Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***

My partner and I are last to board a CRJ-900 for premium cabin, I glance in front of me and realize quickly it's going to be a problem because almost everyone has roller boards and we are last on. We are in 2C and D, as expected I walk back to mid-EC and put my bag up. Coming back from EC I see my partner is agitated and standing in front of row 3, the bin over 3 C&D only has a large over coat and a small purse stuffed in it. Knowing he is not up for confrontation I gently ask the young college DYKWIA ladies in 3 C&D whose coat it is. D answers with attitude it is in fact hers. I state nicely to her, "the bins are usually used for bags on this small plane and the FA will hang your coat if you place it on your lap" she says "um ya no thanks" .... Now the line to board is backed up and people are getting frustrated. I tell her "Ok but the FA will likely take her coat out of the bin anyway." Now my partner and the guy in 3A want to put their bags up but she doubles down and refuses, the FA shouts from the galley "EXACTLY what is the problem" I slide into 2D and the FA shouts to hand her the coat. DYKWIA then refuses to allow the coat to be handed to the FA and makes the FA climb past 5 people to get the coat herself. DYKWIA is quite upset she was de-binned and gives my seat 3-4 good whoops with her foot. My partner and I are giggling profusely at this point. DYKWIA then goes on a tirade about her phone being in the pocket of her coat (which she wouldn't have had access to in the bin) and demands the FA bring her back the coat!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:18 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nikitta28
My partner and I are last to board a CRJ-900 for premium cabin, I glance in front of me and realize quickly it's going to be a problem because almost everyone has roller boards and we are last on. We are in 2C and D, as expected I walk back to mid-EC and put my bag up. Coming back from EC I see my partner is agitated and standing in front of row 3, the bin over 3 C&D only has a large over coat and a small purse stuffed in it. Knowing he is not up for confrontation I gently ask the young college DYKWIA ladies in 3 C&D whose coat it is. D answers with attitude it is in fact hers. I state nicely to her, "the bins are usually used for bags on this small plane and the FA will hang your coat if you place it on your lap" she says "um ya no thanks" .... Now the line to board is backed up and people are getting frustrated. I tell her "Ok but the FA will likely take her coat out of the bin anyway." Now my partner and the guy in 3A want to put their bags up but she doubles down and refuses, the FA shouts from the galley "EXACTLY what is the problem" I slide into 2D and the FA shouts to hand her the coat. DYKWIA then refuses to allow the coat to be handed to the FA and makes the FA climb past 5 people to get the coat herself. DYKWIA is quite upset she was de-binned and gives my seat 3-4 good whoops with her foot. My partner and I are giggling profusely at this point. DYKWIA then goes on a tirade about her phone being in the pocket of her coat (which she wouldn't have had access to in the bin) and demands the FA bring her back the coat!
Put your bags on top of her coat. Problem solved, everyone happy...
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
She kicked the seat? Did anyone else happen to see that? That would have been priceless.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by puddinhead
^
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
My bags would have gone on the coat right away without asking who it belonged to.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by puddinhead
That was my first thought as well. The OP gave them the opportunity to move it. Next step, squish it all in. They were warned...
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the bin over 3 C&D only has a large over coat and a small purse stuffed in it
Why would you stuff your coat into an overhead bin when it could be properly hung on a coat hangar??!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Calchas
Why would you stuff your coat into an overhead bin when it could be properly hung on a coat hangar??!
So that it just sits there and I can sleep a bit longer rather than have the FA awaken me to hand it to me before touchdown.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
So that it just sits there and I can sleep a bit longer rather than have the FA awaken me to hand it to me before touchdown.
^ Fair play

I'm the sort of guy who keeps a coat hangar at work so my jacket can hang there neatly
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
My bags would have gone on the coat right away without asking who it belonged to.
The DYKWIA was a large girl and she had a big winter coat, 4 sub sandwiches and a purse in there. Don't think You could have stuffed the bag on top of the coat from the view I had. My partner said he jammed his bag right on top of the sandwiches after the coat removal. I left that part out.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
The DYKWIA was a large girl and she had a big winter coat, 4 sub sandwiches and a purse in there. Don't think You could have stuffed the bag on top of the coat from the view I had. My partner said he jammed his bag right on top of the sandwiches after the coat removal. I left that part out.
THE PLOT THICKENS!

Re: sub sandwiches...did I already post in here about the time I sat next to a guy in EC who pulled an unwrapped sandwich out of his coat pocket and periodically "set it down" by placing it in the seat pocket?

It was disgusting enough that I couldn't even eat my Biscoffs...

Last edited by gooselee; Dec 12, 2015 at 9:45 am
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by gooselee
THE PLOT THICKENS!

Re: sub sandwiches...did I already post in here about the time I sat next to a guy in EC who pulled an unwrapped sandwich out of his coat pocket and periodically "set it down" by placing it in the seat pocket?

I was disgusting enough that I couldn't even eat my Biscoffs...
Yes, I believe I recall that. It is no less horrific now than it was then Simply gross... Did they visit the lav in the sock/bare feet as well?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Yes, I believe I recall that. It is no less horrific now than it was then Simply gross... Did they visit the lav in the sock/bare feet as well?
Don't recall the lav trip as I was too busy mixing my own drink.

Ahh, slow Fridays at the office.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

THE PLOT THICKENS!

That which (wich) does not kill you makes you stronger
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
THE PLOT THICKENS!

That which (wich) does not kill you makes you stronger
This just keeps getting better, I only wish I could have seen it go down. In all honesty, this sounds exactly like something you'd see on Seinfeld or some other sitcom.

When I was a toddler and my mother was finishing residency, we visited her for lunch at one of the hospitals she was at. Apparently were in a long hallway with an equally long window, when I stuck my tongue in the corner of the window and walked the length of the hallway. My ironclad immune system has been partially attributed to this.

Last edited by brocklee9000; Dec 11, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.