Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport maiden, Ticket married

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Government issued photo ID is not required to fly domestically. The TSA will let you though the checkpoint but one has to under go additional screening.
Yes, but do TSA employees know this? It's much easier just to have photo ID that complies with their rules.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Definitely helps when the divorce comes around. Lot less paperwork to deal with then.

But yes, people do stupid stuff when they get married and don't think things out. Booking tickets for the honeymoon is one of them.

Originally Posted by davetravels

I guess this was simply meant tongue-in-cheek. SURELY, a couple just getting married - - the very last thing on their minds is planning FOR DIVORCE!!!!

. . . . . . Although . . . . . with today's divorce rates what they are . . . . maybe . . . . . .
Any man who is currently thinking of getting married and not taking in consideration the financial ramifications of their decision is a fool. Currently the divorce rate has gone up to 60%, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, the guy is robbed blind by the ex, and the lawyer. Always get a prenup. You never expect to have your house burn down, but isn't it nice when the insurance is there to save your butt?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Just FWIW, I think we all recently saw those articles on the FT home page about how within the span of the same week, several TSA employees allowed people through with entirely mismatching documents. So take that for what it's worth.

Here's what we did (or are in the process of doing). We got married at the end of March, and our honeymoon was about a week and a half after the wedding. Since I had booked the tickets using unused ticket credit (which was refunded to our own name and skymiles account), and we had two flights already booked prior to even deciding when we'd go on our honeymoon, and I had just signed my wife up for global entry, and there was just no way we'd get her a new passport after getting the marriage certificates and then try to update her SM account and try to go through the process of the name change on all her tickets, we elected to just travel with her current (maiden name) passport. Then, in between booking the honeymoon and actually getting married, we had bought tickets for a family reunion over the summer. So I figured I would just get her a new passport, change her name for global entry, and get her DL account changed after the summer trip. But then, we ended up booking Thanksgiving and Christmas travel. So I decided I would do it all in January. Then I found a good deal to use all my miles for J tickets, so we're going in April. And my wife will likely be flying for work between January and April.

TLDR: It's been a whirlwind and I've had to keep pushing back when we'll update her passport. I don't really know what it takes to change the name on tickets already purchased, hence why I have just wanted to wait. Now, though, our only two ticketed trips are Christmas in paid F, and then the award trip in J. Since several people have mentioned that the only way to change the name is cancel the ticket and repurchase, I definitely don't want to do that. I don't know if they'd be able to cancel the award ticket, change her name in the system, and then allow us to rebook the same itinerary at the same low award level for the same days... Her passport only needs to be valid for three months after our day of departure, so even though her passport expires some time in late summer or early fall 2016, she easily meets the three month requirement.

So I will also add my voice to the "you guys need to calm down" choir.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Any man who is currently thinking of getting married and not taking in consideration the financial ramifications of their decision is a fool. Currently the divorce rate has gone up to 60%, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, the guy is robbed blind by the ex, and the lawyer. Always get a prenup. You never expect to have your house burn down, but isn't it nice when the insurance is there to save your butt?
Perhaps, many people with money, DO think ahead as to the possibility of divorce, and plan accordingly, but, I'd bet that 90% of people IN LOVE - - are only thinking about how much they're in love!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
We got married at the end of March
Congrats!!!

So, is your pre-marriage last name Brocklee, 9000, or Brocklee9000?!?!?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Government issued photo ID is not required to fly domestically. The TSA will let you though the checkpoint but one has to under go additional screening.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but do TSA employees know this? It's much easier just to have photo ID that complies with their rules.
From what I've seen, especially at MSP, TSA employees do know this. But it's still definitely easier to bring appropriate photo ID rather than endure the discomfort, inconvenience, and delay of the extra body scanning and pat down, plus inspection of the baggage contents.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I really don't understand why people would rather be hassled and make things harder rather than just having one name and getting a passport for that one correct name....? (I'm not talking about OP, but all the other comments).

For honeymoon you use maiden name on ticket and get new passport when you get back.

Most problems in life are self inflicted.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I really don't understand why people would rather be hassled and make things harder rather than just having one name and getting a passport for that one correct name....? (I'm not talking about OP, but all the other comments).

For honeymoon you use maiden name on ticket and get new passport when you get back.

Most problems in life are self inflicted.
Yep, this is the simple solution and what we did. After the honeymoon, my wife got a new driver's license almost immediately (hers was expiring soon anyway) which then allowed her to travel domestically on tickets in her married name while working on getting a new passport. We went on an international trip about 6 months after getting married, and that allowed plenty of time to get a new passport and get Global Entry updated.

As to some of the other comments in this thread, it's really our own personal decision and no one else's business that she chose to change her name to match mine. It's something we discussed beforehand but ultimately was her decision. I do think having the same name and only one name will make a number of things easier over the coming decades, particularly since we were married in our mid-to-late-20s.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
No where near 60% and has never been close. Popular misconception due to agenda driven reporting.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:36 pm

Foolish comment

Originally Posted by fti
I always wonder why people do this - book a ticket in a name other than the name on the ID. Did they just not think about it earlier? Did they think they might have been able to get the passport changed but didn't? Did they think they couldn't fly under their maiden name after getting married even though the ID still showed the maiden name? Maybe being frequent flyer skews our perception, but it seems so easy to some of us!
This is a pretty foolish comment. Obviously there are many ID types. When someone marries in a given country, they then get a driver license with their married name, and nearly every other ID will also be updated or newly issued with the married name. In this case of a foreigner who marries in another country, they get all local IDs with the married name as well as a Green Card (in USA) with the married name. The ONLY ID with a maiden name is a foreign passport. So it's actually not a surprise that after using a married name in pretty much every situation for months or years, that they then buy an international flight with that name. I've bought domestic and international flights for my wife and the process is identical. So it's easy to forget to stop and think about which name to use every single time.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
The slim chance I ever get married again, I'm definitely getting a prenup.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yohanson
The slim chance I ever get married again, I'm definitely getting a prenup.
After watching what my father did to my mother I would never consider not having a prenuptial. This on top of almost killing her (reason for divorce) made me lose hope at one point in justice.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:58 pm

Resurrected a two-year old thread?

On the new OP:
It could be an honest mistake, but IIRC, delta.com does remind you to enter the name exactly as it appears on the government ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.