Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by jakers3200
Agreed. There are unavoidable risks and avoidable risks. My wife & I are very careful to only allow our baby to interact with dogs that we have assessed & have an escape route.
Also, (saying this for general knowledge, not in contrast to what you said), children should be taught to always ask a dog's handler whether it's ok to pet the dog. Adults should, too.

I don't take my critters on airplane rides, but they do get to wander around downtown with me. I've noticed over the past few years that more and more children approach and ask, "May I pet your dog?" They always get my permission and a smile.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Also, (saying this for general knowledge, not in contrast to what you said), children should be taught to always ask a dog's handler whether it's ok to pet the dog. Adults should, too.

I don't take my critters on airplane rides, but they do get to wander around downtown with me. I've noticed over the past few years that more and more children approach and ask, "May I pet your dog?" They always get my permission and a smile.
+1. With any pet you should ask permission.

I take my cat to cat shows on occasion and have no issues with people petting him since the breed loves people and attention but some cat owners will rip you a new one for touching their cat.

If I'm out walking and see someone walking their dog and the dog seems friendly I'll always ask if it's ok to pet the dog first.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I saw a new twist to this Friday. An older woman with a carriage preboarding. I didn't think much of it until I got down the jetway and she was starting to remove what I thought was an infant from said stroller. Nope. A small lap dog in it's ESA vest.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
+1. With any pet you should ask permission.
This
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I saw a new twist to this Friday. An older woman with a carriage preboarding. I didn't think much of it until I got down the jetway and she was starting to remove what I thought was an infant from said stroller. Nope. A small lap dog in it's ESA vest.
Lazy dog or one with breathing problems that can't walk far?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
ESA in reverse. Animal in need of emotional support.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by zitsky
Lazy dog or one with breathing problems that can't walk far?
It was a +/- 5 lb. dog that appeared quite healthy and mobile. I wondered more about the owner, than the dog. I'll go with eccentric re the owner.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by Corryn
AMEN. Period.

Today I went to a doctors office. At the desk trying to chit chat with the secretary's was a patient with his medium-sized dog in his arms. In a doctor's office. I refused to go up to the desk because the dog was level with my face and I didn't want to chance getting bit. After a minute, the man realized I was waiting and he backed away from the desk so I could check in.
I have a fear of dogs. I am also allergic to cats.
What happens if I board a flight and find out the person next to me has brought their dog/cat? What happens then? When do my rights as a Human Being come into play? And do "Emotional Service Animals" have precedence over my right as a Human Being? How about MY emotional instability due to an Emotional Service Animal?
How does THAT play out?
Corryn is spot on. I think the rights of those who are allergic to dogs/cats as well as those who are phobic to such should be more important than those who wish to bring their animals on board. I think Service Animals should be Gate Checked and sent to the hold as well.

In regards to the incident where a passenger was mauled by a dog that was an ESA I hope he sues both the owner of the ESA as well as Delta. Until the law is changed I think the airlines should be in a "no win" position so no matter what they do they WILL take a financial hit.

I hope any judgment against Delta over the passenger who was mauled is so large and so off the charts as to dwarf any fines that the government could levy for refusing to allow ESA's in the cabin.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Corryn is spot on. I think the rights of those who are allergic to dogs/cats as well as those who are phobic to such should be more important than those who wish to bring their animals on board. I think Service Animals should be Gate Checked and sent to the hold as well.

In regards to the incident where a passenger was mauled by a dog that was an ESA I hope he sues both the owner of the ESA as well as Delta. Until the law is changed I think the airlines should be in a "no win" position so no matter what they do they WILL take a financial hit.

I hope any judgment against Delta over the passenger who was mauled is so large and so off the charts as to dwarf any fines that the government could levy for refusing to allow ESA's in the cabin.
How can Delta possibly be held accountable for this? They are following the law as it is currently written. They don't have any choice in this - they have to follow the law and so far, these internet produced letters and/or letters from doctors who know it isn't true but write it anyway so his poor patient can travel with Fluffy on his lap, are considered acceptable. Assuming the pax had an ESA letter - even an internet-bought, totally fake one - what was Delta supposed to have done? They can't refuse to transport the pax and his ESA so they have no possible culpability in this. The entire practice is disgusting, but I certainly don't blame Delta or any other airline. I blame the scammers and fakers. In fact, every GA I have ever spoken to feels the same way and knows (ok, suspects, before you all jump on me asking about my medical training) that the vast, vast majority of these ESA's are fake but what can they do?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, there are rules that say service animals can be removed if they threaten safety, etc. The dog was growling during boarding and the victim was clearly very anxious about the situation, apparently asking three times whether the dog will bite him.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon

I'll move if necessary but I think a phobia against cats is ridiculous imho. I'm not sending my cat in cargo. And it won't be an ESA.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll move if necessary but I think a phobia against cats is ridiculous imho.
And may I ask, where are you licensed to practice medicine and psychiatry? Because otherwise, I really don't care whether you think my wife's phobia of cats is ridiculous. Frankly, I think traveling with pets for any reason other than relocation is ridiculous, but no one cares about my opinion, just as I'm not particularly interested in yours.

I'm not sending my cat in cargo. And it won't be an ESA.
As long as you comply with the other rules for transporting pets in the cabin, i.e. keeping your cat in its carrier throughout the flight, no problem. Take it out, though, and you'll be sending me a bill for a replacement cat. I'm far more concerned with my wife's well-being than that of your cat's.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
And may I ask, where are you licensed to practice medicine and psychiatry? Because otherwise, I really don't care whether you think my wife's phobia of cats is ridiculous. Frankly, I think traveling with pets for any reason other than relocation is ridiculous, but no one cares about my opinion, just as I'm not particularly interested in yours.

As long as you comply with the other rules for transporting pets in the cabin, i.e. keeping your cat in its carrier throughout the flight, no problem. Take it out, though, and you'll be sending me a bill for a replacement cat. I'm far more concerned with my wife's well-being than that of your cat's.
It's the internet. It's called an opinion. Thanks for the implied threat against my property. Not very classy. I always thought you were decent. Your comment doesn't reinforce that. You are overreacting.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Exclamation

I'll move if necessary but I think a phobia against cats is ridiculous imho. I'm not sending my cat in cargo. And it won't be an ESA.
Cat phobias do exist, my mom had a boss in the 70s whose wife had a cat phobia. I still remember the time they came to our house and my mom didn't know she had a cat phobia until they arrived and we had to put the cat in a bedroom.

I agree it's absurd to suggest sending a pet in cargo. That's like saying an infant shouldn't be allowed to fly if another passenger has a phobia/nervousness around little kids. If my seatmate has a cat phobia and I happen to be flying with my cat I'll gladly get reseated as long as it's an aisle in the same cabin of service. In the two cases I mentioned before where I had a seatmate that had severe cat allergies (who wanted reseated but decided to stay where they were when they found out they would be sitting in coach instead since I had a higher status on one occasion and another I had a paid upgrade and theirs was a free upgrade) I kept the cat in the carrier under the seat in front of me the entire trip and I always ask my seat mate if they have an objection to my unzipping the top flap of the carrier part way so he can stick his head out.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Cat phobias do exist, my mom had a boss in the 70s whose wife had a cat phobia. I still remember the time they came to our house and my mom didn't know she had a cat phobia until they arrived and we had to put the cat in a bedroom.

I agree it's absurd to suggest sending a pet in cargo. That's like saying an infant shouldn't be allowed to fly if another passenger has a phobia/nervousness around little kids. If my seatmate has a cat phobia and I happen to be flying with my cat I'll gladly get reseated as long as it's an aisle in the same cabin of service. In the two cases I mentioned before where I had a seatmate that had severe cat allergies (who wanted reseated but decided to stay where they were when they found out they would be sitting in coach instead since I had a higher status on one occasion and another I had a paid upgrade and theirs was a free upgrade) I kept the cat in the carrier under the seat in front of me the entire trip and I always ask my seat mate if they have an objection to my unzipping the top flap of the carrier part way so he can stick his head out.
I will sometimes open the carrier to pet my cat, but I won't let them out on the plane. I once did that in the airport with a cat I didn't think would run away. Just let her head out of the carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.