Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PreCheck or SkyPriority

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by javabytes
Always Pre-Check, as having to opt out would negate any benefit of a shorter SkyPriority line.
Especially since opting out may no longer be permitted. So I'll always do Pre.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Carl
Especially since opting out may no longer be permitted. So I'll always do Pre.
Even that's no guarantee. Twice in December (I think both times were at SFO) I had the WTMD beep at me and they wanted to send me through a nude-o-scope. I had nothing on me that I haven't gone through with before. They claimed it was random selection.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by Zorak
Even that's no guarantee. Twice in December (I think both times were at SFO) I had the WTMD beep at me and they wanted to send me through a nude-o-scope. I had nothing on me that I haven't gone through with before. They claimed it was random selection.
Good point. I had that happen a couple of times last year, and then I had to wait to opt out. One of the main reasons I originally got Pre as soon as it was available was so I wouldn't have to hear "Male Assist" screamed for 10-15 mins while they try to track down the one male worker that's not a manager.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by 3furballs
That would be a definite negative on the random selection ending. I have not signed up for Pre-Check and def got selected three weeks ago when I flew (I make the same RT 2x a month and airports at both ends have super fast security no matter what line).

I wish they had a line for knows pre-check rules and one for doesn't have a f-ing clue about pre-check or just a knows how to get through security line and a no f-ing clue line. I had my 22 month-old with me (and I'm 7 months pregnant) and we sped through the pre-check faster than many who appeared to be single travelers or two adults on vacation (and I had a stroller, diaper bags with bottles of milk and a small backpack).
They had something like that a few years ago, a separate line for "experienced travelers" or something like that. But they didn't have cattle prods for people who got in that line, didn't know what to do, and took too long so the experiment failed.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
They had something like that a few years ago, a separate line for "experienced travelers" or something like that. But they didn't have cattle prods for people who got in that line, didn't know what to do, and took too long so the experiment failed.
I forget where it was, but I saw the ropes dividing lanes with the old experienced/ families etc. designations somewhere recently. My guess is that it might have been in the terminal that DL uses at MIA.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This rings a bell, didn't it use signs with green circle, blue square, and black diamond like ski trail levels?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Zorak
This rings a bell, didn't it use signs with green circle, blue square, and black diamond like ski trail levels?
One of them was a picture of a family.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:06 pm

Funny, I traveled so infrequently those days that when I encountered the setup I would steer clear of the expert lane so I didn't annoy anyone in a hurry. Now the equivalent (Pre) is often filled with clueless people in no hurry. I don't blame them at all, though. They're just trying to carefully follow instructions and do what's right. It can just be irksome to those of us who paid to be there.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's what I remember: a black and white rectangular sign with silhouettes of the people who are presumably meant to depict a family.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:30 pm

(after Googling "tsa security lanes ski slope") I was thinking of this:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2008/02/what-is-...-own-pace.html

Because the pilot [program] is in a region of the country where skiing is a way of life, TSA modeled the lanes after well-known ski icons: green for beginners, blue for intermediate and black for expert.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:50 pm

In MEM the pre check and SP lines end up at the same agent checking IDs. He or She waves the non pre check people to the regular lines to the right, and the pre check folks to the left. So you get the best of both worlds. Pretty sweet. ^
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I feel kind of stupid for asking this, but at ATL is there a pre-check over on the dark side (North terminal, WN-land)?

If so, might be reasonable to check it out on Mon mornings.

Of course if that looks bad, then circling back to the DL side takes a few minutes, but at least it is walking, not waiting.
I led a parade this Monday over to the Dark Side Pre. Everyone was glad to have done it. The South line stretched over to the regular line, but it was walk-up service on the North Side. The TSA agents were happy to have us. It broke up the boredom. It was early afternoon. The woman in front of me was doubtful, but she followed me over there and was giggling like a teenager when we so quickly went through the line, although they did pull her carry-on for additional screening.

While it may seem like a long walk over there, remember, the Pre screening point is farther down the hallway, resulting in a shorter walk after you go through the screening. I flew out of T on Monday, so I would have had to have walked down the hallway after security anyway.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K
Every time I fly out of EWR the Pre-Check lane in the Delta terminal is never open. I've flown out at all different hours and its still the same, never open. Glad its not my home airport.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by dc9flyernwa
Every time I fly out of EWR the Pre-Check lane in the Delta terminal is never open. I've flown out at all different hours and its still the same, never open. Glad its not my home airport.
......for this and many other reasons!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
MSP has a line that is only for those who have both PreCheck and SkyPriority. Is that unique to MSP?
I think that is only because the Delta Sky Priority Desk is right there. They used to allow you to go through if you were not PreCheck. That is not the case. I was shot down two weeks ago. No big deal hit the other Sky Priority gate and flew through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.