Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/KLM to codeshare with Jet Airways (9W) to/from India

Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA

Looks like Jet Airways (9W) will be taking advantage of KLM/Delta's AMS hub and starting codeshare flights with DL/KL between North America and India through AMS:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...114400250.html

DL will be codesharing on 9W's AMS-DEL and AMS-BOM flights, flights to other Indian cities, as well as to DAC, KTM, and CMB, staring March 27, 2016.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Wasn't this supposed to take place like 5 years ago?

Wasn't 9W also supposed to move the BRU ops at some point?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Vuelos
Wasn't this supposed to take place like 5 years ago?

Wasn't 9W also supposed to move the BRU ops at some point?
Yes and yes, but it looks like the move from BRU to AMS is happening

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50173455.cms
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Good to have choices. Not sure whether this is a better choice than the current DL option (AF CDG>BOM).
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
Have to chuckle at the Q&A:

Q: Given that Etihad Airways owns a 24 percent stake in Jet, and those two airlines "operate a strategic alliance that includes codesharing across their networks, is it hypocritical for Delta to partner with Jet when it is fighting to push Etihad out of U.S. markets?

NP: Etihad’s minority investment in Jet doesn’t change the fact that Gulf carriers have deeply distorted the playing field on international flights to India, in violation of the Open Skies agreements. We are asking the U.S. government to open consultations with the UAE and Qatar to address the subsidy issue. But in the meantime airlines like Delta are forced to find ways to adapt, and this codeshare is beneficial to our customers as well as Jet’s."
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Good news. Does this mean we get MQM/MQD when we fly Jet airways?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Good news. Does this mean we get MQM/MQD when we fly Jet airways?
I think that must be the case...it would be a codeshare with Delta, DL flight number, 006 ticket, etc.

ETA: MQM/MQD/RDM etc. when flying this codeshare, this doesn't mean Jet is becoming a SkyTeam partner and all flights would count or anything like that.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I got MQM on 9W previously, but since then it's been discontinued. I imagine this means it will be starting again.

I would prefer that they keep operating out of BRU.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
As a Diamond who flies to India twice a year and then uses my miles to give my family tickets to India, all I can say is THANK GOD for this. I was on the verge of leaving Skyteam for OW.

I just hope that all 9W flights are covered and not just the AMS ones. The thing about trips to India is that many people stop over along the way. I want the flexibility to go JFK-LHR-BOM or JFK-AMS-BOM or BOM-CDG using 9W's afternoon BOM departure. Here's hoping DL doesn't make earning and redeeming to restrictive. As it is leaving / arriving India is hard but now people want option other than being forced to take a 2:30am departure. Having all the 9W european flights plus VS, DL, KL and AF's NA flights would make things great

Btw my company had a travel screw up and ended up booking me on Etihad (which I never fly). But it was in first so I said ok . Its on a Jet aircraft so let's see how it goes.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Looks like awards will be possible only on codeshare routes.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by huskerchad
I think that must be the case...it would be a codeshare with Delta, DL flight number, 006 ticket, etc.

ETA: MQM/MQD/RDM etc. when flying this codeshare, this doesn't mean Jet is becoming a SkyTeam partner and all flights would count or anything like that.
Agreed, in fact, the only requirement is that the flight number start with the letters DL. If that requirement is met, then you get full MQM/MQD/RDM exactly the same as if it were DL metal.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
It is good to have AMS-BOM options on "Delta" again. However, the codeshares on Jet do not appear to have been loaded in Delta's system yet. I can only pull up the AF codeshares to BOM and DEL.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
So any word on earning and redeeming skymiles on 9W? Btw if you can only earn miles (not MQMs) on DL code shares, that would suck. MQMs I get but come on DL give us options. Take my mom, she will only fly to BOM on flights that arrive before 7/8pm or so. She doesn't want to take a taxi at 2am or make family come pick her up. VS's day flight JFK-LHR connecting to 9W's second flight to BOM that arrives at 11am or so is perfect (she uses BA's option despite all of our miles being Skyteam). She won't fly through the Middle East, so perfect for DL and is willing to pay a reasonable premium for that. I hope DL looks at the big picture wrt India and not be so myopic that we are left with very few options. The ME3 have multiple departures from BOM and usually two options to big cites in Europe and the US.Between AMS, CDG & LHR, DL fliers to BOM and DEL should be very well covered as would people flying to smaller cities that don't have many international options. All DL needs is BLR, MAA, HYD and they should be fine in India until they figure out non stops.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:22 am

I think SkyTeam ++ (ie., VS,9W) should have ONE European hub. Now there are more hubs than Indian destinations.

I think DL as an adult should decide between KL/AF/VS/9W who will serve India.

Goal should be to serve more US-India one-stop options. Not to have more transit hubs.

Indian passengers like things in this order.
1) Young FAs(of particular type),
2) Non-stop/one-stop to their own City (they don't like to stop at another Indian hub)
3) Latest Hollywood Movies
4) Low fares (low priority)
5) Good food (low priority)

This is the prime reason ME3 are successful and every one else is failing.

For US/EU legacies to capture that market you have to serve non-stop to their city with Young FAs and IFE loaded with latest Hollywood movies.

IMHO VS is the only carrier has chance to do well in India. LGW is better because it is cheaper than LHR.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
So any word on earning and redeeming skymiles on 9W? Btw if you can only earn miles (not MQMs) on DL code shares, that would suck. MQMs I get but come on DL give us options. Take my mom, she will only fly to BOM on flights that arrive before 7/8pm or so. She doesn't want to take a taxi at 2am or make family come pick her up. VS's day flight JFK-LHR connecting to 9W's second flight to BOM that arrives at 11am or so is perfect (she uses BA's option despite all of our miles being Skyteam). She won't fly through the Middle East, so perfect for DL and is willing to pay a reasonable premium for that. I hope DL looks at the big picture wrt India and not be so myopic that we are left with very few options. The ME3 have multiple departures from BOM and usually two options to big cites in Europe and the US.Between AMS, CDG & LHR, DL fliers to BOM and DEL should be very well covered as would people flying to smaller cities that don't have many international options. All DL needs is BLR, MAA, HYD and they should be fine in India until they figure out non stops.
Isn't Calcutta a major destination in India?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.