Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Shocked by low MQM with ST partners to Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM

Hi all,

Looking to book travel to Indonesia and was shocked to see how low MQMs are on partner airlines "after 1 January 2015".
Was it me who was stupid to think that MQMs were earned on partner airlines like KE, VN, GA, etc. like on AF/KL? Was this always that bad, even before 2015?

Any experience maximizing MQM/miles to Indonesia on partner airlines? I'm looking through the fine print and finding that apparently even VS doesn't offer MQM on non-VS operated but VS coded flights... Or any ways to get MQM on KE operated flights?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

You can buy the DL coded flights if they exist at a reasonable price.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You get full MQM on KE operated flights booked with DL flight numbers.

DL still operates NRT-BKK and vv with the 767. In fact, it seems to be an easier upgrade that NRT-SIN and vv.

Unfortunately, for most of Asia DL seems to want you to take the DL SEA-Asia nonstops. Some people apparently just purchase separate intraAsia flights on LCCs.

IIRC there are still a few other Asian partner flights that earn full MQMs, such as SIN-DPS on KLM.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
DL is generally terrible for TPAC (bad timings, terrible relationships with partners, limited award availability, limited upgrade availability, etc). One might consider the value of loyalty for such travel.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
DL is generally terrible for TPAC (bad timings, terrible relationships with partners, limited award availability, limited upgrade availability, etc). One might consider the value of loyalty for such travel.
yes they truly are. And you would expect to see great partner benefits where they don't offer service, to keep your loyalty
This makes me greatly consider opening up to a different alliance (2x 20k miles in J definitely makes it worth considering...), not because I am displeased with DL, but simply because there is no alternative...
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
That reads to me as DL is doing well with TPAC flights and no need to attract more loyalty. My recent JFK-NRT flight was 100% full in D1. Using GUC, I was 1/4 on upgrade list and of course didn't clear (C was zeroed out a few days prior).

Last edited by TerryK; Nov 30, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mayhem
..... Or any ways to get MQM on KE operated flights?
You can get full MQM on DL codeshares operated by KE but you don't want to book it unless paid by OPM. As others mentioned, best way is to fly DL to BKK/SIN then a partner to Indonesia.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Hi all,

Any experience maximizing MQM/miles to Indonesia on partner airlines? I'm looking through the fine print and finding that apparently even VS doesn't offer MQM on non-VS operated but VS coded flights... Or any ways to get MQM on KE operated flights?
I flew LAX-SYD-DPS with the SYD-DPS on VA, this earns full MQM.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I flew LAX-SYD-DPS with the SYD-DPS on VA, this earns full MQM.
Interesting, and it earns a LOT of MQM lol.
Need to depart from JFK and eventually booked to fly JFK-AMS-CGK-CDG-JFK. It's a tiny bit more time efficient and still pretty good on the MQM.

Agree with earlier posters that DL is packed. Couldn't find a seat on the NRT/SIN flights.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:10 am
Suspended

Interesting, and it earns a LOT of MQM lol.
Need to depart from JFK and eventually booked to fly JFK-AMS-CGK-CDG-JFK. It's a tiny bit more time efficient and still pretty good on the MQM.

Agree with earlier posters that DL is packed. Couldn't find a seat on the NRT/SIN flights.
Fly CX JFK-HKG-CGK and credit to AS. Earn AS status. Or fly EK JFK-DXB-CGK and credit to AS. Earn AS status. Or fly KE JFK-ICN-CGK and credit to AS. Earn AS status.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:03 pm

Always DL

[QUOTE=mayhem;25790017]Hi all,

Looking to book travel to Indonesia and was shocked to see how low MQMs are on partner airlines "after 1 January 2015".
Was it me who was stupid to think that MQMs were earned on partner airlines like KE, VN, GA, etc. like on AF/KL? Was this always that bad, even before 2015?

Any experience maximizing MQM/miles to Indonesia on partner airlines? I'm looking through the fine print and finding that apparently even VS doesn't offer MQM on non-VS operated but VS coded flights... Or any ways to get MQM on KE operated flights?[/QUOT

Always book KE, et al., on a DL number and you will get full MQMs.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:55 pm

The best route to earn DL miles from North America to DPS is via Australia on Delta/Virgin Australia
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by TerryK
That reads to me as DL is doing well with TPAC flights and no need to attract more loyalty. My recent JFK-NRT flight was 100% full in D1. Using GUC, I was 1/4 on upgrade list and of course didn't clear (C was zeroed out a few days prior).
I was 3/4 for 1 at T-4 on JFK-NRT and just canceled the trip instead. (It wasn't a terribly important trip, I was mostly trying to burn 2 expiring GUCs.)

Meanwhile I've discovered oneworld's superior TPAC coverage (at least for my travel pattern) and am moving pretty much all my TPAC travel there, unless I happen to be able to clear DL globals at upgrade (which seems next to impossible now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.