Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUC and multiple segments question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
GUC and multiple segments question

Hi all,

I don't think I have seen this answered anywhere before, but I am in kind of a dilemma with my GUCS on a trip coming up very soon.

I am flying JFK-NRT-SIN and SIN-NRT-JFK in the near future. And while I was told that I would be able to use a single GUC to upgrade all of the legs in a given direction. I was told something a bit different when I called the Diamond desk just now. There are availability on some of the segments, but not all as of right this minute. So when I called in to confirm upgrades on the ones where there IS availability, I was told that if I go ahead and do that, I would have to pull a SECOND GUC to stay on the waitlist for the uncleared segment if I cleared at the gate or at another time between now and departure. Is this true? Or is it a HUACA situation?

Thanks!!

Last edited by CAETravlr; Nov 27, 2015 at 12:48 pm Reason: Clarification...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Hang up, call again.

Edit: missed part of your post. You need one GUC for each direction. If one segment in one direction clears, you do not need another GUC to remain on the wait list for the second segment.

Last edited by javabytes; Nov 27, 2015 at 12:45 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by CAETravlr
Hi all,

I don't think I have seen this answered anywhere before, but I am in kind of a dilemma with my GUCS on a trip coming up very soon.

I am flying JFK-NRT-SIN and SIN-NRT-JFK in the near future. And while I was told that I would be able to use a single GUC to upgrade the entire trip (if available) in both directions, I was told something a bit different when I called the Diamond desk just now. There are availability on some of the segments, but not all as of right this minute. So when I called in to confirm upgrades on the ones where there IS availability, I was told that if I go ahead and do that, I would have to pull a SECOND GUC to stay on the waitlist for the uncleared segment if I cleared at the gate or at another time between now and departure. Is this true? Or is it a HUACA situation?

Thanks!!
I swear I thought I posted this because I am also doing JFK - NRT - SIN - NRT - JFK and also using GUC's in the very near future (Feb to be exacxt).

What I can tell you is this...You need one GUC for the outbound regardless of the amount of stops and one GUC for the inbound regardless of the amount of stops. I also called and asked a similar question; if for example, NRT - SIN had OP open up but not JFK - NRT, would I be cleared for the NRT-SIN and still waitlisted for the JFK-NRT? I was told that yes but knowing how many times the DM agents mess this up, I am not sure what to believe at this point other then you def need two GUC's.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I was told that I would be able to use a single GUC to upgrade the entire trip (if available) in both directions
HUH?!?!?

1 GUC is supposed to be for or each one-way direction.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone had any luck with this using DLAssist?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
HUH?!?!?

1 GUC is supposed to be for or each one-way direction.

Sorry, I misstated, I was planning to use 2 GUCs on the trip, one for outbound, one for inbound. By entire trip, I meant JFK-NRT-SIN all the way in one direction, and another GUC for SIN-NRT-JFK. What I was told was that if I went ahead and cleared myself on the segments that had the inventory, I would have to use another GUC in a given direction if the other upgrade cleared later.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sorry, I misstated, I was planning to use 2 GUCs on the trip, one for outbound, one for inbound. By entire trip, I meant JFK-NRT-SIN all the way in one direction, and another GUC for SIN-NRT-JFK. What I was told was that if I went ahead and cleared myself on the segments that had the inventory, I would have to use another GUC in a given direction if the other upgrade cleared later.
This is wrong. It's one GUC per direction regardless of when the upgrades clear, assuming that you don't have a broken fare.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

it depends on how the agent applied them. The way mine are applied, if one of the two segments opens up on the inbound then that segment will get upgraded. When/If the other segment opens then that will get upgraded as well; and all on the same guc. I would call the DM line to see how they were applied.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Hang up, call again.

Edit: missed part of your post. You need one GUC for each direction. If one segment in one direction clears, you do not need another GUC to remain on the wait list for the second segment.

Thank you, this makes more sense. I had misstated what I meant initially because I am in such a hurry to get this resolved. I was referring to one GUC for all legs outbound, and one GUC for all legs returning.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should double check that you don't have a broken fare on your ticket.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:27 pm
mmc

Programs: DL Diamond, QF Gold
Double Post

Last edited by mmc; Nov 27, 2015 at 9:58 pm Reason: Double Post
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:31 pm
mmc

Programs: DL Diamond, QF Gold
To echo what people have said:

1) It's the entire one way direction.
2) You can choose to, say, apply it to a single sector so that, in your case you could have it apply to JFK-NRT only so that if that failed to clear you wouldn't waste an entire GUC on just NRT to SIN.
3) I've had GRU-ATL-SEA clear on GRU-ATL but waitlist on ATL-SEA and then had ATL-SEA clear separately.
4) I've currently got a GUC applied to just LAX-SYD on a SEA-LAX-SYD ticket so that either I keep the GUC or I get to sleep on the way to SYD. (I'm assuming SEA-LAX will upgrade, if not, then I can cope on a short flight).

The thing I'm not sure is if say, JFK-NRT clears then can you call up ask that NRT-SIN is applied against the GUC as well.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mmc
To echo what people have said:

1) It's the entire one way direction.
2) You can choose to, say, apply it to a single sector so that, in your case you could have it apply to JFK-NRT only so that if that failed to clear you wouldn't waste an entire GUC on just NRT to SIN.
3) I've had GRU-ATL-SEA clear on GRU-ATL but waitlist on ATL-SEA and then had ATL-SEA clear separately.
4) I've currently got a GUC applied to just LAX-SYD on a SEA-LAX-SYD ticket so that either I keep the GUC or I get to sleep on the way to SYD. (I'm assuming SEA-LAX will upgrade, if not, then I can cope on a short flight).

The thing I'm not sure is if say, JFK-NRT clears then can you call up ask that NRT-SIN is applied against the GUC as well.
1) As I said earlier, it's not the entire direction if there's a broken fare. It depends on the fare component. Also, at least for SWUs, you could een have a stopover and use a single GUC per direction if the fare allows stopovers versus being constructed with three one way fares.

Yes you can waitist only the most significant segment and when it clears add the other segments, still using a single GUC for the entire direction.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. The second agent I spoke with seemed to be a little better trained. I am upgraded on the two segments that had inventory as of yesterday and waitlisted for the others. None of the agents mentioned anything about a broken fare, but I didn't ask either. All seems to be in order as of right now.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:15 am
Suspended

Thanks guys. The second agent I spoke with seemed to be a little better trained. I am upgraded on the two segments that had inventory as of yesterday and waitlisted for the others. None of the agents mentioned anything about a broken fare, but I didn't ask either. All seems to be in order as of right now.
how soon are your flights? Mine are middle of Feb and non of the segments have cleared yet. Did they notify you by e mail of the upgraded segments?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Nov 28, 2015 at 6:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.