Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DM on PAID D1 ticket autorebooked in coach when flight had business class available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DM on PAID D1 ticket autorebooked in coach when flight had business class available

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's not just Delta. A couple of years ago I was flying MGA-MIA-ORD-RDU on AA on a Paid Business Class ticket. MGA-MIA got delayed so AA rebooked me MIA-RDU in Coach despite the fact there were 7+ empty F seats on the MIA-RDU flight and AA was still selling 6 tickets in my ticketed fare class.

In short, computers can be dumb.
Actually they can't. The computer just does what it is programmed by a human to do. The human is dumb for not having it rebook in correct cabin.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My other experience with being VIPRed was also extremely unsatisfactory. The short version is that I was flying PHL-MSP and when I was on the way to the airport, the flight was delayed by five minutes. I was auto rebooked for the next morning at 7 am to RDU and then to MSP at 5pm, with at least one segment in coach despite having bought a P fare. of course there was no notification until my boarding pass on the phone didn't work for TSA. Then I stood in line for over an hour since the kiosks wouldn't work for me and consequently missed the flight that I had been booked on. The airport agent put me on the next nonstop in FC, but it was about six hours late and I arrived into MSP around 3 am after being in the airport starting around 1 pm that day. Still, it was better than the RDU excursion in coach when I had paid for FC.

I really wish it were possible for elites to opt out of VIPR and just call to be rebooked in person.
Another reason to print boarding passes. Paper doesn't stop working.

(Why didn't you phone in rather than waiting in line? Once they fixed your itinerary, the kiosk should work.)
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SDQBound
My AF flight last christmas season got delayed by 15 minutes but arrived earlier than scheduled. By the time I arrived to JFK, I was already rebooked for the next day's connecting flight and my original flight was oversold. Fun times
Did you get IDB compensation? I don't think the airline gets to deny it because they chose to rebook you without need.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The scary thing is that if I hadn't noticed the unnecessary involuntary downgrade (about which DL failed to inform me) I could easily either have gotten boarding passes for the new flight and not realized the switch until I was on board, or I could have been in the uncomfortable position of trying to convince an AF transfer desk agent that I really had a business class ticket despite being booked in coach. I don't think I would have won that fight, nor would DL have given me an ex post refund. In fact, even if I had gotten a refund, breaking the fare to ticket one segment in (apparently) FULL Y would have resulted in little if any money being returned. Furthermore, I don't see how EC261 would have protected me.
I believe that credit for an involuntary downgrade is a specific percentage of the ticket price, and some courts have decided that when the airlines aren't cooperative that's of the full ticket price (not just the single segment).
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
I believe that credit for an involuntary downgrade is a specific percentage of the ticket price, and some courts have decided that when the airlines aren't cooperative that's of the full ticket price (not just the single segment).
That would be the EC261 rules, but it was the DL flight exUSA that was late.

If DL rebooked me into coach in IROPs, from the viewpoint of AF, I never would have had a business class ticket on the new flight, so they wouldn't see it as a downgrade.

I might have been able to fight with DL later for a refund, which normally isn't given for IROPs rebookings, but breaking the fare probably would have meant that I would have owed money to DL.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be the EC261 rules, but it was the DL flight exUSA that was late.

If DL rebooked me into coach in IROPs, from the viewpoint of AF, I never would have had a business class ticket on the new flight, so they wouldn't see it as a downgrade.

I might have been able to fight with DL later for a refund, which normally isn't given for IROPs rebookings, but breaking the fare probably would have meant that I would have owed money to DL.
But it's the intra-EU flight that was downgraded.

I'd fight with DL pointing out that I paid for J and they involuntarily rebooked me into Y, so I want the price difference between J and Y refunded.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I'd fight with DL pointing out that I paid for J and they involuntarily rebooked me into Y, so I want the price difference between J and Y refunded.
Then DL breaks the fare and sends me a bill. No thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then DL breaks the fare and sends me a bill. No thanks.
If I ask DL for a refund for services I paid for and didn't get, they don't get to arbitrarily re-fare a flown itinerary and attempt to charge me more. They just give me the refund (or decline to and I escalate).
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

If I ask DL for a refund for services I paid for and didn't get, they don't get to arbitrarily re-fare a flown itinerary and attempt to charge me more. They just give me the refund (or decline to and I escalate).
IIRC there's wording in the CoC to the effect that one isn't entitled to refunds as the result of IROPs rebookings, regardless of whether there's a downgrade or a rebooking onto a cheaper fare or cheaper routing, etc.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC there's wording in the CoC to the effect that one isn't entitled to refunds as the result of IROPs rebookings, regardless of whether there's a downgrade or a rebooking onto a cheaper fare or cheaper routing, etc.
If they really want to play that game, they'll be required to say that publicly where it will play against all their advertising. Is it really your experience that Delta always does the least it can? I've found it's generally reasonable in specific cases (albeit often unreasonable and foolish in large areas, like FCM and C+).
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:03 am
Original Poster

If they really want to play that game, they'll be required to say that publicly where it will play against all their advertising. Is it really your experience that Delta always does the least it can? I've found it's generally reasonable in specific cases (albeit often unreasonable and foolish in large areas, like FCM and C+).
I'd say mixed experiences, with macro policy matters more likely to be negative and micro individual elite agents inclined to do the best they can, although they seem to have less authority as time goes on, especially compared to the PMNW team.

Don't get me started about how they deal with lost bags.......
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM

You do know she sat in business?

I can't believe this has survived four pages now with something that was RECTIFIED almost immediately.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I can't believe this has survived four pages now with something that was RECTIFIED almost immediately.
you can change your settings to display 40 posts/page, which helps a bit

but there are a number of high-post-count individuals who really ought to figure out how to concatenate their responses to a series of points into a single post ... two of 'em account for almost a third of this thread
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
You do know she sat in business?
Yes, because she happened to notice Delta's attempt to downgrade her in time to do something about it. So we're discussing what happens when someone doesn't notice that.

What would you do if you were booked in paid-for D1, and IRROPS caused you to be downgraded on an intra-EU segment, and you didn't notice until arrival at CDG at which point AF would say only that you had a Y ticket, because that's all they see on their system? Would you complain and expect compensation for not getting what you paid for, or start saying WFBFHYSIF? (Want F, buy F, hope you sit in F)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say mixed experiences, with macro policy matters more likely to be negative and micro individual elite agents inclined to do the best they can, although they seem to have less authority as time goes on, especially compared to the PMNW team.
I've found individual agents are usually pretty good, but (thanks in large part to FT) I know what to ask for (especially when they can't give me what I want but agree I should get it).

Don't get me started about how they deal with lost bags.......
I've had some problems with that, too. Especially when they neglect scanning (in at least one case it's likely my bags were at the same airport I was but nobody knew they'd flown).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.