business.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

+1. Both DL and CO marketed their business cabins as a hybrid of first / business.
Though, in an announcement on Feb. 8th, UA is bringing first class back on the EWR-SFO/LAX P.S. service.

Last edited by rwoman; Feb 10, 2016 at 8:55 am Reason: Wrong NYC airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.