Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sneaking into Delta One on relatively empty DL transatlantic flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Tough crowd here.

What the OP did wasn't without its negative merits, but honestly, ease up. We're all human beings, we have those moments. It's not the end of the world, and certainly won't kill DL to leave it be and view it as a goodwill kind of thing... this time. Provided the OP got caught... which s/he didn't.
That's how I see it. The OP didn't consume any food or drinks or any other kind of service. I remember flying JFK-NRT a couple of years ago and we had a very light load. I spread out across a row of seats in economy comfort (yes, I paid for economy comfort) to sleep. Should I have been charged for the additional seats I was occupying?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Tough crowd here.

What the OP did wasn't without its negative merits, but honestly, ease up. We're all human beings, we have those moments. It's not the end of the world, and certainly won't kill DL to leave it be and view it as a goodwill kind of thing... this time. Provided the OP got caught... which s/he didn't.
The problem for me is that if nothing is done to deter it, bad behavior will replicate itself, over and over. Just look at what happens when the boarding process is not properly enforced, and carry on rules... The list goes on.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't know how to post a link or even if I'm allowed. There was a Seinfeld episode about this issue. Youtube search "Sneak into First Class"
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Tough crowd here.

I am not judging. My legal facts are just from my law enforcement experience and is hopefully used for others for reference, there is a risk of arrest. I honestly don't care if someone wants to take that risk.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

Originally Posted by firstmob
I guess you sneak into restaurants and eat the meal but not the dessert also!
Maybe we just need a thread to confess our sins . . . .

OK, I'm busted! Yesterday, I took my best friend out to a fancy schmancy buffet brunch for his birthday . . . . . . . . . . .

On the way out, I snuck 3 <delicious, creamy, extra rich, triple choclatey> brownies from the dessert table into a napkin for my office girl!

That said, this topic really isn't Delta specific - - but I'm not one of our "unofficial forum librarians", so, it really doesn't matter to me!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davetravels
Maybe we just need a thread to confess our sins . . . .
On the way out, I snuck 3 <delicious, creamy, extra rich, choclatey> brownies from the dessert table into a napkin for my office girl!
You criminal!!!

It's ok, when Delta at one time had the Byrd's Famous Cookies in the Sky clubs I would usually sneak a few out in my backpack.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Tough crowd here.

Doesn't bother me in the least... OP, and anyone else that decides to try this, had just better be ready to face the music if/when they get nabbed. To those saying that DL (or another airline) won't do anything if they catch someone doing this - you don't know that. I can see a future FT thread - "Delta Had Me Arrested"... Lol...
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by indufan
Not at all, this is a crime. It meets the definition of theft and usually is trivial amount of money.
Originally Posted by indufan
I am not judging. My legal facts are just from my law enforcement experience and is hopefully used for others for reference, there is a risk of arrest. I honestly don't care if someone wants to take that risk.
The only way sneaking forward could result in an arrest, or charges, is under "interfering with a crew". That means the perp would have to stay in F/J after the FA asks him/her to leave.

Can't charge trespassing since there is no sign clearly warning not to go forward and sit without a proper ticket.
Can't charge F/J ticket price, since that requires a contract. They could only after warning that you are in a more expensive class, if you choose to stay.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:52 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You criminal!!!

It's ok, when Delta at one time had the Byrd's Famous Cookies in the Sky clubs I would usually sneak a few out in my backpack.
Ooooops - - I may hafto confess AGAIN!!!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krlcomm
I can see a future FT thread - "Delta Had Me Arrested"... Lol...
I think we have already had one of those. Several years ago I remember someone posting that they had too much to drink before boarding their flight and then puked on the plane during boarding. He spent the night in the drunk tank.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by thesaints
The only way sneaking forward could result in an arrest, or charges, is under "interfering with a crew". That means the perp would have to stay in F/J after the FA asks him/her to leave.

Can't charge trespassing since there is no sign clearly warning not to go forward and sit without a proper ticket.
Can't charge F/J ticket price, since that requires a contract. They could only after warning that you are in a more expensive class, if you choose to stay.
Sorry, the police would disagree. It is theft, plain and simple. I will use my states definition but they are all pretty similar.
"A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use, commits theft, a Class D felony. "
A reasonable person knows it costs more to sit up front. Just because something doesn't have a price tag on it in a store, doesn't mean it isn't shoplifting.
Again, and this has been argued here before, I am not saying that this is going to happen but it could.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by thesaints

Wrong.

It's a clear violation of DHS safety & security rules. You can like it or not, but if the crew want to restrain the OP for the rest of the flight and turn him over to law enforcement on landing, that's their prerogative.

It's also a pretty clear theft of some form or other.

Whether anybody bothers to actually prosecutes these things is a different issue. But, to advise someone that it's not a crime or that they won't be prosecuted??
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
No, this should not be allowed. Imagine if this is allowed the chaos with folks fighting over D1 seats that aren't theirs.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mnredfox
No, this should not be allowed. Imagine if this is allowed the chaos with folks fighting over D1 seats that aren't theirs.
I don't think anyone is arguing that it should be allowed. More so we were speculating on the consequences if caught.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I don't think anyone is arguing that it should be allowed. More so we were speculating on the consequences if caught.
I saw a some 20 something kid get caught in J on an AA flight coming out of the Caribbean. The girl had the was unapologetic stating that she should be able to sit next to her friend since the seat was empty.

This goes on for a couple minutes so everyone can listen a rant of millennial entitlement. The purser jumps in and says she go back to steerage or deal with jail in Jamaica. I would have been fine missing my connection if it meant the brat was arrested.

Alas she sulked back to coach and we had to listen to her friend (paying F Pax) ..... about how mean the crew was to force her friend to the back for the rest of the flight.

A couple of the FAs were MSP based (ext of ORD) so we got a chance to talk to them on a later flight. Sadly, they said they running into entitled East Coast kids was par for the course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.