Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Finkface
This. I sometimes wonder how some people can look themselves in the mirror.
For some, it is easy. When they look in a mirror, they are seeing their favorite person.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
For some, it is easy. When they look in a mirror, they are seeing their favorite person.

Maybe Harry was really seeing his emotional support attack dog.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
There is part of me that has always thought that at some point there would be flights tailored to things that certain segments of the population prefer the two specific would be pet friendly flights and children free flights (there are some of us who would pay more for such)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miesque
There is part of me that has always thought that at some point there would be flights tailored to things that certain segments of the population prefer the two specific would be pet friendly flights and children free flights (there are some of us who would pay more for such)
Options:

1) Pets:Yes, Children:Yes flights
2) Pets:Yes, Children:No flights
3) Pets: No, Children: Yes flights
4) Pets:Yes, Children:Yes flights

But, should we further breakdown the Pets:Yes flights into:

a) Cats:Yes, Dog: Yes flights
b) Cats:Yes, Dog: No flights
c) Cats: No, Dog: Yes flights

And, what about the emotional support turkeys?

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Jun 7, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Way too much virtual ink being wasted on a lot of unnecessary whining by the UnEmotional flyers complaining, "I don't want to sit next to a dog".
How often has you wife been placed in a situation requiring her to sit next to a cat on a flight?

Originally Posted by PTravel
I'm sorry, but it's not simply a question of not liking pets. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my wife has a severe cat phobia. Just putting the carrier on your lap, unopened, would undoubtedly freak her out. And, needless to say, I care far more about my wife than about your cats. I'll just leave it at that.

I'd also note that, as has been mentioned in this and other threads, some people are extremely allergic to cats, even to the point of risking anaphylactic shock. It's not just a question of whether your seatmate doesn't like cats, or wants to pet the friendly cat. It's a question of being considerate of those flying with you. Here on FT, the general consensus is that bringing stinky food on board is rude. If merely creating offensive smells is inconsiderate, what is creating an allergic reaction?

For what it's worth, I'm far more partial to dogs than cats, but I would pet the friendly cat. But only if my wife weren't with me.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by stallion114
I guess I just fail to realize how I am hurting anyone by getting an ESA. I am not making the connection between preventing those with disabilities from getting an ESA.
I agree.
Unfortunately the Haters have taken over this Thread. If you accept there is even a percentage of ESA flyers who have a legitimate need, why not back off, and give them a forum for asking genuine questions about traveling on Delta with their ESA. Take the negativity over to the Omni forum and waste time counting backwards.
If someone came here concerned about travel anxiety, reading a few pages of this would send them away thinking , maybe One ESA was not enough to reduce the stress they were going to face from fellow travelers.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Way too much virtual ink being wasted on a lot of unnecessary whining ...
^ and no one who's any kind of a regular here on FT should be at all surprised
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How often has you wife been placed in a situation requiring her to sit next to a cat on a flight?
Never. What's your point?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree.
Unfortunately the Haters have taken over this Thread. If you accept there is even a percentage of ESA flyers who have a legitimate need, why not back off, and give them a forum for asking genuine questions about traveling on Delta with their ESA. Take the negativity over to the Omni forum and waste time counting backwards.
If someone came here concerned about travel anxiety, reading a few pages of this would send them away thinking , maybe One ESA was not enough to reduce the stress they were going to face from fellow travelers.
You are aware, are you not, that this thread was revived when a thread about an ESA who attacked and mauled a passenger on Delta was moved over here? Or do you think that whatever percentage of ESA flyers have a legitimate need cancels out this kind of concern?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:32 pm

[QUOTE=PTravel;28412025]You are aware, are you not, that this thread was revived when a thread about an ESA who attacked and mauled a passenger on Delta was moved over here? Or do you think that whatever percentage of ESA flyers have a legitimate need cancels out this kind of concern

Stuff happens,.... rarely.

Last edited by beachmiles; Jun 6, 2017 at 6:47 pm
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Never. What's your point?
My point is why spend so much time stressing about something that probably will never effect you, or your wife.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point is why spend so much time stressing about something that probably will never effect you, or your wife.
Because, when it happens, it will have been to late to prevent it?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:04 pm

I have sympathy for anyone's phobia. But the thought of some one freaked out by little fluffy kitty cat surprises me. I think we see from the recent story that dogs are more dangerous than cats. When is the last time a house cat mauled or killed someone?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
I have sympathy for anyone's phobia. But the thought of some one freaked out by little fluffy kitty cat surprises me. I think we see from the recent story that dogs are more dangerous than cats. When is the last time a house cat mauled or killed someone?
My Cat From Hell?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My Cat From Hell?
I'm guessing someone who was scratched or bitten by a cat as a child.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.