Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PM flying with friends - free bags / Amex question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:12 pm
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM

Hi everyone,
I am flying down to New Orleans with a group of friends and we will all check bags. Should I book the tickets under 1 PNR? I, however, want higher upgrade priority. If they are on my reservation, they will put me lower on the list, right?

I've been searching the threads and it seemed like some agents allowed free bags to other members of a medallion's party even if they aren't on the same reservation. Is this right? Any tips?

Also, if I have the standard AMEX platinum, the $250 reimbursement of airline charges include SkyClub entrance fees for guests, right? (Since the card only grants access to me)

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyingdoc747
Hi everyone,
I am flying down to New Orleans with a group of friends and we will all check bags. Should I book the tickets under 1 PNR? I, however, want higher upgrade priority. If they are on my reservation, they will put me lower on the list, right?

I've been searching the threads and it seemed like some agents allowed free bags to other members of a medallion's party even if they aren't on the same reservation. Is this right? Any tips?

Also, if I have the standard AMEX platinum, the $250 reimbursement of airline charges include SkyClub entrance fees for guests, right? (Since the card only grants access to me)

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Only one companion would be eligible for the upgrade, and your +1 would drag you down the list. The earliest that you could clear is T-24, and you would clear below FOs for upgrades at-gate.

You can book separate PNRs, and then link them together to get the free bags. Just make sure that the agent doesn't request a companion upgrade for whomever your +1 would be.

Yes, the reimbursement would cover the entrance fee, although I'm pretty sure that you have to pay for club access using your Delta card to get the $29 discount (not totally sure though).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

There is nothing stopping you from checking the max number of bags you are allowed to check on your own. Just make sure you trust your friends and know what is in their bags.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WWads
Only one companion would be eligible for the upgrade, and your +1 would drag you down the list. The earliest that you could clear is T-24, and you would clear below FOs for upgrades at-gate.

You can book separate PNRs, and then link them together to get the free bags. Just make sure that the agent doesn't request a companion upgrade for whomever your +1 would be.

Yes, the reimbursement would cover the entrance fee, although I'm pretty sure that you have to pay for club access using your Delta card to get the $29 discount (not totally sure though).
Technically, linking PNRs does nothing but add a note that the pax in the different PNRs are somehow connected. If you do this and your friends go try to check in online, they will still be asked to pay for their bags. Their BPs will still read zone 1 or 2 and not SKY.

If you are not on a single PNR, you are fully at the mercy of a kind check-in agent to waive the bag fees for your companions. It often depends on airport - I often can get agents to do this at ATL, but have never had success at IAD.

The Amex Plat fee reimbursement ($200, not $250 IIRC) does cover guest entry fees and the $29 per guest per entrance fee is a feature of the unbranded plat as well as all the DL Amexes.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:32 am

As a Platinum Medallion, you can check up to 3 bags, 70 pounds each within most domestic markets. Also, up to 8 additional companions traveling on the same flights to the same final destination enjoy the same baggage allowance and priority baggage handling as the Medallion customer.

If booked in the same PNR, bag fee waivers will be automatic and simple. If booked in separate PNRs, advise the Bag Drop agent that your companions are traveling with you to the same destination on the same flights and the agent will need to manually waive applicable fees. (There's nothing that can be done before arriving at the airport to avoid speaking directly with a ticket counter agent to waive bag fees for companions.)

It's unfortunate if Bag Drop agents don't waive bags for Medallions' companions. There's actually a specific and conveniently located bag fee waiver code for Sky Priority companions in the Bag Drop software, so ask for a Red Coat if someone denies the bag fee waiver. I really don't think it will be a problem, though.

Last edited by Widgets; Jan 10, 2016 at 1:43 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Ya gotta love Widgets with the detailed 411.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Widgets
It's unfortunate if Bag Drop agents don't waive bags for Medallions' companions. There's actually a specific and conveniently located bag fee waiver code for Sky Priority companions in the Bag Drop software, so ask for a Red Coat if someone denies the bag fee waiver. I really don't think it will be a problem, though.
This is quite interesting. As I said in my earlier post, I have ALWAYS had check in agents deny this at certain airports (IAD comes to mind as I frequent there and the agents are often quite rude about it).

I would have never thought to ask for a Red Coat because I always looked at it as asking for a favor outside of the written same-PNR rules, and we are happy to pay the fee if told no when we ask the agent.

Are you saying that based on internal policy, airport check in agents actually should be waiving bag fees for companions of medallions on separate PNRs? What about companions of non-medallion Amex holders on separate PNRs?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Are you saying that based on internal policy, airport check in agents actually should be waiving bag fees for companions of medallions on separate PNRs? What about companions of non-medallion Amex holders on separate PNRs?
Yes.

Here are several scenarios where companions on separate PNRs (but with completely identical flight itineraries) enjoy bag fee waivers:
  • Gold, Platinum, or Diamond Medallion customer traveling with up to 8 companions in separate PNRs all enjoy the Medallion customer's baggage allowance.
  • Silver Medallion customer with Delta SkyMiles credit card from American Express traveling with up to 8 companions in separate PNRs all enjoy 2 free bags up to 70 pounds each.
  • Silver Medallion customer without the credit card traveling with up to 8 companions in separate PNRs all enjoy first free bag up to 70 pounds each.
  • General SkyMiles customer with Delta SkyMiles credit card from American Express traveling with up to 8 companions in separate PNRs all enjoy first free bag up to 50 pounds each.

Remember, for companions to be eligible for the bag fee waiver, they must be traveling with the eligible customer on the exact same flights to the same final destination. Their flying itinerary must be completely identical.

Processing bag fee waivers for companions in separate PNRs is very easy to do now. There are specific waiver codes in the bag drop software that exist precisely for these situations (Medallion and AMEX companions in separate PNRs).

It's understandable if some bag drop agents deny the fee waiver since the overall attitude is to usually charge for bags, but any agent who really looks into the policy internally will find specific phrasing that up to 8 companions in separate PNRs are eligible. Since I'm not allowed to say what the internal policy is, all I can recommend is to politely ask for a Red Coat. Most agents (including myself) love to reward politeness with exceeded expectations, so even if you're getting screwed by a bag drop agent, being polite could get you more than you expected After getting yelled at about seat changes or oversells, I love to go above and beyond for customers who have good reasons to be upset but still keep their cool.

Edit:

I also notice many, many Medallion customers who don't realize they're allowed 70 lbs per bag, not 50. When they get excited to see their bags at 49 lbs, I chuckle a little.

Medallion baggage allowances (and their 1-8 companions) for most domestic markets:
FO w/o AMEX: 1 bag, 70 lbs
FO w/ AMEX: 2 bags, 70 lbs
GM: 2 bags, 70 lbs
PM: 3 bags, 70 lbs
DM: 3 bags, 70 lbs

Last edited by Widgets; Jan 10, 2016 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:19 am

The only situation I'm aware of where being in the same PNR is absolutely necessary is for companion Delta Comfort+ upgrades for flights after May 16, 2016. For any other benefit that I can think of, being in separate PNRs just makes getting the benefit a little harder, but still totally doable and within policy.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes.
Thank you SO much for the answers, details, and insight you always provide to FT! This was certainly not known to me before and it'll be useful to know I can/should escalate if needed next time.

And a big +1 on staying cool and courteous at all times. Even in the few cases where I've had to get a redcoat or phone supervisor or lead FA, I still try to be nice to whoever has been working with me and frame it as me looking for additional clarity vs. a "YOU'RE WRONG LEMME TALK TO YOUR BOSS" approach. Things always seem to work out much better that way.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
The only situation I'm aware of where being in the same PNR is absolutely necessary is for companion Delta Comfort+ upgrades for flights after May 16, 2016. For any other benefit that I can think of, being in separate PNRs just makes getting the benefit a little harder, but still totally doable and within policy.
Really?

I'm flying ATL-ORD-ATL this weekend with 2 friends - all 3 of us are on the same PNR currently. Can I split them into a separate PNR and still get them both into Comfort+? There is some availability in FC on both legs, and I'm pretty sure I'll clear at T-72 if I am split off, but I want them to be able to sit in Comfort+.

I'd also request the UG for one companion on the way up, and the other companion on the way back so it's "even" (though I doubt either would get the UG).
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:24 am

If booked in the same PNR, bag fee waivers will be automatic and simple. If booked in separate PNRs, advise the Bag Drop agent that your companions are traveling with you to the same destination on the same flights and the agent will need to manually waive applicable fees. (There's nothing that can be done before arriving at the airport to avoid speaking directly with a ticket counter agent to waive bag fees for companions.)

Hi, I'm a DM booking an INTL itin EU > USA. When I check in in the EU at a KL/AF desk, if its a 006 ticket with DL coded flights, do you know if a companion on the same PNR will also receive my baggage allowance? On a different PNR with the exact same itinerary?
Our itinerary will have the first segment operated by AF/KL (to AMS/CDG). The TATL segment may be operated by DL/AF/KL (haven't booked yet).
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Hi, I'm a DM booking an INTL itin EU > USA. When I check in in the EU at a KL/AF desk, if its a 006 ticket with DL coded flights, do you know if a companion on the same PNR will also receive my baggage allowance? On a different PNR with the exact same itinerary?
Our itinerary will have the first segment operated by AF/KL (to AMS/CDG). The TATL segment may be operated by DL/AF/KL (haven't booked yet).
I have only found two relevant pieces of information for you.
  1. If your companion is traveling on a separate ticket, he/she must be booked with your Flying Blue miles to receive an additional free bag.
  2. Baggage fees are determined by the Most Significant Marketing Carrier (here that is the over-the-water marketing carrier). If your transatlantic flight is Delta-marketed, then I think your companions and you should have Delta-imposed fee waivers.
I think you should directly contact Air France to verify this.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:41 am

re #2, looks like for flights to/from USA the DOT rules can be slightly different (the first marketing carrier can decide if they want to use theirs or the MSC)
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...ine.Trips.html
scroll down to section on US DOT
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
EDIT: Sorry - didn't look at original post dates. No longer applicable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.