Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
2017 thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1814354-2017-compensation-thread.html
Print Wikipost

2016 Compensation Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
Route: ORD-SLC
Fare: K/OP
What Happened: Boarded and plane didn't have any coat hangers on board. Additionally, flight schedule said dinner would be served in F. No meal served an hour into flight. FA said flight didn't call for catering.
Compensation: 7,500 Miles
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Route: DTW to LAX
Issue: In seat entertainment kept freezing and restarting.
Fare: Paid first.

FA restarted multiple times. Was unwatchable, would not stay on.

Compensation: 15,000 miles.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
More than $200 worth of miles for the loss of a $20 Chinese dinner? Wow, your FA was generous.

I only got 2500 miles for a bad OJ spill all over me at the start of a D1 flight.
Plus the dry cleaning bill?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by kmersh
Route: DFW-ATL
Fare: A Fare
What Happened: I boarded the flight to find a hand written sign on my seat notating that the seat was out of order. The FA said she did mention it to the Gate Agent in DFW and that they were waiting for a Mechanic, but that the Mechanic in ATL was unable to fix it quickly thus the left with it inop, so she was not holding out much hope. The Mechanic did arrive, played with the seat a little and said that it needed to be fixed in ATL and I would have to have another seat. The Gate Agent pulled me off the flight and put me on the next flight to ATL as the flight was sold out and already late with lots of connections, I went to the SkyClub and the Agent there put me on a Non-stop AA flight and I looged into my DELTA SkyMiles account today I now have 10K miles, how they found my ancient DELTA account I have no idea or why they gave me now orphaned 10K miles is beyond me. I was happy with the AA flight.
Compensation: 10,000 Miles
Would this count as IDB? The flight was oversold for the number of seats actually available.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Would this count as IDB? The flight was oversold for the number of seats actually available.
I have no idea, it is possible, I was just happy to have a non-stop flight on AA that got me in earlier than my original Itin on DELTA.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:05 am

Route: ORD-CVG
Fare: V
What Happened: The episode documented here (briefly my flight was cancelled due to the pilots going over their hours due to a combination of de-icing, ramp traffic, sitting around so they could calculate their hours, and to top it all off an aborted takeoff)
Compensation: 4,000 SkyPesos

Seems kind of skimpy even for a status-less 99%er like myself...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danib62
Route: ORD-CVG
Fare: V
What Happened: The episode documented here (briefly my flight was cancelled due to the pilots going over their hours due to a combination of de-icing, ramp traffic, sitting around so they could calculate their hours, and to top it all off an aborted takeoff)
Compensation: 4,000 SkyPesos

Seems kind of skimpy even for a status-less 99%er like myself...
No compensation is owed for weather and ATC delays.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No compensation is owed for weather and ATC delays.
I'd say that weather and ATC only accounts for about half the total delay. The other part of the delay was ramp traffic and us sitting around in the penalty box so the pilots could calculate their flight hours.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danib62
I'd say that weather and ATC only accounts for about half the total delay. The other part of the delay was ramp traffic and us sitting around in the penalty box so the pilots could calculate their flight hours.
Ramp traffic would be included with ATC delays.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold 1MM, Mariott Silver
Stranded all day at SJC

SJC-LAS flight ended up in the airport all day - first due to crew not being there and later due to equipment problems. Could not rebook me due to a very busy travel week (CES in Vegas).

Proactively sent me 12K skymiles but when I complained online, they sent me $100 amazon card but actually retracted the miles.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ssk0
SJC-LAS flight ended up in the airport all day - first due to crew not being there and later due to equipment problems. Could not rebook me due to a very busy travel week (CES in Vegas).

Proactively sent me 12K skymiles but when I complained online, they sent me $100 amazon card but actually retracted the miles.
Wow. That's horrible. I cannot believe they retracted the miles, I'd be contacting them a second time..
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting thread. Seems they are pretty liberal with miles to appease customers. I would wager most, even standard sky miles members, don't even bother complaining about things like a seat that doesn't work.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Route: PDX-ATL-CMH
Fare: T Fare
What Happened: Close to 4-hour mechanical delay leaving PDX. Started at 30 minutes, then an hour. Rebooked onto later ATL-CMH connection. Part had to be flown in from Seattle, then the plane from Seattle had a mechanical problem itself. Delay goes to 2 hours, then 4. Never was going to make my connection in ATL. Rebooked on the same flight the next day. Delta gave me a voucher for a stay at the Shilo Inn at PDX and like 2 $15 airport food vouchers. Uh, no way in Hades am I subjecting myself to all that when I'm in the greatest city in the world. Complained about the flight, missing work the next day, and insufficient compensation for the overnight.
Compensation: 10,000 Miles which I am very happy with.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:44 am

TPA->JFK
GM, T fare, EC seat

delta app said plane had in flight power. didnt bother to charge laptop/phone. no in seat power available. laptop drained by South Carolina.

3 of 4 checked bags came out promptly. 4th was left on plane. Arrived 45 minutes later.

Compensation 7,500 miles
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
ATL-JNB

Flight delayed 3 1/2 hours on board due to mechanical problems. Finally deplaned and sat in the boarding area for nearly another 2 hours before the flight was "cancelled" and rescheduled for 11 AM in the morning. SkyClub closed by this time. Taxi voucher and downtown hotel voucher were all that were finally given out. Taxis available would not take voucher (was informed it was only good on Checker cabs and none available at midnight). No clothes as I checked a bag, and no food or other voucher. Did depart the following morning and my hotel first night prepaid in Sandton was lost. Otherwise a fun trip.

Compensation offered: 20,000 miles

When I received this compensation offer, I was unimpressed to say the least, given that it was the mechanical problem that significantly delayed the trip. After complaining in several emails that the compensation was inadequate, I received an email that provided a link to a $150 Delta or other merchant voucher. Was pacified until I found out they RETRACTED the 20,000 miles! Several phone calls and emails led nowhere, so wrote RA with the complaint. So far, no code for the $150 e-cert has been received, nor have the miles been re-deposited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.