Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First class upgrade confirmed by email, then revoked at airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list

Hello folks! Two days before a flight from RDU to LGA I got an email confirming my upgrade to seat 2D in first class. But when I arrived at the airport and printed out my boarding pass, my seat had been changed to 5D. The boarding pass still said "Premium" but 5D was in the main cabin. The gate agent told me they had switched to a smaller plane so there were fewer first class seats available now. So I guess there were several other passengers who also got "downgraded." I didn't feel entitled to my first class seat, but was really disappointed as I'd been counting on being able to rest during the flight (and hadn't brought my own pillow and blanket because I thought I'd be getting one). Is this a thing that happens often? Seems like a good way to create disgruntled passengers!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
Hello folks! Two days before a flight from RDU to LGA I got an email confirming my upgrade to seat 2D in first class. But when I arrived at the airport and printed out my boarding pass, my seat had been changed to 5D. The boarding pass still said "Premium" but 5D was in the main cabin. The gate agent told me they had switched to a smaller plane so there were fewer first class seats available now. So I guess there were several other passengers who also got "downgraded." I didn't feel entitled to my first class seat, but was really disappointed as I'd been counting on being able to rest during the flight (and hadn't brought my own pillow and blanket because I thought I'd be getting one). Is this a thing that happens often? Seems like a good way to create disgruntled passengers!
I'm guessing you went from a CR9 to a CR7. GoJet has been famous for this ever since they received the CR9. They can't seem to figure out which plane they're going to fly and the equipment keeps changing. Unfortunately that means downgrades.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
It's happened to me before with a mainline aircraft change. It was several years ago when SDC was easier to get, and I switched to a different flight that had FC available.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it's good that DL somehow seems to have de-upgraded the last or lowest priority upgraded passengers rather than just revoking upgrades from those sitting in the former last row of FC that no longer exists in the FC cabin.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it's good that DL somehow seems to have de-upgraded the last or lowest priority upgraded passengers rather than just revoking upgrades from those sitting in the former last row of FC that no longer exists in the FC cabin.
Why? United just lops off whoever's in the back of the F cabin regardless of status or whether they paid big $$ for their seat.

Sounds like less work for the airline to do it that way
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why should a customer care about minimizing work for an employee in this case?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Why should a customer care about minimizing work for an employee in this case?
I seriously need to find a "I am joking" button
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
...I didn't feel entitled to my first class seat, but was really disappointed as I'd been counting on being able to rest during the flight..!

A few cheers for a customer that understands that $hit happens. Sucks, but it happens.

I might advise being anal about checking seats on the app near flight time... though in this case, it may have been so late, it would not have helped. Not much you can do, other than being prepared.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:08 pm

At least someone at DL took care to put the OP into a good coach seat instead to giving him/her a middle seat in the back.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
At least someone at DL took care to put the OP into a good coach seat instead to giving him/her a middle seat in the back.
That's nice that the agent did that. A few drink coupons and any increased luggage limits should be given as well.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
I was returned to the same seat I had had before being upgraded.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:37 pm

I was returned to the same seat I had had before being upgraded.
You were very lucky.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
There aren't too many middle seats on a CRJ however.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does not DG by DG the last row or two as the case may be and it's software can run the DG list just like the UG list. It also pays a minimum $250 customer service gesture even though no compensation is due on freebie UG's.

It's nice that the GA was polite about the whole thing, but the real problem here is that carriers ought to stop doing advance freebie UG's. Hold them to the gate, preserve the UG list and award them closer to boarding. Not as though people will turn them down.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
^ I agree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.